Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is just to relate my Valair NMU70241-01 HD clutch experience. I thought I would save some money and use the Valair and was told it would hold under the Dp tuner on 140 extreme........it doesn't.:doh: It holds better than the stock clutch to be sure but it still slips. I usually break in clutches for 500 miles but broke this one in for almost 1300 since they told me it has a 1000 mile break in, I wouldn't even let my 16 year old use it for driving lessons. On 140 extreme in 5th or 6th if you floorboard the go pedal hard it slips. I knew I should have just saved a little longer and bought a South Bend. With this economy and fuel costs its gonna take awhile to save the cash but I will be replacing this thing with a nice south bend as soon as I can and since I want bigger sticks and a bb turbo I'll just save longer and get one that will hold that. I used the 140 extreme for the first time with this Valair clutch yesterday on my way to work in the morning, I think I cursed that thing all the way to work after it slipped. This clutch was installed on the 99 in my signature.

·
Premium Member
9,472 Posts
Interesting...

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My truck isn't pushing much power as it is now and certainly not the 450 they state this clutch will hold. I guess I'll just have to baby it till I can get a good clutch.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I broke my own "you get what you pay for" rule. I will not buy a aluminized exhaust, cheap tuners, etc... so naturally I go buy a cheap clutch :tard: I don't know what I was thinking. :dunno:

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
that sucks man I feel your pain.. when my clutch went south I ALMOST bought a Valair.. then I sat and thought about "what if it don't hold and I have to pull this ***** apart again and then spend $1000 on a SBC now I have $1600 into 2 clutches and had to pull my tranny 2 times" the next day I was on the phone with Peter at SBC and have been motoring happily for the last 10,000 miles or so..

NOTE to Valair and their customers.. I'm not saying you have a inferior product, I never used one of your clutches so I have no first hand knowledge with it... Just stating my experience with my South Bend, it has been fabulous.. there were too many reviews on SBC to not get one that has been tried, tested and true

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just to update here. I just got off the phone with Dan, owner of Valair. It seems I just got bad advice from the distributor I purchased the clutch from. Dan is a real nice guy and stands behind his product 100%. He is going to make it right with me and ship me the correct clutch for my truck and the tuner. After talking to Dan I would not hesitate to run a Valair clutch again, I would just call them and make sure I got the right one first. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
5,437 Posts
Just to update here. I just got off the phone with Dan, owner of Valair. It seems I just got bad advice from the distributor I purchased the clutch from. Dan is a real nice guy and stands behind his product 100%. He is going to make it right with me and ship me the correct clutch for my truck and the tuner. After talking to Dan I would not hesitate to run a Valair clutch again, I would just call them and make sure I got the right one first. :thumb:
Man that's awesome to know i just put one in my 97. I have been keeping track of this thread since you started it and i was getting worried i made a bad decision.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Man that's awesome to know i just put one in my 97. I have been keeping track of this thread since you started it and i was getting worried i made a bad decision.
All I can say is if you have any troubles or questions just contact Dan at Valair and I am sure they will do their best to make it right with you or help you correct the problem. A little courtesy and respect go a long way normally.

·
Premium Member
5,437 Posts
It's really great to know he stands behind his products. I have no problems at all with my clutch and hopefully it stays that way.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes it does. BTW did you happen to talk to Dan about this BEFORE posting here?
No I didn't but sure wish I did and as I explained to Dan I did not intend this to be a slam but merely a post on my experience. He was very understanding and knows his product to be sure.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
This is just to relate my Valair NMU70241-01 HD clutch experience. I thought I would save some money and use the Valair and was told it would hold under the Dp tuner on 140 extreme........it doesn't.:doh: It holds better than the stock clutch to be sure but it still slips. I usually break in clutches for 500 miles but broke this one in for almost 1300 since they told me it has a 1000 mile break in, I wouldn't even let my 16 year old use it for driving lessons. On 140 extreme in 5th or 6th if you floorboard the go pedal hard it slips. I knew I should have just saved a little longer and bought a South Bend. With this economy and fuel costs its gonna take awhile to save the cash but I will be replacing this thing with a nice south bend as soon as I can and since I want bigger sticks and a bb turbo I'll just save longer and get one that will hold that. I used the 140 extreme for the first time with this Valair clutch yesterday on my way to work in the morning, I think I cursed that thing all the way to work after it slipped. This clutch was installed on the 99 in my signature.

Just got off the phone with Beans Diesel Performance. Ryan Bean is very knowledgeable on Fords and what the add ons will produce. The DP tuner set on extreme will give you 650-675 real wheel torque. The clutch you were sold is listed on Valair's web site as being able to hold 900 ft lb of torque.

NMU70241-01
$390.87 13" x 1.375" Stock Organic Replacement
Premium Brass Woven Organic Facings
HD Spring Hub
Rated @ 400HP / 900 ft lbs Torque
3400# Pressure Plate
Kit includes: 3400# Pressure Plate, Clutch Disc, Release Bearing, Pilot Bearing and Alignment Tool.

Were you sold the incorrect clutch or are the ratings incorrect? If the salesman goes by the ratings offered, shouldn't the clutch have held? :confused: Any labor being offered?

Glad to here he is working with you though.

Peter
SBC

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
with my Wildmans tunes on extreme my Con OFE has held up just fine.. I have even towed my 8000lb trailer with it on extreme (by accident I had forgot to put it in tow mode) and was pulling uphill with throttle on the floor boards in 6th until I noticed my egts way up LOL and switched tunes to tow heavy... no clutch slip at all its rated for 450hp and 900 ft lbs as well...

just my .02 worth

Disclaimer:

I am not related, employed by or affiliated with SBC in any financial way.. I'm just a happy and satisfied customer of theirs :rofl:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm perfectly satisfied now, getting a better clutch. I just have to install it is all, first I have to find the time to do it.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
never ever replace with a stock replacement clutch... kinda like replacing ujoints with stock parts, just gonna kill it again......
I didn't think I was getting a stock replacement. Got my new clutch from Valair yesterday now I just gotta put it in. I'm going to try to get it in this weekend but its not looking very promising right now.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
NMU70241-01
$390.87 13" x 1.375" Stock Organic Replacement
Premium Brass Woven Organic Facings
HD Spring Hub
Rated @ 400HP / 900 ft lbs Torque
3400# Pressure Plate
Kit includes: 3400# Pressure Plate, Clutch Disc, Release Bearing, Pilot Bearing and Alignment Tool.

that dont look like a stock replacement to me

·
***mins Sell-out
783 Posts
I've talked to the boys at Valair more then a few times, that is pretty much a stock replacement.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts