Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get my 4x4 working before this winter. It works fine if I manually lock the hubs but with all the miles I put on a day I don't want to leave them locked at highway speeds.

So I've looked for a leak but can't find one. My vents default to defrost when switched to 4x4 but after the pump cycles the air returns to the vents and stays there then the pump shuts off. The hubs still won't lock though.

If it was a vacuum leak, wouldn't the pump stay running?

Does this sound like the pvh solenoid has gone bad?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone????

·
Registered
497 Posts
Anyone????
Have you disconnected hoses and checked with a vacuum gauge? It's a pulse system so it might be better to get a helper to turn the esof switch while you read the gauge. The solenoid is not a cheap part, as I recall, so I wouldn't replace it just because.
Hub bearing seals are famous for failing and causing this. And a pain to replace.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If the hubs are leaking wouldn't that cause the pump to run constantly.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just an update incase anyone else runs into this kind of issue. It happened to be the solenoid was bad. The check ball was rusted in position. 5 min fix and all is good again

·
Registered
185 Posts
Just an update incase anyone else runs into this kind of issue. It happened to be the solenoid was bad. The check ball was rusted in position. 5 min fix and all is good again
Sounds good man.

Glad you got it worked out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts