Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
on a 2006 powerstroke,I have a vacuum leak someplace between the vacuum pump reservoir and "end of the lines" One at a time, I took off the line at the front wheel and blocked it off, but the pump would not stop pumping indicating a leak somewhere......but where? does this line branch and go someplace else. I have blocked it off by the reservoir so the pump wont run continuously, but am I putting something else at risk or causing something else to not work properly?

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Was your hvac set to defrost? I had a similar issue, no matter what I did, still ran. I unlocked the hubs, put it to defrost, it filled and stopped and I never had an issue again.

Reactions: genezimmer

·
Administrator
29,485 Posts
I took off the line at the front wheel and blocked it off, but the pump would not stop pumping indicating a leak somewhere
that does not necessarily indicate a leak unless you just selected 4x4 with the dash switch and even then it times out the vacuum signal in less than a minute.

but where? does this line branch and go someplace else.
it runs from the PVH solenoid on the fender to a T and then to both steering knuckles

I have blocked it off by the reservoir so the pump wont run continuously, but am I putting something else at risk or causing something else to not work properly?
nothing at risk of damage but depending on where you blocked it off you may be loosing HVAC functionality .

one of the most common fails is one or both of the wheel seals is bad and that normally just impeded 4x4 when commanded but if the PVH solenoid fails then you have a constant leak

to eliminate pull the vacuum fitting and put a golf tee or some typ of plug in the line that supplies vacuum

another common issue can be a cracked reservoir or rubber vacuum connector

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that does not necessarily indicate a leak unless you just selected 4x4 with the dash switch and even then it times out the vacuum signal in less than a minute.

it runs from the PVH solenoid on the fender to a T and then to both steering knuckles

nothing at risk of damage but depending on where you blocked it off you may be loosing HVAC functionality .

one of the most common fails is one or both of the wheel seals is bad and that normally just impeded 4x4 when commanded but if the PVH solenoid fails then you have a constant leak

to eliminate pull the vacuum fitting and put a golf tee or some typ of plug in the line that supplies vacuum

another common issue can be a cracked reservoir or rubber vacuum connector
ok. I have pulled apart the vac line to the wheels where the elbow is(not too far from the reservoir), and capped off both ends. now the hvac works properly (before it would only blow through the defrost vents (which are rarely a necessity here in southern calif ). so now to find the leak. I think I will pull off the lines to the wheel assembly and block off both and see if the pump will shut down after a minute or two (indicating the reservoir is full, I believe)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts