Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 F250 and the IWE were not working so I capped the vacuum lines and have been just using the manual hubs to engage 4x4. Will the defective vacuum actuators allow contamination into the hub/bearings? I'm about to replace the factory hubs with an aftermarket set and was going to leave the defective actuators in place. Will this cause any grief?

·
Administrator
29,483 Posts
the ""manual Hubs"" you have been using to use 4x4 are the actual actuators for the Auto hub feature

just make sure you cap the vacuum port on the knuckle and I would cap the line feeding the PVH solenoid on the fender since it could fail and cause a leak

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The part I'm concerned about is the one that the vacuum connects to. On my F150 it was called an Integrated Wheel End. I was wondering if water or contamination could get in since the vacuum diaphragm was no longer sealed. Thanks for the advice about capping the port on the knuckle, is this the only place water can get in?

·
Premium Member
3,733 Posts
water can get in around the axle seal -- especially if you are driving in deep water
in any case, if you intend to do that -- a thorough disassembly when you get back home is required

The 150 hubs work different -- but would still suffer the same with deep water

The axle shaft seal is the part that holds the vacuum

Reactions: 97350

·
Registered
31 Posts
What is the vacuum actually for on the F250 with manual locking hubs??? Mine is an 05, but I also have an 05 F150 FX4 and I know ALL about those crappy IWE actuators. I've had to replace them maaannyy times. I saw the vacuum line on the SD hubs, but I wondered what it does. I leave my hubs locked in on the F250 most of the time, and just turn the dial on the dash to engage 4WD when I need it. When I turn the dial back to 2 HI it switches back without any issue.

Doug

·
Premium Member
3,733 Posts
The IWE actuators have a design flaw that a plastic backup ring from a hydraulic cylinder kit will fix

The Super Duty hubs work differently -- basically like an ink pen
push to lock, push again to unlock
whereas, the IWE is always on(spring applied) and takes vacuum to release

Both systems are pretty reliable and convenient if they are maintained

1 - 6 of 6 Posts