Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am using between 1.5-2 quarts every ~400 miles in my 2002 PSD. I only have 84K. I have no visble leaks and its not smoking. I am a newbie to diesels but from the reading I have done, it seems that I might have bad injector o-rings. Any checks I can do to verify this? Any other ideas...Are replacing the O-rings DIY or should I take it to a dealer?

Thanks

·
Registered
511 Posts
The injector o-rings were fix by 2002 but might be an issue. The turbo could be leaking and sending it through the intercooler.

It is not leaking correct?

·
Registered
659 Posts
pull the cover off the fuel filter housing and pull out the filter and look in the bottom of the housing and see if there is any oil laying in the bottom

·
Registered
511 Posts
pull the cover off the fuel filter housing and pull out the filter and look in the bottom of the housing and see if there is any oil laying in the bottom
Have new filter ready the cap o-ring will swell and won't fit once you remove the cap.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So if I got oil in the fuel filter assembly, what does that mean?

Easy fix?
Hard fix?

·
Registered
511 Posts
It depends on your skills and mechanical ability. I would say easy you start with replacing the injector o-rings.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Took it to the dealer and all my injectors checked out good on a tester.
The mechanic said next test would be to take off the valve covers and crank it up and see if on injector is "slinging too much oil." If I did this myself would it be obvious which one could be giving me a problem...and what is the fix?

Also I am going to change the O-rings and see if that fixes it while I have it torn apart.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Changing O-rings

After I take our the oil drain plugs, where does that oil go?

and

Once I re-install the injectors, do I need to fill up the HPOP before I crank it?

Any other tips would be appreciated.

·
Registered
511 Posts
What oil plugs and why are you removing them?

When I remove/install injectors, I remove the injectors and the gp's. Depending on your time frame or budget you could send the injectors off to Casserly to have them flowed and inspected or just re-oring them yourself.

Pull injector put back in, remove all gp's, put VC's back on, then with a ratchet turn the engine over several times to push the fuel and oil out of the cylinders. Install gp's with old or new (your choice) and it will fire faster if you fill the reservoir but not necessary. Before starting cycle the key a few times to build fuel pressure.

Put a location in your profile and look in the state forums for local help
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/forums-state-hometown-forums/

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
According to this video from Maintain..
"They are located between the #1 & #3, #5 & #7, #2 & #4 and #6 & #8 injectors"

Here is the link :http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/7-3-mod-help/42555-injector-r-r.html

I guess these just reduce the amount of oil that flows in after injector removal.

I was just curious as to where it goes when it drains out.

Maybe they are more trouble than they are worth.

Also taking your advice and putting in new glow plugs, while I have them out.

Any other gotcha's for this procedure?

Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK,

So, that extra oil will get pumped back up to the HPOP and rails when I go to start...

I guess I might be being anal on where the oil is going...but since I am trying to fix an oil consumption problem, I am trying to keep track of it.

So oil goes out of plugs back to engine(~2qts), then gets pumped back up as it builds pressure in the rails upon start up...

So I should not be down much oil after this....right

1 - 12 of 12 Posts