Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all, working on a 02' 7.3 with around 100,000 miles on it, truck came to us using 4 qts of oil a day.... after doing some research we found that the turbo was leaking oil. replaced it with reman. gave the truck back and it was back a few day later still leaking oil, did and rag test no oil coming from turbo, and no signs of external leaks. any help would be great. The truck doesn't smoke when driving it, maybe a little on start up but nothing out of the ordinary???? help???:dunno:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 99 w/168K miles on it, It just started leaking oil. I was told the turbo was leaking. I was also tolt the high pressure oil pump was leaking ??

When you changed the turbo was there oil in the intake tubes?

·
Registered
6 Posts
If the HPOP is leaking you'll see oil in the "valley" between the heads, and puddling on the ground below the bell housing, making it look like a rear seal leak. Its easy to see if its leaking out the HPOP lines in any case, click the link in my sig to view a pic.

I haven't had to deal with the leaking turbo pedestal yet so I'm not much help there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To answer CROWN MAN, the inter cooler pipe will have oil in the from the crank case vent in the intake, but and easy way to check the turbo is to pull off the hot side of the inter cooler pipe move it out of the way start the truck and hold a clean white rag on the discharge of the of the turbo, but make sure that u clean off any standing oil first. you may have a few codes show up but this is ok. run the truck for a few minuets it you see oil collecting on the rag the internal o-ring in the turbo is bad. To update everyone on what i found i ended up changing the o-ring on the injectors the pink o-ring between the oil and fuel was bad on driver side so i changes all 4 injector o-ring on that side and so far good!!!:icon_ford:

·
I am that hot
1,762 Posts
go away doug.

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
me to i was to the point where i was about to sell the truck thinking the engine was shot, then i read online about the orings and sure enogh my fuel was black in the bowl.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I had mine leak behind the HPOP and another oil leak come from the dogbox shortly after I bought the truck.

·
I am that hot
1,762 Posts
so far the truck is running good, hasnt been back in dougs shop in a few weeks. this other guys chevy truck 6.5 diesel is there and let me tell you, what a pos. It has taken over a week to get it running, and not that great but still running.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I want to fix the o-ring this Sat.
How do ya get the lines off? I know about the tool, but what do ya do with it? Do you pry them off?
Thanks..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts