Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am looking to purchase a 2011 F250 6.7 powerstroke next week. The truck has about 165k miles. It has a check engine light which the code reads P20BA (5 times). I got to drive the truck back home which is a long way. Across the state of Florida, about 170 miles. Will the truck make it there without it being damaged by a possible clogged emissions? It is a very clean truck. Trucks been in Florida all its life, not one spec of rust and it is completely stock.

Last question. I am looking to do an aftermarket exhaust and delete all the emissions. I want ZERO problems with all those systems and sensors. I was told that I would need a tuner installed if I wanted to do this. I have also heard that tunes are what destroy 6.4's and 6.7's because they change the "timing" (from the powerstrokehelp guy). Now that being said, is it possible to have an tune to delete the emissions but keep the performance of the truck stock? and what tuner would be best for me?

P.S.
Brand new to the Powerstroke world, this is my first diesel truck. I am sure I am wrong on some things as I do not know much. I also wanted to thank all of you in advance for taking the time to help me. Happy new year!

·
Premium Member
4,502 Posts
You won't make it far with a p20ba code before it derates and eventually puts you into idle only mode. It needs to be addressed. Or tuned and deleted before a significant drive.
Yes. There are tunes that can delete the emissions only without any change to performance so to speak.
I wouldn't take what powerstrokehelp says as gospel,btw

PS, you seem to be very interested in this unit, but personally, I would try and find a 12+
I've just seen more issues with 11's than any other year. That's not to say that this truck wouldn't give you a lifetime of worry free driving. Just saying from what I've experienced

Reactions: HellorHighWater

·
Registered
603 Posts
Some early 2011's had exhaust valve issues that were expensive to fix. You might want to determine if an early or late build...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So making the trip back will be a no go? The last thing I want to do is buy a truck and send it straight to the mechanic to spend more money.
And yes I have been looking for months. Very picky on the options. But I am hoping something else pops. I will call tomorrow and see if I can find out how far into 2011 it was built.

·
Registered
603 Posts
There was some problem with the metallurgy on the initial batch of valves which caused a small portion of engines to grenade when the valve head broke off- resulting in requiring purchase of a new motor. Due to engine damage, I belive some were not able to get a core credit on a rebuilt engine because block was unrepairable. There are some threads worth reading which shed light on the time period of suspect valves to help determine if the truck you are looking at is in the range.

·
Premium Member
4,502 Posts
At 165k, if it were one, it would have happened and been done by now.
Op, have a dealer fax you a print up of the Oasis report by VIN.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts