Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I recently recovered my 2002 F350 crew dually 4x4 7.3 after being stolen. Thankfully they didn’t strip, wreck or burn the truck, but they did tear up the underdash and center jump seat console. One of the items they destroyed was the dash mounted electronic clutch cooling fan switch made by US Gears. It had several features 1) in normal mode a micro switch wires into the throttle peddle would lock up the clutch at idle and disengage off idle. 2) push a button and it would lock out the clutch at all engine speeds unless the temps tripped an override. 3) would lock in at all engine speeds for additional cooling requirements. Well the a’holes tried to pry it offf the dash and broke the circuit board and something is missing between to harnesses. I’m guessing it was a micro switch. This was on the truck when I bought it back in 2004. I can’t find any information on it or parts to repair it. I went to US Gears website but they seem to only be a ring and pinion /overdrive supplier. I emailed them and never got a reply. Does any body have any information for this device, replacement parts, or suggestion for an alternative. I liked this feature as I could increase my mileage by locking out the fan hen not needed and would really pull air when heavy hauling. I pull a 53’ triple axle Haulmark Edge, tree chippers, stump grinders, etc.

They unbolted the fuse panel, and ECMs but didn’t steal the ECMs so basically they ripped stuff up but didn’t steal anything but personal belongings, hub caps and lug nut covers.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Bill C

View attachment 776639

·
Administrator
32,118 Posts
sorry about your drama that really sucks
7.3 fan clutch is a standalone unit so electronically locking in or out is not an option
unless that company supplied a different fan clutch like a 6.0 would use, and then it would need to implement puls width modulated signals to control

·
Administrator
32,118 Posts
found this

The Power of the Cyclone Harness a load of power and performance with the revolutionary Cyclone Power Fan. Designed to work with diesel powered trucks and RVs, the Cyclone Power Fan harnesses the wind to: · Add Up To 40 More Horsepower · Better Fuel Mileage · Improve Engine and Transmission Cooling · Increase Air Conditioning Performance · Assists in Down-hill Braking Power The Principle Behind the Cyclone A stock engine fan clutch is designed to operate continuously, regardless of drivetrain temperatures. Whenever the fan is operating it is a parasitic draw on both horsepower and fuel economy. The Cyclone Power Fan is designed to recoup this continual loss of power and performance. Extensive tests on PowerStroke vehicles show that the engine fan on these vehicles are typically needed for cooling only 2% of the time. In normal driving conditions, 98% of the time, ram air is sufficient to keep the drivetrain cool. the fan is needed when outside temperatures are excessive, or when a vehicle is sitting stationary for a long period of time. In all other operating conditions the fan is simply a drain on power and fuel. The Logic of the Cyclone The Cyclone is designed to automatically disengage the fan when outside temperatures and normal ram air is sufficient to cool the drivetrain. Remember, most of the time there is sufficient air created from normal acceleration to keep the engine cool without running the fan. The Cyclone also will engage the fan, when operating conditions warrant added cooling. But unlike the stock fan clutch, the Cyclone Power Fan synchronizes the fan's rotation to each engine revolution, spinning it much faster than the stock fan clutch. This improved technology provides much improved cooling to the engine and transmission. With the Cyclone installed, there is a marked difference in air conditioner performance. There will be a dramatic increase in coolness and improved air volume. Back to Top Fluid Thermistor Control Unit Harnesses The Wind For More Power And Performance The Cyclone Power Fan replaces the factory, or original equipment, fan clutch. The O.E. fan clutch is controlled by changes only in air temperature. Working on the same principle as an electromagnetic air conditioner compressor clutch, the Cyclone Power Fan completely disengages the stock fan or engages it on an as-need basis as determined by a state-of-the-art, fluid thermistor control unit. The attractive control unit is conveniently mounted in the cab and has two main features: 1) a manual override option to activate high-powered cooling control and, 2) thermistor fluid sensors that read changes in outside temperature, engine coolant and transmission fluid temperature, engine coolant and transmission fluid temperatures. As the outside temperature rises, throttle position changes, or as coolant fluid temperature changes, indicating stressful operating conditions, the Cyclone will engage the fan for added cooling to the engine and cab. A highly visible power light on the unit indicates when the Cyclone has engaged or disengaged the fan. New Technology Reaps Rewards In Power And Performances When the fan is disengages, expect a significant increase in horsepower and fuel mileage. Dyno tests repeatedly show gains of 40 more horsepower and an increase in fuel mileage on Ford PowerStroke. Downhill braking performance is improved with the Cyclone. In downhill towing when braking is most stressful to the vehicle, use the Cyclone to manually engage the fan and safely add powerful retarding horsepower to slow the momentum of your vehicle. The Value Of The Cyclone The Cyclone Power Fan is a better overall value than either power chips or performance headers and exhaust systems in delivering horsepower, performance and fuel savings. Priced substantially less, the Cyclone delivers the same increase in horsepower and fuel savings, but only the Cyclone delivers improved air conditioner performance, improved cooling to the engine and transmission and can assist with engine braking. The Cyclone has a big performance impact for a relatively low price. Unlike performance power chips, the Cyclone does not need calibration. And unlike performance exhaust systems, the Cyclone does not in any way effect emissions. The Cyclone, hands down, is the best way to reap a constant reward of up to 40 more horsepower and more fuel mileage, mile after mile. Cyclone Applications The Cyclone is easy to install and is designed for installation specifically on Ford PowerStroke. It is especially beneficial for commercial fleets where the vehicle spends a lot of time sitting stationary while the engine is running to operate: changing systems, hydraulics, PTO's, life-support equipment and air conditioning.
patent states it is an electromagnet fan clutch so I am thinking it was not as sophisticated as a PWM fan like the 6.0 and probably why they abandoned the patent in short order after the 6.0 came out

·
Administrator
32,118 Posts
post #13 interesting and it does look like that fan was all on or all off ,, not really an ideal solution IMO

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
post #13 interesting and it does look like that fan was all on or all off ,, not really an ideal solution IMO

ZMANN
Thank you for your responses. And the Cyclone page. You wouldn’t happen to have the parts list, installation instructions or schematics. The fan actually has worked quite well for and I’d hate to lose it. I’m missing an item that went between the broken controller switch harness and another harness that I am not not able to determine where it goes. The truck is at a shop quite a distance from where I am.

·
Administrator
32,118 Posts
Those threads may be old I was not really suggesting any resources more of the history of the part, and it's fall from popularity

i would not want an all on or off fan it makes no sense to me

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Simply stated, I don’t want a power robbing hydraulic clutch fan and I don’t want to buy all the crap to go back to stock. The cyclone has been a great set up, trouble free, well suited for my needs and I just need to find the pieces to fix it or figure out another controller set up. I’m sure there may be someone who has pieces from a setup that failed or was removed that might be of help. Installation Literature would be helpful as well so I know what I’m missing

·
Administrator
32,118 Posts
the fan parameters you listed seem pretty simple to duplicate with a relay or two , a selector switch and the sensors that are likely already installed with that kit

Idle =fan on for AC
on all the time

on at full throttle

on with temp override etc etc

you can use the basics of an electric fan cooling controller since your fan is basically an electric fan , on or off

just avoid the newer style PWM controllers

for example

·
Administrator
32,118 Posts
Interesting read

·
Premium Member
10,345 Posts
Man I guess people are just more picky these days... If the company was really that good it would be a super common issue/upgrade for the 7.3l? Yet my 22yr old fan/clutch has worked flawlessly robbing all the power in the world lol...

Im all for upgrades and fixes but the company hasn't been around say 15+ years? You have three options:

go back to stock
go with a diy kit
talk to an electrical shop like one that installs alarms and see if they can suggest a repair or mod to get your kit working again.

Every search I did about "power robbing fans" was for gas engines and anything larger than the standard v6 saw minimal gains. Interested to see if you get your kit repaired though.

·
Administrator
23,311 Posts
Lets not get carried away bashing OP because he wants his truck back the way it was before someone took it from him.

I think we all agree there is better technology, but that doesnt change what he is asking for.
We know people still put 2 stroke oil in the fuel and put the tail gate down for MPGs, if we provide all the upgrades and solutions and OP still wants his fan then so be it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you Heavy_GD.

In trying to research alternative solutions i have found most all of the websites are now dead mules. I came across what was called a Rev Gear Cyclone Power Fan. There was a website for RevGear and when the page was opened there was the product. But it seems that the website also is no longer viable as when I tried to send them a inquiry/ contact form the screen said something about servers yada yada. I’m neither tech savvy or a DIY electronics guru. Im just an old man who liked what had been a trouble free device since I purchased the truck in 2004. I can attest to the fan’s effectiveness and it’s use as a “engine brake” when driving down steep grades.

It seems to me that most of the nay sayers of the product have never had firsthand experience with it, but are simply repeating something that was heard or read. Well I’m sure that any product that has ever been manufactured has had a percentage of failures. For those who experienced those failures the product will always be considered junk. For those whose experience has been positive they will sing it’s praises.

I’m 65 years old, disabled and on a meager fixed disability income. For me to retrofit a new system, pay CA shop rates to do the work or for me to try and figure out a wiring system of widgets is basically out of the question. I simply can’t afford it. As for adopting the 6.0 fan set up don’t I already basically have that with my Horton EC420 fan? So what I really need is a harness to support it? Is there a retrofit harness that can be purchased for the earlier 7.3? Maybe I’m not asking the right questions here But I really need a plug and play alternative if I’m unable to find the missing bits to my US Gear. Makes me wonder if maybe that is what the thieves were after all along. To steal components to fix a broken system of their own. No matter what their motives were it has left me with a big mess to try and sort out. I don’t know any reputable independent diesel shops in the Sacramento CA. I have always done the basic and preventative maintenance needs to my truck. Otherwise it went to my local Ford dealer when I had a serious issue. Sadly rather than being true mechanics they seem to be glorified parts changers as they do is throw parts at a problem until the the truck is running again. That gets very expensive very fast.

·
Administrator
32,118 Posts
Since this fan is so basic it would be easy to hook up a temporary switch if this is keeping you from driving the truck .

as far as first-hand knowledge and peoples suggestions , thanks to the internet and folks sharing their first-hand experiences not everyone needs to make the same mistakes on their own

that being said you do not need any experience to let you know that a progressive fan is more efficient than an on off fan , so folks were just trying to steer you in a more practical direction.

After you elaborated on your situation it became 100% understandable why you would be better off fixing what you have .

i looked for any other info and used control modules via all my resources but no luck so far
keep us posted

·
Premium Member
10,345 Posts
I would contact a local auto electronic shop. Most have a flat rate but if they got a chance they may only charge you an hour or so to get the system up and running.
look at the thread here for locals near you. WCS California chat I spent many years around their from the military and if you pop in and say hey they may be able to refer you to a local auto electronics shop to get you up and going again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts