Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife is out in our Ex right now and the drivers window wont roll all the way up. I am assuming it will still roll down but just not up from a certain point (havent confirmed because she is furious).. Anyone has similar situation? Need help bad. Looks like rain and Ex wont fit in garage. Is the window on a pully system and cables? What should I look for. When she gets home I will be tearing the door panel off. Any help is great. She is furious because we already sunk money into the oil cooler swap and now this... Help a brotha out, PLEASE:doh:

·
Registered
158 Posts
try just using your hands on both inside and outside to help the window up. it should go up if you help it out. My old F150 did this one time and i had to just "help" it up

hope it works for you and good luck!

·
Registered
158 Posts
power windows or crank up?

iIf it's a power window check and see if the window is making any noise and if it isn't check the fuses, relays exc...

if it's a crank up you'll see how it works onece you get the door panel off.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
power windows or crank up?

iIf it's a power window check and see if the window is making any noise and if it isn't check the fuses, relays exc...

if it's a crank up you'll see how it works onece you get the door panel off.
Eddie Bauer, so they are power windows... Dead spot in motor??

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Eddie Bauer, so they are power windows... Dead spot in motor??
Ok, the Boss just called.. window wont move at all, but all the other windows work properly. Does the fuse run them all? Switch gone bad??

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Tell the boss you'll get to workin' on it right after your break. Or better yet, tell her that you'll get it fixed right now by trading it for new one! Better have the couch ready....:hehe:

Anyway, on my Jeep 1 of the power windows went totally out but the other 3 worked and fortunately it went out in the up position. New motor was in store!

To get yours up, if you cannot grab it to hopefully give the motor a little help, you may need to take off the door panel and see if you can assist that way.

However to a point made here, it could be a switch too.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tell the boss you'll get to workin' on it right after your break. Or better yet, tell her that you'll get it fixed right now by trading it for new one! Better have the couch ready....:hehe:

Anyway, on my Jeep 1 of the power windows went totally out but the other 3 worked and fortunately it went out in the up position. New motor was in store!

To get yours up, if you cannot grab it to hopefully give the motor a little help, you may need to take off the door panel and see if you can assist that way.

However to a point made here, it could be a switch too.
I guess my plan is to see if window looks straight and hope its not off track. Then pull plug to motor and apply direct power to see if it moves. If not its the motor, if it does move then its the switch.

·
Registered
637 Posts
While the motor is somewhat different from this unit (it is a Chrysler power window unit used to deploy stairs on my EarthRoamer) it is fundamentally the same as all power window units:

The 12v electric motor turns a worm gear that in turn rotates the main gear. Take note that the inner space of the main gear is triangular in this model's case. The metal transfer ring that holds the reduction gear to operate the window (or stairs in my case) has a similar but smaller triangular shape. On the postcard you see the remains of three nylon/plastic plugs that occupy the space between the corners of the offset triangles. These plugs serve as a shock absorber of sorts as all electric motors generate full torque at all times and upon start/stop could fracture the main gear. These plugs may be replaced. In my case, I used a 3/4-inch rubber plug cut down and shaved to fit for better flexibility as the nylon/plastic plugs have a tendency to fracture on my stairs.

It might not be that your unit has this failure mode but the motor is an easily serviced item.

Good luck. Hope you stay out of the doghouse...

Jonathan

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Disaster averted...motor was typical and just on a big gear that rolled the window up. Motor worked but under load it failed... easy fix.. $50

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
Way to go Bruce. Has she calmed down yet? :wink[3]:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts