Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here's my story... last summer my 97 PSD had an issue starting, fixed it, now it's happening again!!! every once in a while it just wouldn't start. it would crank but not fire. checked all of the typical things, batteries etc... When cranking relay #4 (under the hood drivers side) would make a loud cranking noise. Also, i could tell when it wasn't going to start because the wait to start light would not come on. Also, when it wasn't going to start, the typical "dinging" that occurs when the glow plugs are warming up sounded distorted. It eventually starts but you have to wait awhile before it will. All of this is happening randomly again! Except, this time, when I can get it started the emergency brake and ABS light remains on when I'm driving, and when I go to start it and it won't start my overdrive light OFF is on. WHAT IS HAPPENING?? Last summer we tracked it back to the alternator and it ended up that one of the wires was wiggling loose.... checked them tonight when this happened and they're ok HELP

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
PCM problem or the relay could have gotton mositure in it causing it to rust. I had a relay go bad on my air horns and it wasn't good. Air Horns going off at 3 in the morning is a suprise.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i've replaced that relay twice... Ford doesn't even know the codes my rig is putting out when this orignally happened i was pretty much walking in the dark, once we found the loose wire all problems went away, but not this time

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Well my moms truck one day wouldn't start and the ABS light was on and it turned out the PCM was bad. Her truck is a 2000 PSD. But maybe for the brake light your brake fluid could be low.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'll look into it, luckily a buddy of mine owns a truck shop so he can check it out, just sucks its my only vehicle! i'm stranded when it won't start!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
any other ideas??? Need anything I can get at this point

·
Registered
307 Posts
10 to 1 its a ground problem it's going to be fun finding it though

1 - 8 of 8 Posts