Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I did a quick search to see if this was a widely known problem and didn't see anything, and I think people running the 6637 filter should know if they don't already. If everyone else is already enlightened about this then I'm sorry for wasting your time.

Bottom line up front: I no longer endorse the Napa 6637 air filter anymore and advise against it!

This morning I am gearing up for a cross-country hauling trip and did the usual check and while doing the under-hood check I noticed that the hose clamp for the air filter was cracked. So I ran to the local hardware store to get another one, and got a pack of extra burly hoopdy-do hose clamps.

I've been running the DIY air filter from Napa for a few years and loved it. Great flow, great filtration, decent longevity, and good durability (I thought). Mileage and power were improved somewhat over the stock filter, overall a good value both upfront and running cost.

When I took the broken clamp off, and was about to tighten the new one when I figured I would check the inside of the filter for the heck of it, might as well admire it for a little bit, right? Well I think I crapped myself when I saw the inside. Not only was it dirty (I replaced it only 4,000 miles ago) but there was a handful of oats INSIDE the filter! It looked like someone grabbed a handful of oat hay from the bottom of a wheelbarrow and threw it in. That's what I would have believed too if I didn't see little oats stuck halfway through the filter media.

I hauled big bales of oat hay on my truck bed about a week ago. How the hay ended up in one of the most protected part of the truck is anyone's guess. Either way, the sharp little oats managed to get sucked through the paper filter and accumulate inside it. I checked the turbo from the intake hose/tube and it seemed fine minus the dirt on the inside of the hose, cleaned it out as best as I cold (now I see a benefit of having a coat of oil from the crank case vent...).

The jury is still out on if I have any actual damage to the engine, I hope not since I was apparently driving for a week with it. I think if someone never hauled hay or anything like that and just drove in town or hauled on the highway that this is a good filter. However I need it to always do any job, and hauling hay happens a lot with me.

I switched back to stock for this trip (thank the Ford gods that I didn't throw it out or sell it). Once I get the funds I think I will go with the Ford AIS gig. Not trying to dispute performance numbers, or start an argument on which is best, because I ran with it for a long time myself. I just figure if it can't keep hay or any other large particles out, then it gets tossed out.

Thought this was important to post in case anyone else didn't know about this weakness. Again, not trying to start a debate on anything, this is just an FYI based on my strange experience.

I'm now leaving on my trip hopefully so I may not answer for a few days. Good luck and good day to everyone.

·
Registered
192 Posts
:yikes:YIKES:shifan:

·
Registered
582 Posts
Keep an eye out for rodent intrusion...

·
Registered
825 Posts
My cold air kit was free, so I let 'em put it on... still been thinking of going with the AIS. Unfortunately I did get rid of my factory set up.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
So wait let me get this straight...you had a broken band clamp, you got oats in the filter, and somehow its the filters fault for letting oats get by???:dunno:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was a cracked host clamp, not all the way through. The filter and hose was still on tight and I had to use quite a bit of elbow grease to twist it free. The oats were going through the filter itself. Evidence: 1. There was no other opening (unless someone counts going up the tail pipe, through the engine against the air flow... didn't think so). 2. There were small holes about the diameter of oats. 3. Some of the oats were still half way through sticking on the INSIDE of the filter.

So technically, no, not the filter's fault, but it was the part that failed to do the job during the operation of my truck, a failure that could cost an engine. No, it wasn't the filter's fault the filter itself wasn't designed to be under the hood of my truck, I bought it from Napa and put it there. It worked fine for years, but after I discovered this weakness in the over design combination, I will never put that filter model in my truck again.

Also, there weren't any rodents under my hood, even if there were they would have a heck of a time chewing through the metal mesh and not leave a big hole.

This is what happened to me. I discovered one of the few flaws in the filter, and sad as I am to actually go back to stock I would hate to lose an engine.

·
Behavior Modificationist
1,524 Posts
I've never heard of anything like this. What kinda robust crop are yall growin there in New Mehigo :laugh:

Do you have a Zoodad? Wondering if that contributed.

Reactions: andyroof

·
Winning DUHHH
2,389 Posts
i have 70k worth of HARD miles towing with a 6637....Ive never had an issue like that....How wet did you get it..

·
Hate stupid people
8,681 Posts
Isolated incidence. Been running these filters over 100K miles on my truck without anything remotely close to this happening. I've hauled everything under the sun for the family farm without issue. A lot of oat seed as well in all kinds of winds, crazy sheet happens. He'll the cubs won the World Series before!

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
I bet that if we combined out mileages running the 6637 we would have covered several million trouble free miles.
This is a weird story for sure, thanks OP for sharing

·
Registered
100 Posts
I would venture to say that if the stars aligned for this happened to you on your 6637...it would have happened with any other filter that was open to the atmosphere during that given time. I don't think its the filter's fault as there are surely several other filters out there, including the stock filter, that uses the same or very similar media.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Although an isolated incident, I'd like to think my Riff Raff cover keeps it from being even a remote possibility for me.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
It was a cracked host clamp, not all the way through. The filter and hose was still on tight and I had to use quite a bit of elbow grease to twist it free. The oats were going through the filter itself. Evidence: 1. There was no other opening (unless someone counts going up the tail pipe, through the engine against the air flow... didn't think so). 2. There were small holes about the diameter of oats. 3. Some of the oats were still half way through sticking on the INSIDE of the filter.

So technically, no, not the filter's fault, but it was the part that failed to do the job during the operation of my truck, a failure that could cost an engine. No, it wasn't the filter's fault the filter itself wasn't designed to be under the hood of my truck, I bought it from Napa and put it there. It worked fine for years, but after I discovered this weakness in the over design combination, I will never put that filter model in my truck again.

Also, there weren't any rodents under my hood, even if there were they would have a heck of a time chewing through the metal mesh and not leave a big hole.

This is what happened to me. I discovered one of the few flaws in the filter, and sad as I am to actually go back to stock I would hate to lose an engine.
So your saying that because of a crappy hose clamp you put on you think that the filter is crap too? Thats like having a truck and the tires blow after 10k miles and saying "oh hell the 7.3 is a terrible truck the tires blew at 10k miles" Does this not make sense to anybody else or am i the only one??

I think a picture of the filter is in order so we can see just what kinda shape the filter is in and if theres water damage and what not because poor maintenance will let things through regardless of the filter

·
Registered
1 Posts
You don't have to chuck the 6637 idea all together should be the main point here. The filter sock Like the one sold at RiffRaff is the answer. It's made to keep big particles out like the oats. The one I have is water proof/Resistant from OuterWear. :icon_ford:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts