Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to upgrade the rear end on a 1996 F250 with a stock rear end to a one ton rear end out of an F350? Just curious if I need to upgrade just the driveline and rear end or if it's going to cause issues with my transmission/transfer case.

·
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!
6,024 Posts
Its the same rear... somewhere along the line there was a 10.5 pinion instead of a 10.25, but u will be fine with what ever u throw at it. Unless its like 600hp or something then u may have a few issues later on. But its a pretty decent rear and

·
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!
6,024 Posts
I dont belive so, not in 96... i hear that some of the limited slip diffs were dana 60s, but i have no proof

Google will be your friend, but i can tell that the rear in your truck will be fine unless its wore out at which you would have problems anyway

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
They are Sterling pieces... there is nothing wrong with them :thumb:

·
Registered
999 Posts
The rear axle in the pre-99 models is the Sterling 10.25. There was 2 versions used; 1 was a semi-floating and the other was a full float version.

Semi-float:

Full-float:

In '99 Ford put the Sterling 10.5 in the Super Duty. The only difference in the 10.25 and the 10.5 was the diameter of the ring gear and disc brakes. The housing measurements are the same on the 10.5 as the 10.25; that is why the '08 10.5 aluminum diff cover fits the 10.25.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What it comes down to is I want a heavier duty rear end. I'm having a load of problems with the oversize tires I have I think that it's causing the majority of my headaches. I don't know if this would actually solve the problem, which is why I'm asking around. Thanks for the support btw, it's pretty interesting to get in the loop of things.

·
Registered
319 Posts
What size tires are you running? What issues are you having? The 10.25 is a very stout rear end. I cant see you having a problem with anything 44" or less with the right gearing. Gears are your friend. If you upgraded to 40" tires with 3.55 gears you shot yourself in the foot. Every modification has supporting mods that should be done.

I rebuilt the track lok in my full float 10.25 in february. It was a pain in the *** in the cold but made a huge difference in performance.

If you are having vibration issues it could be tires, bearings, driveshaft, differential slop, carrier bearing, torque converter shudder, ujoints, etc. There are so many potential possibilities. Start with what the issue is and we will try and help.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
35" Open Country Toyo M/T's; stock rear end. I've had my driveline break the bolt in the yoke, break the flange yoke on the transfer case twice, got a brand new driveline built and balanced and u joints installed on the driveline at the factory and I installed the driveline in the truck myself. This last go around I lost the cap on the u joint and it vibrated so bad it's cracked my tranny case.

·
Registered
319 Posts
You are preaching to the choir hear man, I have over 1200 bucks in my rear shaft. I had mine balanced, new joints and installed. It wasnt right, through its balance, destroyed my rear yoke, the carrier bearing and all the joints. I never cracked a case but it sounds like more of a driveshaft issue still, not the rear end. Maybe your driveshaft was installed out of phase, causing the vibration which led to the destruction.

I bought a digital level, there is more to installing a driveshaft than bolting it up. I am not saying you dont know that, but I learnt the hard way on my f150 through a similar issue the angles at each yoke need to be set specifically. My truck has a 2 piece shaft so it is different, but your pinion angle still matters.

If a bad ujoint was installed, or you over/under torqued the bolts on the yoke it could have caused the catastrophic failure.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Holy crap, I didn't know! I had always assumed that the driveline once balanced was good to go! FML, Glad the repair shop's taking care of it this time around.

·
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!
6,024 Posts
Did find out thru researching that "sterling" is not the manufacture of the axle... it is just a nick name they got because that is the town the plant was based in. Sterling Michigan or something like that.

Just useless knowledge, now to re rail that train.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Did find out thru researching that "sterling" is not the manufacture of the axle... it is just a nick name they got because that is the town the plant was based in. Sterling Michigan or something like that.

Just useless knowledge, now to re rail that train.
Yes, that a thread I was involved with and another guy. They are sterling axles; Sterling Truck is owned by Ford, and also has a plant in Sterling MI. These axles were made by sterling truck when Ford owned Sterling.

Sterling Trucks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
999 Posts
Yes, that a thread I was involved with and another guy. They are sterling axles; Sterling Truck is owned by Ford, and also has a plant in Sterling MI. These axles were made by sterling truck when Ford owned Sterling.

Sterling Trucks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The name Sterling came from the plant name and the city they were built in. The axle itself has ALWAYS been built by Ford; even to this day they are still built in the same plant.

Sterling 10.5 axle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The most recent "Sterling" you are thinking of didn't even exist until '97 when Ford sold their heavy duty truck line to Daimler. That is when it was rebranded "Sterling". They were NEVER called "Sterling" when Ford owned them. They were always "Ford" trucks. Re-read the Wiki you posted and it tells you that in the first paragraph.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Your argument sounds convincing.

·
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!
6,024 Posts
:nana::icon_ford:...........

·
BANNED by Kris
6,317 Posts
WOW, just stepped in for a peruse and found a Wiki-war. Though the info is generally good on there, you both know that Wikipedia is not a quotable source. Just saying...

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
^No not always, but they've been cracking down on sources much more than in past years.

·
BANNED by Kris
6,317 Posts
Yes they have but they also refuse to allow the companies being talked about to contribute to the Wiki. The wiki's must be written by the masses and are fact checked by the few. Example. Wiki "Fo Mo Co". Here Ford is not allowed to write in the wiki or directly fact check the information. All they can do is make suggestions to the Editors. I tried to input information on my own company on there and was declined because I was he owner of the company and could write things that might not be true but who could contest it. Companies are not allowed to write on what they know. Thus, as our many many college students on here know, makes Wikipedia an non-trustworthy and non-quotable source of information.

Ok enough about this lets stay on the topic.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Yes they have but they also refuse to allow the companies being talked about to contribute to the Wiki. The wiki's must be written by the masses and are fact checked by the few. Example. Wiki "Fo Mo Co". Here Ford is not allowed to write in the wiki or directly fact check the information. All they can do is make suggestions to the Editors. I tried to input information on my own company on there and was declined because I was he owner of the company and could write things that might not be true but who could contest it. Companies are not allowed to write on what they know. Thus, as our many many college students on here know, makes Wikipedia an non-trustworthy and non-quotable source of information.

Ok enough about this lets stay on the topic.
I didn't know that, about the contributions.

But I agree that wiki is not an approved collegiate level of citing; although it's easy enough to cross reference material posted onto Wiki :D

Now... back to those rear-ends!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts