Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello guys first time here Im currently running 38x9x13.5’s on my lifted 2001 f350 with no problems and I just ordered a set of bora 2 inch spacer just to give it a better stance since there built to order takes about a month to receive them , but now all of a sudden I wanna upgrade my wheel and tire set up, now I want to run a 40x15.50 open country tire and a 22x14 inch wheel and the 2 inch spacer that is on the way, keep in mind that I tow a 34 foot travel trailer and a Yamaha rhino in the bed of the truck question is, is this a safe combo? Just looking for the safest combo possible please any advice be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just looking for the safest combo possible please any advice be greatly appreciated
What do YOU think regarding safety?

I almost NEVER see anyone mention BRAKES when discussing stupid-size tires. Braking effectiveness is affected by the distance of the caliper to the tire circumfrence. The further the circumference of the tire is from the brake caliper, the less effective the brake is. The large tire has more "leverage" on the rotor to twist the rotor between the pads with the same clamping force.

·
Registered
93 Posts
hello guys first time here Im currently running 38x9x13.5’s on my lifted 2001 f350 with no problems and I just ordered a set of bora 2 inch spacer just to give it a better stance since there built to order takes about a month to receive them , but now all of a sudden I wanna upgrade my wheel and tire set up, now I want to run a 40x15.50 open country tire and a 22x14 inch wheel and the 2 inch spacer that is on the way, keep in mind that I tow a 34 foot travel trailer and a Yamaha rhino in the bed of the truck question is, is this a safe combo? Just looking for the safest combo possible please any advice be greatly appreciated
Scratch the 14 inch wheel for a 12 inch wheel and scratch the 2 inch wheel spacers. It would look super stupid plus you will be wearing out your unit bearings the the extent of about every 10,000 miles..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
93 Posts
By the way, I run 40x15.50x22 and I have 4:88 gears and that is pretty much stock final ratio. Around 5 mPH off at 75

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Disregarding safety, what rear end ratio are you running? Your transmission isn’t very happy with that setup I’m sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hello thanks for the reply I’m running 456’s and I’m running a magtec deep oil pan with a John wood valve body and a 6.0 trans cooler

·
Administrator
21,600 Posts
OP, as you may be able to tell but now, this isnt the right thread for our forum.

We dont skate on thin tires with wide wheels.

Best of luck, post pics.

·
Registered
467 Posts
OP, as you may be able to tell but now, this isnt the right thread for our forum.

We dont skate on thin tires with wide wheels.

Best of luck, post pics.
I think I understand the jist of your point, but I'll make one myself. A 40" tire on a 22" wheel is not a thin tire. My stock 2020 F350 came with 275/65r20's on it. Basically a 34" tall, 10-3/4" wide tire on a 20" wheel. So it has about 7 inches of side wall. A 40 on a 22, will have 9 inches of side wall. Just sayin'.

For posterity's sake, I think the whole thing sounds like a bad idea, but it ain't my money, so......[shrugs]. I looked at this thread right after he posted it, and thought about what thumper's momma said and moved on. I only came back to see if things started getting funky yet lol.

Also this is coming from someone who is most likely ditching his 275/65r20's and moving to a 37/13.5r17.

·
Administrator
21,600 Posts
haha, yall are funny.

I get it, I see the instagram builds with these old trucks... 40's are the norm now, if you are on 37-35s you are almost stock or squatting.

You want to run a 20x15 on 40s you will have plenty of tire, 22's is skating and really you are wasting your money with 15 wides and not going 22.

Not to mention if you are on leafs in the front that means you need a stupid offset or spacers, then on top of all that you want to tow.

The safest combo is a full billet wheel, coils upfront and new leafs out back, goose or 5th, and all new brakes (lines, hubs, rotors, master)

·
Registered
460 Posts
tall wheels and lift kits are awful when towing heavy or long loads. raising your center of gravity destabilizes everything.

·
Administrator
21,600 Posts
That is a valid point, IMO the real cause of your point is that most of the components used are not rated for the work.

Most people buying these billet wheels are putting load rated tires on them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts