Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A long time ago in a thread someone found a power steering pump for the 7.3L that had higher flow rating to help with poor steering while stopped. I have been searching for it on the internet and have not found it.

Does anyone know where to find an upgraded powersteering pump for '01 7.3?

I have found the hydraulic assist systems but that's a little too much $.

Thanks

·
Registered
177 Posts
I posted a thread on the suspension/steering discussion on here. I installed the AGR Ford Super pump. It's for 99.5-2004 7.3L PSD. It costs $240 at autozone and you don't pay shipping. It is basically a OEM pump that has been rebuilt by AGR and has a new support bracket, mounting bracket and larger resivoir and puts out 1500psi at 4GPM which is substantially better than the OEM pump. Since the resevoir is larger you have to do a little shaving work to your altenator and P/S pump bracket to make it fit, but it's made of alluminum and is really is to work with. PM me if you have any questions.

·
Registered
177 Posts
This pump is expensive so you really only need it if you just have the money or plan to get some really big meats!!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can see my specs basically 35" tires, but If I am completely stopped I can not turn my steering wheel even with both hands. I am no giant by any means but that is a crappy deal. I have several friends with PSD's and it funny how some turn easy and others have varying degrees of difficulty. Mine is the worst, If I have my trailer on and am trying to back in I must keep moving, if I stop I cannot turn the wheels at all.

I talked to 2 different dealerships and they recommended overinflating the front tires which did help but then they wear badly. They also recommended replacing the pump but neither would guarantee better steering, so I didnt feel like paying $675.00 for a stock pump that may or may not help.

krupatex,
how much grinding doest it take to fit the new pump. The one I am thinking of was a drop in, no mods needed.

·
Registered
291 Posts
mine is the exact same way but what i dont understand is that my 1500 silverado with 37" boggers will turn lock to lock with 1 finger and a leaking p.s. pump wtf? and im with him on how much do you have to grind?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately its just poor engineering. I talked with several people that are into rock crawlers so hydraulic and steering are huge to these guys. They said its due to engineering the minimum needed for the resistance a stock tire will have against the pavement. Any increase in resistance due to larger tires or more weight = difficult steering.

Unfortunatelly they all went hydraulic assist and I dont have that kind of cash. I think this AGR pump will do the trick. If not they also have an upgraded gear box but by that time I may as well bite thet bullet and do with the hydraulic assist.

They all liked the AGR product but I am leary of cutting my mount to fit the larger pump. It looks like you have to cut a fairly good chunk out of the mount. I read the instructions online looks fairly easy but thats a big chunk of the mount to cut!

I thought I found a drop in last time, but it was about the same price so maybe I just never read close enough to see if there were mods needed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Anyone had any luck to report back to see if the AGR power steering super pump makes it easier to turn the 35" tires yet? Thats without having to upgrade all the other parts.

I just recently spoke to AGR this morning, they suggest that I go with the complete hydraulic assist system. Dang thats 1,130 dollars plus sending out the hydroboost to have it ported which is extra as well. :(

·
Registered
601 Posts
why do you guys have such trouble turning 35s? mine has 35's and my neighbors has 38's and as long as we arent aired down after offroading and our foot isnt on the brake it is fine to steer. i could probably turn the steering wheel with 2fingers while not moving. :dunno:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
99bigred,

Like I saidearlier its a little wierd. I have friends with PSD's that have varying degrees of difficulty with this problem. My bro-inlaw has exact same specs as me '01 with 315's and he can turn at an idle with no problems. With or without braking he has over 150k miles I have 90k miles. Exact same year & truck. I cannot turn the steering wheel with both arms, none, zippo, not at all! Its like a brick wall!

My co worker has a '00 with stock tires and has very difficult steering if stopped and braking, but a little difficulty without braking.

I think it may just be varying quality of individual pumps or gear boxes, I am not sure.:dunno:

I know it is definately common enough that Ford put out a service bulletin saying that s normal, so its not unheard of by any means. And several of the dealerships got a little snippy about it, if you want it fixed. So I'm pretty sure thay have been reamed out once or twice by some not so nice vehicle owners.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts