Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 141 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,534 Posts
What appears to be a Ford part number on an item such as the APIM is not the catalog part number that the parts dept uses to order one. It is an engineering part number. It identifies specifics about the part - drawings/revision/mods.

I do not have any electrical or electronic examples handy but here are a few examples from engine parts.

429 CJ/SCJ block - catalog order # D1OZ-6010-A - number cast into block D1VE-AA

Boss429 Block - catalog order # C9AZ-6010-B - number cast into block C9AE

429 CJ/SCJ cylinder head - catalog order # D0O3-6049-H - number cast on the head D0OE-6090-R

This is one area that gives people fits when trying to find the actual part so they can order it at a dealer.

·
Super Moderator
1,534 Posts
Here is a list of APIM's I was able to find on eBay and their associated numbers. Based on what the seller said as to NAV or non-NAV, I compiled this list.

You will also need to verify/update the APIM to your vehicle equipment that is controlled by the APIM. This can be accomplished with FORScan and a Windows computer/laptop along with an OBDII adapter (USB/bluetooth)

There are other parts needed to do this update such as the Sync Screen, screens to attach screen to APIM, GPS antenna and the blue cable to connect the APIM to the screen are some of known parts needed

USE IT AS YOU RISK!! I DO NOT ASSUME RESPONSIBILITY AS TO THE ACCURACY NOR TELLING YOU THE LIST IS 100% CORRECT.

I would suggest you try to obtain the VIN for the part and use the Ford AsBuilt date to determine if NAV or not.

Line 7D0-02-02 *2** > the 2 indicates NAV. View Attached video..

I would also suggest inquiring as to a 30 day return policy should the unit be deffective or non-NAV.

Here is the list I have compiled

Non-NAV

14G370-BL
14G370-JL
14G370-FBD >>>>>> back side 14G371-BF
14G370-FCB
14G370-GBD >>>>>> back side 14G371-BAG
14G370-KBA >>>>>> back side 14G371-BF

NAV

14G370-CM >>>>>> back side 14G371-CF
14G370-BM >>>>>>Ford AB > 7D0-02-02 0200 >>>>>> VIN 1FMCU9G92GUC83705
14G370-FCD >>>>>> back side 14G371-CF
14G370-KCA >>>>>> back side 14G371-CF
14G370-GCD
14G370-K >>>>>>>>***** unit located in Ukraine
14G370-FFD >>>>>>***** Unit located in UK/England

14G371-GCA
14G371-CFC
14G371-CFD
14G371-CA
14G371-DF
14G371-BF

Unknown - probably non-NAV

14G371-FC
14G370-KL

·
Registered
4 Posts
Has anyone used this to upgrade to the newer Sync 3 unit ?

Kind of pricey though.

Infotainment dot com

Those guys are super overpriced in my opinion. After seeing they were local to me, (they seem to work with other offices across the country) I called to inquired about stopping by to pick up a unit to install and if they could program it to have the darker Lincoln theme. I was told that a sync 3 unit would come from their shop in Texas and he would get back to me about the theme being programmed. After a week, I was contacted back and told they would only be able to do the theme if the splash screen also showed up as a Lincoln. Due to the research I was already doing, I knew that this seemed like they didn't really understand what they were doing.. Just my opinion again. Plus, I was already a little annoyed when they offered me only $100 for my 15,000 mile SYNC 2 screen and APIM.

While I was waiting for the response on programming, I was able to pick up a Sync 3 from a Ford Flex on ebay, have it shipped to my house, install, wait for a new GPS with the blue Fakra connector, install that, wait for an ELM327, install that, program everything, and wrap my wood panel around the radio.

All in all, I am so happy that I was so impatient because it saved me a boat load of cash. My Grand total for everything was about $600. As a bonus, I was able to sell my sync 2 to a friend with a dead Lincoln MKX APIM and screen for $250. Total cost $350!!! :woot This mod is by far the best thing I have done to my new to me F350!

I would be happy to give anyone any info I can if you want to do it yourself too. I'll grab some photos in the morning for anyone who is interested.

Thank you to the brave souls in this post and over in the f150 forums who did it themselves and gave me the courage to attempt this. I went from lurker to member so I could say thanks and help other people out with this worth while swap.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Has anyone used this to upgrade to the newer Sync 3 unit ?

Kind of pricey though.

Infotainment dot com

Those guys are super overpriced in my opinion. After seeing they were local to me, (they seem to work with other offices across the country) I called to inquired about stopping by to pick up a unit to install and if they could program it to have the darker Lincoln theme. I was told that a sync 3 unit would come from their shop in Texas and he would get back to me about the theme being programmed. After a week, I was contacted back and told they would only be able to do the theme if the splash screen also showed up as a Lincoln. Due to the research I was already doing, I knew that this seemed like they didn't really understand what they were doing.. Just my opinion again. Plus, I was already a little annoyed when they offered me only $100 for my 15,000 mile SYNC 2 screen and APIM.

While I was waiting for the response on programming, I was able to pick up a Sync 3 from a Ford Flex on ebay, have it shipped to my house, install, wait for a new GPS with the blue Fakra connector, install that, wait for an ELM327, install that, program everything, and wrap my wood panel around the radio.

All in all, I am so happy that I was so impatient because it saved me a boat load of cash. My Grand total for everything was about $600. As a bonus, I was able to sell my sync 2 to a friend with a dead Lincoln MKX APIM and screen for $250. Total cost $350!!! :woot This mod is by far the best thing I have done to my new to me F350!

I would be happy to give anyone any info I can if you want to do it yourself too. I'll grab some photos in the morning for anyone who is interested.

Thank you to the brave souls in this post and over in the f150 forums who did it themselves and gave me the courage to attempt this. I went from lurker to member so I could say thanks and help other people out with this worth while swap.
Any update with photos? I am interested in what you have done. I have been looking at upgrading to Sync 3.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Any chance you have the part number for the screen?

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Any update with photos? I am interested in what you have done. I have been looking at upgrading to Sync 3.
Your 17 KR doesn't have it already?

also is it possible to only purchase an APIM and add it to the sync 2 screen? Or are they not compatible. Never mind went back and read posts it's not

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Found another website selling parts for this upgrade appears to be a little cheaper. $1,085 for everything except for the usb hub he does not provide those.

fordpimods . com

I can't post the link because I'm too new

·
Super Moderator
1,534 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
I just got an APIM GB5T-14G371-BF I scored off of ebay from a Lincoln MKC. I don't have the other parts yet, but would like to connect it to forscan straight to my computer for testing and programming before I install it onto my truck.

What do I need to connect it to my computer so that it'll connect to forscan. I have a microusb cord, but it seems I need a power cord too?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,534 Posts
I know which APIM you bought. I looked at it but a local dealer told me there was no mention of NAV for that VIN 5LMCJ1C99HUL02202. It may have NAV as it does appear to have the 2 in the right position of the APIM line 7D0-02-02. What did you pay for it? I thought about offering them $100 for it.

And to answer your question, there is no way to program the APIM until you can power it up in the vehicle with screen installed. You will need FORScan and an OBDII adapter to make the changes. So, you basically have to install it totally before you can program it. You can not plug into the USB ports on the APIM to make changes.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
That sounds like the one. I paid the $128 asking price. I figured if I tried to hagle on it, someone would have snatched it at that price. I really want the nav, but mostly for resale. At this price if it turns out to not have nav, it's not a big deal as I use my phone anyways.

I was afraid that would be the case. I'll just have to expedite getting the screen and other parts. I do have the obdII adapter and forscan and some experience with it.

Do I need a plastic face plate for the new USB port in my truck? If so where do I get it?

·
Registered
426 Posts
My 2015 has NAV. For those that have upgraded with non-nav, have you found yourself happy with Android Auto/Apple CarPlay? I am tempted just to dump the NAV, as the maps are always out of date.

Thoughts?

Cale

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
My 2015 has NAV. For those that have upgraded with non-nav, have you found yourself happy with Android Auto/Apple CarPlay? I am tempted just to dump the NAV, as the maps are always out of date.

Thoughts?

Cale
I don't know about you but I have never used the factory nav. I guess its personal preference, If I need nav I use Waze regardless.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I don't know about you but I have never used the factory nav. I guess its personal preference, If I need nav I use Waze regardless.
I have used factory nav on occasion, but Waze is my go to when I have cell service. I just switched from Verizon to T-mobile, lots of areas without service, but I have found that if I at least start the route in an area with service, the route is downloaded and works just fine when I transit into a "No Service" area.

I am guessing that after the install, you remove the SD card from the dash? I would probably keep the old system in case I trade it/sell it and the buyer would like the factory equipment....along with the EGR and DPF. :grin:

Cale

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
I have used factory nav on occasion, but Waze is my go to when I have cell service. I just switched from Verizon to T-mobile, lots of areas without service, but I have found that if I at least start the route in an area with service, the route is downloaded and works just fine when I transit into a "No Service" area.

I am guessing that after the install, you remove the SD card from the dash? I would probably keep the old system in case I trade it/sell it and the buyer would like the factory equipment....along with the EGR and DPF. :grin:

Cale
Not sure about the SD card. I'm with you keep the old system as well the parts that make your truck heavier no one is going to pay for that stuff when you trade it in.

·
Registered
71 Posts
found this screen cheap. Only number they have listed does not appear to be right. GV1T-18B955-TB other number on label is GVTD022070 will that work??

·
Anti-Hashtag Member
2,150 Posts
Too high......look on ebay or around the web. With nav for about 1k,,,,,,,

It is plug and play. The nav is a SD chip and all our vehicles came with a SD reader. Usually two, one for nav and one for you. Just swap out the face plate is all.

41 - 60 of 141 Posts