Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
That makes sense about the options for the climate controls, etc.

Have you had the opportunity to check the maps as to how accurate they are? I was checking the website for updates for parents 2016 Escape. They still show it as having the latest version which I suspect now is out of date in some map areas.
The thing that makes Sync 3 most attractive to me is the use of Android Auto/Apple Carplay. With those features alone, you never have to worry about mapping issues being outdated because you can utilize your phone's access to Google maps/Apple Maps.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The thing that makes Sync 3 most attractive to me is the use of Android Auto/Apple Carplay. With those features alone, you never have to worry about mapping issues being outdated because you can utilize your phone's access to Google maps/Apple Maps.
Yes. This.

If I can get pricing (and list of all necessary parts) - I may try this.

I'm happy to order from one of the vendors who sell the "full kit", as long as they're not marked up too much...

·
Registered
419 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Yea. Found that too. > $2k (if you include built-in nav).

That's why I want to find out if the individual parts directly through Ford would be cheaper, since it's basically plug-n-play.
True if I could get exact part numbers I know someone that works in a parts dept at a dealer near me. Wonder how much cheaper the parts would be and I have used Forscan to enable some things, so wonder if I could fumble my way through the programming.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yea. Found that too. > $2k (if you include built-in nav).

That's why I want to find out if the individual parts directly through Ford would be cheaper, since it's basically plug-n-play.
True if I could get exact part numbers I know someone that works in a parts dept at a dealer near me. Wonder how much cheaper the parts would be and I have used Forscan to enable some things, so wonder if I could fumble my way through the programming.
lets get this figured out, I am ready also. I ordered a gps antenna already and you only need the new usb plug if you plan on using apple. The old one works with android.
Did y'all ever get this figured out? Part numbers and cost from dealership.

Does anyone know if this sync 3 is full wireless capable with iphone car play?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I recently did this to my truck. It is pricey, but worth it to me. I now have Apple car play back. I tried to see if I could live without it, but after one week I had to get it back.

The benefit with them is their customer service and setup. Depending on your trim level and options, they have to program the APIM accordingly. They use the VIN number. They even provided me with a copy of the original window sticker.

They use all Ford parts. If I had seen this post before hand, i would’ve provided the part numbers for everyone. My bad.

But again, the customer service is top notch. The original APIM had a climate screen for a different model year. They resolved it quick and painless for me.

One thing i will caution for the 2015-16 is the top of dash compartment where the usb plugs go. The compartment doesn’t hold a bigger phone very well, and it gets hot when the heat is on. I used my thermo gun and had a reading of 150+, which is horrible for a phone. I will be installing a usb extension dash mount to alleviate this issue. This also addresses the question in the previous post, it is not wireless CarPlay. You will still have to plug in.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had my first night time drive with the Sync 3 and Apple CarPlay. While in sync mode, the screen brightness adheres to the brightness setting from the dash switch. When in CarPlay mode, it ignores the switch and is full bright, with no way to dim it.

Even when connected and using CarPlay? You can set the screen to the Sync screen to avoid being blinded. You still get banner notifications and a temporary view of the CarPlay screen when something happens on the phone. While, i wish it would dim from the switch, this workaround makes it useable. Maybe a future Sync update will resolve this issue.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I did a little searching on the ford parts website trying to piece together a sync 3 conversion. I know I don't have everything and may have some stuff wrong. I'd appreciate some input. Especially with completing the part number.

$63.43 19A387 USB Interface module - interface https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/module-interface-6527943-1
$30.90 14D202 cable assy https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/cable-assy-6585873-1
$627.25 14G371 unit - central processing https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/unit-central-processing-7773793-1
$58.90 10E893 aerial assy - gps https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/aerial-assy-gps-6450583-1#sectionId:4145549

·
Registered
74 Posts
Is HC3Z-19A387-B the correct part number for the USB Interface Module for my truck in my signature?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yea, I couldn't find the part number. Do you have it?

·
Registered
19 Posts
When I have time, I’ll pull the center stack apart and see if I can get part numbers off of them.

You’ll still need to have it programmed to your specific vehicle. This is usually done by the tech using the VIN number for the truck. Before you buy parts, you might want to check with your local dealer to see if they will do the programming for you.

·
Super Moderator
1,534 Posts
When I have time, I’ll pull the center stack apart and see if I can get part numbers off of them.
The numbers on the parts will not reflect the actual part number needed to order the parts from Ford. You will basically need to know what vehicle the parts came from and then research the part number for that vehicle.

You’ll still need to have it programmed to your specific vehicle. This is usually done by the tech using the VIN number for the truck. Before you buy parts, you might want to check with your local dealer to see if they will do the programming for you.
You can program the APIM using FORScan. You will need to either save your APIM data or download the As-Built data from Ford. If you made any changes to the APIM data, the Ford AB will not reflect it.

You can get your truck AB data here

https://www.motorcraftservice.com/AsBuilt

·
Registered
19 Posts
Update: the dimming feature started working while in CarPlay mode.

Also, getting ready to do the same upgrade to my wife’s explorer. I’ll make note of part numbers when the stuff gets here.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Part numbers:

This order is for my wife’s 2016 Explorer. They are the same parts for my 2015 F-350, except the 2016 Explorer did not need the USB connector cable that my truck did.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,534 Posts
Part numbers:

This order is for my wife’s 2016 Explorer. They are the same parts for my 2015 F-350, except the 2016 Explorer did not need the USB connector cable that my truck did.
Is the APIM a used unit or did you buy a new one? The "part number" on the APIM is not a true Ford Catalog part number but more an engineering number. If you bought a new APIM, what part number did you use?

·
Registered
19 Posts
It appears to be a Ford part. It has FoMoCo etched in the casing. There are other numbers on it. Pics attached of the other numbers.

I use Infotainment.com. Can’t say enough good things about them. Well, for the ford division that is. Their GM division is not so great.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 139 Posts