Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,091 Posts
I had considered it myself, but after seeing the prices I'd jump to a 2018 first.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wonder if all the components in the package are actual Ford parts or custom made by them. If they are Ford I might and ask a friend if he can get it cheaper.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
I would think the major components are Ford. Might be some minor components as adapters, antennas or splitters that aren't

·
Registered
110 Posts
Also I think you would need more to complete this installation than what the kit comes with. Like a newer dash, and probably some newer wiring harnesses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just emailed them and they said it was 100% plug n play. You don't have to hack anything to make it fit and work.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would think with a 4.7/5 rating on the BBB site, 7,870 reviews all 3 stars and up, and their FB page being largely positive aside from pricing would be a good sign.

The website shows exactly what it comes with and how to do the the install on the video link on the site. Seems simple enough....I might have to do this in the near future. I wonder if they would be down for a group buy to knock off a few bucks

·
Registered
110 Posts
Are you wanting to swap from a 2011 to this style dash??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
The only thing I have found on the Sync 2 & 3 that to me is a step backward is the loss of the DVD player. the 2011-2012 "brick" radios came with DVD players. You could get a LockPick and over ride the lock out and others could watch a movie DVD. The "brick" radio also comes with a 30bg hard drive you can store tunes on it.

I am not aware of any nor have I looked lately, but have not found a DVD player to replace the CD player in the 2013 and newer trucks. I know my parents 2016 Escape with Sync3 does not have a DVD player.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/Catalog/owner_information/2016-Ford-Sync-3-Supplement-version-3_sycsy_EN-US_05_2016.pdf

Personally, I would rather have the old 2011-2012 "brick" radio over the Sync3 setup at this time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recently did the upgrade after coming across a take-off screen and apim module for $400. I got in on the upgrade relatively early before the prices on the sync 3 screens and modules skyrocketed. I did have to swap out the media connections in the dash for a new usb hub to make the apple car play function work (~$50). Overall, the newer screen is easier to use (scrolling and pinch-to-zoom) but I don’t know that I would’ve bothered if I had to spend much more than I did...

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
I recently did the upgrade after coming across a take-off screen and apim module for $400. I got in on the upgrade relatively early before the prices on the sync 3 screens and modules skyrocketed. I did have to swap out the media connections in the dash for a new usb hub to make the apple car play function work (~$50). Overall, the newer screen is easier to use (scrolling and pinch-to-zoom) but I don’t know that I would’ve bothered if I had to spend much more than I did...
Just in case some of the others want to go your route, what vehicle was your screen and APIM removed from? Do you happen to have the USB hub part number?

·
Registered
4 Posts
The sync 3 screen and apim I purchased came from a 2017 explorer.

The important things to look for are NAV or non-NAV and recessed mounting points. It’s no longer driven by a software difference as the non-NAV apims have significantly smaller storage.

There are also two mounting arrangements, flush and recessed. The 13-16 super duties have screens that are recessed on the side. If you want to reuse the existing brackets on the new unit you need a sync 3 screen with recessed sides. There are people that have successfully modified the brackets to install a flush mount screen but I wanted as much a plug and play install as possible. The recessed screens are used in the edge, explorer, F150, super duty, flex and Taurus vehicles. Here’s a link to a YouTube video from 4D Tech that goes through the differences, https://youtu.be/iitrjuVz_To.

You will also need a stand alone GPS antenna with a blue Fakra connector. Sync 3 does not use the GPS module that the 13-16 super duties have. There are several options for GPS antennas on amazon for less than $20. Just search for GPS antenna with Fakra connector. My GPS antenna is mounted to the existing GPS module under the dash and I no issues getting a signal.

You will finally need some familiarity using Forscan to program the new apim for your existing options. There was some trial and error here but there has been extensive work done in the past year that makes this slot easier. See the google doc, https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uDSQ1Z5a2Wt8-kjrSiVSlDFGFHnfeuhb3RTMVz95730/htmlview# For more info.

The USB hub part number is HC3Z-19A387-B. This is only needed for apple CarPlay. Android Auto works with the existing USB hub.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Some of the companies offering the Sync3 upgrade ask you to send in your VIN. Was the VIN input required when you use FORScan? Have you checked to see if the Sync3 System info shows your correct VIN?

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
That makes sense about the options for the climate controls, etc.

Have you had the opportunity to check the maps as to how accurate they are? I was checking the website for updates for parents 2016 Escape. They still show it as having the latest version which I suspect now is out of date in some map areas.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Coming from a 2016 sync 2 system, I haven’t noticed any difference in the nav maps preloaded on the 2017 sync 3 unit. Since there is no SD card for maps I also don’t know how you update...

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Coming from a 2016 sync 2 system, I haven’t noticed any difference in the nav maps preloaded on the 2017 sync 3 unit. Since there is no SD card for maps I also don’t know how you update...
I suspect if will be via a USB memory stick or maybe even WIFI.

I saw one user has a YouTube video on how to update Sync3 via the memory stick.

·
Premium Member
10,091 Posts
Considering the newest Sync 3 can now have Waze installed this might become more popular for some folks.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Its a lot of money but im considering it. Really cool to have the options of SYNC 3,Android Auto and plus if it does work with Waze thats a plus, I use it all the time on my Android phone. I asked them a few questions so waiting for a response.

1 - 20 of 143 Posts