Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I've already done a 4" SS exhaust, and a DIY intake to help my motor breathe. But, as my sig line states, I'm looking to do some more upgrades. I don't race, but I do a bit of towing, so a little extra grunt would be great.

Some of the mods I'm looking at, are a little easier to decide on, but there are a couple that've really got me wonderin which way to go.

The first is the turbo. I'm not looking to break the bank here, but I would like to put in a better turbo w/ intercooler. Which way does everybody think I should go? Should I just go with the upgraded 88mm Garrett turbo w/ '99-03 intercooler? (these can be tough to find sometimes). Or should I just get a turbo/ intercooler kit? (which brand). Some of them are quite spendy.

Also, with added power, I should look into the tranny. (because the side of the road is not the place you want to find out that your tranny can't handle the heat). Do the newer PSD (6.0L) tranny bolt up to an old 7.3L PSD? Should I just look into a Suncoast tranny? I read good things about a guy down south, who builds up the E4OD to handle upgrades, and stands behind his work 100%, but the trip down there could be tough to arrange. What are everybody's feelings on the tranny?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Also, if there are any upgrades that I should look at, that I haven't put in my sig line, that would be beneficial, I'd like to hear about them.

mike

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
I don't know much about the old body style turbo setup's, but I am happy with my Suncoast transmission. I got it about 2.5 years ago and no problems yet. U don't see where you are located, but BTS is another good option, I just decided to go Suncoast since they are right down the road from me. I'm thinking that unless you get some bigger injectors you probably don't need a bigger turbo, but an intrecooler would definitely help. Some one a bit more knowledgeable can chime in on that though.
-Aaron

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aaron, Thanks for the heads up, I just updated my location. (Alfred, Me)

I'm not looking at going big on the turbo, but I know that Garrett makes an updated turbo as a bolt in replacement/ upgrade to the one I've got. I'm sure the intercooler would help, though it looks to be a royal PITA to install. (it's also kinda nice not having a bunch of crap on top of my motor).

mike

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Alfred, Maine huh? I guess neither place is any closer really since BTS is in Arkansas. I might be wrong, but I thought that the only bolt in option for the OBS guys was the D66. What turbo that Garret makes are you referring to? I am pretty sure if you are talking about the GT38R that it requires a new pedistal, piping and the like for an OBS and after installing one on mine with stock injectors I am thinking that if I was staying with the stock injectors and were doing it over again I would just get a ported compressor housing and a 1.0 A/R Turbine housing, and a turbomaster wastegate actuator and called it a day. Even with the bigger injectors in the Super Duty and the tuner I was just borderline on the stock turbo, but since I am planning bigger injectors in the future I went ahead and went bigger. I'm not trying to talk you out of a turbo, but thinking that you might not have to spend a couple grand to get the desired results and I am all about saving some cash. Traffic seems a bit slow this morning, but I know there will be some other guys that know more about your specific situation than I do. Either way, good luck with the mods and give me a holler if you do end up down this way.
-Aaron

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Hey contact Jim at rosewood diesel and for around $500 you can get stage one injectors and then you might want a turbo and intercooler. My stage ones in my OBS really woke up the truck. :thumb:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts