Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys I'm still in the market for a clean 6.4L to my liking. I should be closing on my house finally this week or next so the search is getting hot. I think I found a truck I would be willing to buy and meets most of my requirements except for its missing the Integrated Trailer Brake Controller and the Upfitter switches. :dunno:

Is this a spendy thing to add after? I really want the stock ford trailer brake controller for the clean look and the upfitter switches for later lighting options.

Has anyone added these things after or can send me in the right direction?

BTW I did try the search and didnt find much for these questions.. sorry if I missed something obvious.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I saw a post a while back, not sure where, about a guy adding the upfitter switches. It looked pretty easy, and he said it was about $100 for the factory switches and relay. I'm sure it would be possible and relatively easy for you to do, sorry I don't have more specific information.

As for the brake controller, I'm not sure how difficult it would be to add. I can tell you that the built-in controller functions better than any add-on brake controller I've ever used, in addition to it looking nice in the truck. It works very well, and it would be a definite improvement to any truck. I assume it's possible to add it, but I'm not sure how tough it would be and what you'd have to do.

Sorry I couldn't help you out more, other than to say you're on the right track with wanting those things, especially the brake controller.

·
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel
4,156 Posts
I don't know about the brake controller but the upfitters is easy. Search upfitter in the 6.4 electronics section, I have a thread with pics and details in there

Sent from iPhone

·
Registered
206 Posts

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I would find a truck that has the trailer brake controler in it already. Upfitters are easy and pretty cheap to add, but the brake controler isnt as easy. I will agree with the above, the ford controler is the best brake controler I have had. I thought I loved my prodigy until I bought this truck.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help guys. I did end up buying the truck because its a super clean 2008 job 3 Harley edition with 20k miles for a decent price. I talked the dealer into having their local ford dealer install the TBC and the upfitter switches at their cost. From what they told me its about $1500 in work due to the TBC requiring a different Master Cylinder.

I'll be flying to Denver early November to pick up my dream truck and drive her home.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
213 Posts
that's correct. The brake controller does require a new master cylinder to get the "pressure reading" from, other than that its just the controller itself.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sorry to hijack your thread but , I have a similar question. I am also looking to add the factory break controller. If my truck already has the towing package, will it have the proper brake master cylinder? or will I still have to replace it?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Sorry to hijack your thread but , I have a similar question. I am also looking to add the factory break controller. If my truck already has the towing package, will it have the proper brake master cylinder? or will I still have to replace it?
I bet you will have to replace your master cylinder. I'm thinking the basic tow package was pretty much only the receiver hitch. I could be wrong though, look under the hood at the master cylinder and see if there are sensors there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts