Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the Internet for the location of the wires from the upfitter switches and got a lot of different answers, all for OLDER Super Dutys.

So I tried in here and there still doesn't seem to be any consistency in WHERE the wires are. I want to use upfitter switch 1 (30A I hope) to power the bar - not the relay - the bar. I've found they're supposed to be on the passenger side, the driver's side left of the column, above the gas pedal, and at least one other place...

Does anyone have a pointer to where these REALLY are for the 2016 Super Duty Lariat, and which one is for switch 1?

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Why Ford never corrected the owner's manual is a mystery. The wires for the upfitter switches are taped to the main wiring harness that goes through the first wall on the driver's side. There is no option to use just the switch without using the relays.

see photos in this Ford Bulletin...

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/Q-117R2.pdf

Attachments

Reactions: ZMANN

·
Registered
51 Posts
So if I am reading this correctly, you still have to run wires from in the cab to the exterior somehow? They are not on the engine compartment side of the firewall, they are just by the steering column inside?

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
you have 4 feed through wires for this purpose. They are blunt cut wires in the main harness that feeds through the firewall.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't mean to hijack this thread so I hope this question is somewhat relevant. I added airbags and compressor to my 2016 F350 crew cab. I know where the bundle of wires is by my left foot where they pass through the firewall. Can anyone tell me which of these wires can be used for a "switch on" hot wire? It will just be to send power to the air pressure gauge illumination light that I have installed in my console.

Thanks

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies... I think I'm having a slow afternoon, but Are the four wires in the interior of the truck or on the engine side of the firewall? From the two pictures in the pdf I looked at I can't tell WHERE these things are - did they pull the instrument cluster out or some trim somewhere to expose them?

My PLAN - depending on how difficult it ends up being to do this is to:

Use upfitter switch 1 to ENABLE the light bar.
Use the wire from the high beams to TRIGGER the lights...

So, my thinking is if I have switch 1 OFF, there's NO power to the relay on the light bar. If I turn on the brights, it'll energize the light bar relay but there's no actual POWER into the relay, so no light bar.
If I WANT the light bar, I turn on Switch 1, which sends power to the light bar relay. Then when I hit the brights, it'll also energize the light bar relay, and voila, light...

I definitely want the light bar to go OFF when the brights are off - automatically 'cause at least ONE of us will never remember to turn off a switch to shut 'em off. And I figure there may be times when I'll want the "regular" brights but not the added light bar so I'm blinding people a half mile away...

Sound like a reasonable idea?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
NEVER MIND... I just went out and FOUND the "yellow" wire that goes on and off with Switch 1. Easy peasy! Right up under the dash, just hanging there with a big tag on the wires that says "AUX1" through "AUX4". DON'T get confused... There's ANOTHER bunch of blunt cut wires right by the firewall with a yellow wire - BUT IT'S NOT A YELLOW, IT'S A YELLOW WITH A THIN GREEN STRIPE...

Does the rest of my plan make sense?

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
I don't mean to hijack this thread so I hope this question is somewhat relevant. I added airbags and compressor to my 2016 F350 crew cab. I know where the bundle of wires is by my left foot where they pass through the firewall. Can anyone tell me which of these wires can be used for a "switch on" hot wire? It will just be to send power to the air pressure gauge illumination light that I have installed in my console.

Thanks
If you check the photo I posted, it shows a "switched" hot wire on it.

·
Administrator
30,488 Posts
your plan will work using the relay like you described

but interfering with headlight circuits can have unexpected side effects so be prepared

also what amp draw is the light bar ? don't waste a 30 amp if it's not needed

·
Registered
33 Posts
NEVER MIND... I just went out and FOUND the "yellow" wire that goes on and off with Switch 1. Easy peasy! Right up under the dash, just hanging there with a big tag on the wires that says "AUX1" through "AUX4". DON'T get confused... There's ANOTHER bunch of blunt cut wires right by the firewall with a yellow wire - BUT IT'S NOT A YELLOW, IT'S A YELLOW WITH A THIN GREEN STRIPE...

Does the rest of my plan make sense?

Did you get your light bar working the way you wanted it to function? I would like to do the same thing with a couple of HID driving lights.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I haven't noticed any problems from the wiring... The only thing I'm doing from the high beam wire is powering the relay - not providing power to the light bar. I"m not sure how many amps it draws - it's a 126 watt bar and I'll be adding a pair of fog light pods that will run with the high beams AND power the factory fogs also. Everything will be wired through 10A diodes so I only get power going one direction...

As far as getting the lights working, take a look at topic
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/ge...673-adding-auxiliary-lights.html#post14084121

for the whole sequence. Ignore the one goofy picture of the bike frame - I didn't realize it was POINTING to images. But, you'll see the bracket, mounting, and the other stuff involved. It was surprisingly easy to put in the 25" bar. I don't know if a 28" bar would have been as easy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts