Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
FINALLY. I got around to it. At the moment I am removing the passenger up pipe. I am going to cut out the scoop that forces exhaust into the cooler.

I will not plug it because I have to smog the truck. But if things go well (codes) after I am done, I will eventually plug the pipe and hope I do not get any codes. Over all if there are no codes then I am a happy camper.

I unplug the EGR valve and that does a great job. I plug it back in for when I go smog.

So far I have the clamp to the cooler loose. The 2 bolts to the manifold are off and have turned the 2 top bolts but they are still tight.

Right now I am waiting on a 3rd hand for the 2 upper bolts that mount to the Y pipe.

I will post pictures and that will do a better job on how I did it.

(update) go to page 3 for pictures and wright up

·
Registered
105 Posts
subscribing :popcorn:

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Are you enjoying "Hugging your turbo"? I want a window sticker made that says. "have you hugged your turbo lately?"

I've been there. Coming off, not bad. Going back in? Well, the first time, took ten minutes to get the nuts back on the upper bolts. Oops, didn't get the up pipe sealed to the EGR cooler right. Start all over. Fixed seal to EGR cooler, Took over an hour the next go around. Dropped those dang nuts on top of the tranny and so it went.

Next time, I'll remove the turbo!

P.S. one of the upper nuts flipped out of my fingers and took forever to locate it. It "horse shoed ringer" the stupid bolt on the EGR cooler clamp.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do not want to take out the turbo. BUT normal wrenches and sockets will not do the job and Im only 18 so f my arms cant squeeze in there then yours will not either.... I am going to try the U shaped wrenches and see how that goes tomorrow. If it does not work out then I will just take the turbo out.

So far I have 3 out of the 4 bolts off and the egr cooler clamp off. The 4th bolt is at the top on the opposite side, facing the cab.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
taking out the turbo will save you alot of hassle in the long run. it's not that bad to take out, i suggest doing it. i just had mine off not too long ago and it was't bad

·
Slacker
19,118 Posts
A lot of GREAT information in this thread. I would agree that removing the turbo makes it much easier.

·
Super Moderator
9,273 Posts
I pulled out the down pipe and it is MUCH easier. Add to that pulling the passenger side wheel well liner increases the access as well.

You don't need to pull the turbo at all. A second set of hands helps more!

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I gave in and took the turbo out. I really did not want to but that was the only way I or anybody could get to that last bolt.

The turbo looks lighter than what it really is............ It was a hassle to take it out but it is out. The best way was to take 2 out of the 3 bolts of the alternator and twist the alt so that there is enough room for the turbo and so that the belt is still in place.

I just finished cutting the scoop out. I took pictures of the cutting tools I used and over all. I am in a mental argument on whether to plug it or just finish with cutting the scoop.

If I plug the up-pipe will I get a code for flow??? That is the dilemma I have right now.
I am also thinking of using a washer. It fits nice and snug in the up-pipe and has a 1/4" hole. I would rather completely close the hole.

I will post pictures when I have the truck back together. That will be Sunday.

Please let me know if I will get a code for completely sealing the cooler from the exhaust.

Thank you

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
From everything I have heard, you will get a code if you completely block it off.
I am going to do the same thing to mine and am going to leave a small hole so that a very small amount of exhaust can still go through.

I think just having the scoop gone will be the most important thing!

·
Slacker
19,118 Posts
You will likely get a soft code (no CEL) for insufficient EGR flow, but it really depends on the strategy. With custom tuning on the SCT, you can turn off the EGR functionality, including those readings.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Do you guys know where the "egr flow" sensor may be?
This is as close as I can get to finding the sensor. Not sure if the EGRVP is what does the work.

http://www.backglass.org/duncan/ps60_manual/ps60_049.jpg

TheDieselStop.Com - www.thedieselstop.com

http://dan.prxy.org/Truck/6L_bible_html/html/Page_032.html

http://dan.prxy.org/Truck/6L_bible_html/html/Page_055.html

It may end up being a group of readings. Not sure. Maybe a tech may come on and share the secret!

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
You will likely get a soft code (no CEL) for insufficient EGR flow, but it really depends on the strategy. With custom tuning on the SCT, you can turn off the EGR functionality, including those readings.
It's true that you can turn off the egr with custom tunes but it needs to back to stock tuning for a smog test and it will fail if the CEL is on.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's true that you can turn off the egr with custom tunes but it needs to back to stock tuning for a smog test and it will fail if the CEL is on.
Custom tunes have it like 95% off. I think the reason why is that if it is turned off a code will come up, not sure.

I have not seen any information or tests where you have to return our trucks to stock(depending on the tune) to smog them. If there are no codes, egr system is still along with the cat and minimal or no smoke, you most likely will pass.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I finished the truck around 3 today.

I cut the up-pipe scoop and welded a washer in the hole. I took the turbo off to get to that one bolt I could not get to.

I will post pics soon and wright allot more when I have the energy, long day.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I have driven the truck arround and no codes!!!! There is less smoke out the tail pipe so that is a plus! also it spools a little faster. All things are good.

I am posting pix right now

1 - 20 of 58 Posts