Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Truck broke down 4 times in six month period including two of them being stranded on side of road. The two major breakdowns were verified by both the dealer's service manager and the mechanic to be a known problem in these trucks. The first was a faulty exhaust temp sensor that needed to be replaced ($800). The other was the high pressure fuel pump "eating itself from the inside which causes a catastrophic failure of the engine". The mechanic said shrapnel from the fuel pump is shot through the entire fuel system because the fuel goes through this pump after it has gone through the filter. He even found metal shavings in my gas tank that traveled through the return line. This was a $6000 repair bill on a truck less than 1000 miles out of warranty. A phone call to Ford resulted in nothing as they denied any knowledge of the problem.
However, the mechanic told me there had been so many failures of this pump that Ford had created a special "kit" for the dealerships that includes all the necessary parts to replace when this happens.
I'm an engineer in the manufacturing industry, I understand problems with production level parts. But the complete dismissal and denial of a known issue indicates a much deeper problem within the Ford organization.
Although I understand a recall is expensive and possibly not necessary, it seems they can admit to the potential problem and offer an addendum to the warranty that extends it for a longer period of time to ensure the fuel pump is durable - Toyota did the same for my son's Scion TC just last month on a potential oil consumption problem.
I have been a Ford person for many years but as a result of this experience, I have lost faith in the integrity of this company. I may just become a Toyota supporter in my future purchases - I hear they have the same US made content in their trucks as the Ford.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
LOL, I was going to send him to FTE as well.... they will respond to you on that site.

Reactions: Heavy_GD and ZMANN

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Done with Ford

I appreciate your suggestion on the fuel filter. That was my first suggestion to the dealership that I paid to fix the truck (put a filter after the pump). He said the high pressure pump is mounted directly to the head and is the last thing the fuel goes through just before the injectors so no way to do it.

I have lost all respect for Ford based on their lack of integrity. The last person with whom I spoke literally said "I hate it for you, this stuff happens". She was partially right, these things do happen - I never doubted that. However, where she was dead wrong is this - The real problem is not when things happen, its the way we respond to them that cause the real problems.

Case in point -
The company that which I work happened to be buying a new fleet of trucks during this last round of issues I had. They were just about to cut a P.O. for 2015 F550's for the organization; but as Ford's luck would have it, my office is across the hall from the operations guy who authorizes the purchase. He made a point to follow Ford's response on my issue as it happened. As a result of Ford's response to me, he promptly cancelled the order at the last minute and went with another brand.

Now, would I have leveraged my $6000 repair bill against the promise of an order for new F550's, of course not. That would put my integrity level at the same "lowness" as Ford. This is why I did not mention it to the reps. Further, I would not subject the company that pays my salary (and stock options) to this issue for $6000 in my pocket today because history tells me it will come back to bite me tomorrow when/if the F550's have perpetual issues.

As for me, I have three Ford products in my driveway, two of which will be replaced in the next 12 months. At this point, I have made the decision I will never buy another Ford product again simply because of the lack of integrity (not the vehicle issues) at Ford.

Ford will have to contact me and initiate retribution on this one as I have given up and refuse to waste any more of my time trying to convince them of the damage they are doing/done their reputation and us consumers. Base on the comments I'm reading from other owners, I'm not the only one who feels this way.

It will be their efforts going forward to change the heart of this previously loyal customer.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
telling you if you post up in the superduty section of that forum. Ford will respond to you on there.

·
Administrator
22,480 Posts
Usually I come in here and find notes where OP is full of the brown runny or points where OP is just a cry baby.... but my friend I support your attitude here.

The real problem is not when things happen, its the way we respond to them that cause the real problems.

·
Super Moderator
2,709 Posts
A few points I wanted to make..

1) $800 for a faulty EGT sensor?? They can be had for $40 from Ford dealers and changed in a matter of 2 minutes. Ford also had a recall on these and you have till November to be reimbursed for them if the customer paid for them out of pocket. On top of that, there is a reflash so this does not happen again if a EGT sensor goes bad.

2) Ford created a repair kit not because these fuel pumps were blowing up left and right. They created it because IF it did happen, there are so many parts required to be replaced that Ford created ONE part # so everything would be ordered/shipped for SIMPLICITY. Fuel pump, fuel lines, 8 injectors and some other parts.. One part #, one kit.

3) Ford has done the SAME thing for the 2015s which are different parts then the 11-14s. Although Ford has not had any problems with the fuel pumps yet, it has already been established again, for SIMPLICITY.

3) MOST of the pumps that did grenade were due to contaminated fuel, not a pump just blowing up internally. Yes this did happen every once and a blue moon but this was not the norm.

4) I've had Ford CS from the online reps help me out and get repairs covered when I was outside of warranty. Sometimes they were paid 100% and sometimes they offered 50% of the bill. Either way, they have always been helpful to me.

5) Something smells very fishy here...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You have a very intimate and in depth knowledge of Ford’s Engineering Department’s design intent. You must have spent time with them (or be one of them) to get that level of knowledge. I myself had the opportunity a few years ago to design some components for the production line at the Dearborn plant (paint booth stuff). I remember sitting in the Engineering office in Dearborn on several occasions as we worked through the development process. As an R&D engineer myself with a Master's degree and multiple patents worldwide spanning 20+ years in the manufacturing industry, I have high respect for them and their capabilities.

It’s quite obvious you take sincere offense to my post. Unfortunately you completely missed the entire point of my frustration. The issues with the truck are not the problem – it’s the response I got from Ford CS on multiple occasions about the issues that are the problem.

Everyone on this thread has referred me to Ford’s CS. This caused me to realize I had not indicated the fact I have been dealing with them for the past six months on these issues – hence my frustration. Maybe the other guys have had good CS reps, maybe they have a better way to persuade their case than I, who knows…. in the end, Ford lost a loyal customer as a result of their CS actions (not the truck). With that, don’t carry the weight of this dude, it’s my burden and I’ve let go of it – it’s just money and a heap of inconvenience that is now in the past and further something I don’t expect to see again.

Oh, and by the way, all the repairs were made by Ford dealerships (two different locations in the Memphis area) both indicated all computer upgrades were completed prior to any of these problems. Also the fuel problem was the first thing the service department investigated, but was deemed not the culprit. As for the costs associated, I cannot argue beyond reading what is on the Ford Authorized Service Department printed receipts. Two of the breakdowns happened while pulling a trailer over 50 miles miles away from a repair shop so you can imagine the towing bills I had to pay beyond the cost of the repairs.

There were several other problems with the truck that had to be repaired (i.e. sunroof track, leaking fuel line, electrical issues, etc) but lets not get caught up in that. Funny, one of the service managers at the dealership felt so bad about the issues and the amount of money/time I spent there, he offered me a free rental car for use while my truck was in the shop.

As a side note - be careful not to indirectly call someone a liar when you respond as such (item 5). It completely dilutes the respect for your opinion in the technical world.

Take care.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Roger the people that respond to complaints are higher up the food chain at Ford than the person you call on the phone. I do understand your frustration because it happened to me. I contacted the person on the website and they gave me a discount. Now in my opinion Ford should have replaced my seat cover since I had complained about while still under 3/36 warranty and the dealer tried to fix it 3 times. Ford wouldnt just fix it right just tried to get away cheap by having some guy come by and hack it together. Ford is lacking in there CS for sure and it would be nice if they stood by their product better since they make so much money on trucks. I do feel your pain but give the web person a try.

·
Registered
115 Posts
As an R&D engineer myself with a Master's degree and multiple patents worldwide spanning 20+ years in the manufacturing industry...
then you must surely be familiar with the idea that things don't, and indeed aren't designed, to last forever. I'm not saying that Ford engages in planned obsolescence with their product - just that sometimes things break and a determination must be made as to what reasonable obligation the manufacturer has to repair or replace it.

Did you buy the truck new?

·
Registered
388 Posts
C'mone let's be honest here.
The factory protection for fuel contamination is awful.
The fact that many radiators have been leaking prematurely since 2008
is not defensible. Ford can do better. Ford SHOULD do better.

·
Super Moderator
2,709 Posts
You have a very intimate and in depth knowledge of Ford’s Engineering Department’s design intent. You must have spent time with them (or be one of them) to get that level of knowledge. I myself had the opportunity a few years ago to design some components for the production line at the Dearborn plant (paint booth stuff). I remember sitting in the Engineering office in Dearborn on several occasions as we worked through the development process. As an R&D engineer myself with a Master's degree and multiple patents worldwide spanning 20+ years in the manufacturing industry, I have high respect for them and their capabilities.

It’s quite obvious you take sincere offense to my post. Unfortunately you completely missed the entire point of my frustration. The issues with the truck are not the problem – it’s the response I got from Ford CS on multiple occasions about the issues that are the problem.

Everyone on this thread has referred me to Ford’s CS. This caused me to realize I had not indicated the fact I have been dealing with them for the past six months on these issues – hence my frustration. Maybe the other guys have had good CS reps, maybe they have a better way to persuade their case than I, who knows…. in the end, Ford lost a loyal customer as a result of their CS actions (not the truck). With that, don’t carry the weight of this dude, it’s my burden and I’ve let go of it – it’s just money and a heap of inconvenience that is now in the past and further something I don’t expect to see again.

Oh, and by the way, all the repairs were made by Ford dealerships (two different locations in the Memphis area) both indicated all computer upgrades were completed prior to any of these problems. Also the fuel problem was the first thing the service department investigated, but was deemed not the culprit. As for the costs associated, I cannot argue beyond reading what is on the Ford Authorized Service Department printed receipts. Two of the breakdowns happened while pulling a trailer over 50 miles miles away from a repair shop so you can imagine the towing bills I had to pay beyond the cost of the repairs.

There were several other problems with the truck that had to be repaired (i.e. sunroof track, leaking fuel line, electrical issues, etc) but lets not get caught up in that. Funny, one of the service managers at the dealership felt so bad about the issues and the amount of money/time I spent there, he offered me a free rental car for use while my truck was in the shop.

As a side note - be careful not to indirectly call someone a liar when you respond as such (item 5). It completely dilutes the respect for your opinion in the technical world.

Take care.
The offense as you put it or in my words, issue I take with your post are as follows. First time posters coming onto a forum to "vent" if you will their problems and with that, you didn't give us all the facts.

Your post is mainly a "I've had so many issues, Ford sucks...." type of post. Instead of someone who has joined a forum to learn about the vehicles and try to help others as much as others help them (I have learned A LOT on this forum from others and I try to give back just as much), you join and your first post is what you posted.

You talk about this $800 bill for an EGT sensor that not only A) costs under $200 at full retail price plus 1 hour labor - so I doubt that charge for that repair) and B) Ford had a recall issued for this exact issue that prevents a shutdown from happening and C) has offered to reimburse all customers up till I believe Nov 15th 2015 by submitting the bill to corporate OR returning back to the repair dealership for a refund. This takes care of this issue for you as well as prevents it from happening again.

Failures/Breakdowns do happen outside of warranty and the warranty is black and white. Ford owes a customer nothing out of warranty but that has not been MY experience and many others. Ford CS on the forums has been more helpful then not in regards to repairs and customer issues.

You come on here and post incorrect info regarding the fuel pump (it happens so much that Ford created the kit which is not why they created it. As I said, they created it for simplicity. Unfortunately when a fuel pump grenades the following needs to be replaced as their can be internal damage to these parts and if you don't replace them, you can grenade another pump as debris continue to circulate:

High pressure fuel injection pump
8 fuel injectors w/ IQA tags
Fuel injector lines and hold down bolts
Left and right side fuel rails
Fuel injector fuel return line assembly
Pump to fuel rail supply line assembly
HP pump supply and return line assembly

So instead of ordering 14 parts/numbers, 1 number orders it all. On top of that, the kit is far cheaper (don't understand why) then ordering all the parts separately by a few thousand dollars.

I don't see why Ford should admit to an issue that I feel they generally don't have. A sensitive system for water, absolutely and they could improve on the safeguards for that. But that is not what you said was the problem.. they said fuel wasn't an issue and therefore you say the pump just fell apart. This is not a common problem.. it is usually water induced which requires the dealer to inspect the fuel system for signs of rust and that is what more people have been having.

So do I take offense to your post, no I don't. I have complained about Ford in the past as well about things that I feel shouldn't be happening and they do. But one must look at the big picture and the reality is with over 1 million of these motors out there, the majority of them do not have major issues if issues at all. There are MANY satisfied customers out there. It is in which you came on here to just rant about your issue as your first post and post incorrect information (intentional or unintentional, we are still responsible for what each of us posts).

If purchased new, you also had the option to purchase an extended warranty on the truck. One can make the statement that 'you shouldn't have to buy an extended warranty" but as said in the past, things break and it's on the owner on whether they want to gamble it will happen to them or not. Unfortunately, you are one that lost in that decision.

YOMV

Reactions: sinner6.0L

·
Super Moderator
2,709 Posts
C'mone let's be honest here.
The factory protection for fuel contamination is awful.
The fact that many radiators have been leaking prematurely since 2008
is not defensible. Ford can do better. Ford SHOULD do better.
In regards to water protection, absolutely. And I completely agree with the radiators that it should not be happening. But the fact that it happens with the aftermarket ones also shows IMO that it isn't a Ford radiator issue but more of a frame or mounting issue.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts