• Keep plugged in

Votes: 10 50.0%

• Total voters
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear people say unplug your waste gate, then some say no, its better if you leave it plugged in. Which is true? Will it hurt anything? i just got a new turbo, and don't want to hurt it

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Stock turbo I would unplug it. Aftermarket turbo I would run it both ways. Which ever way it runs best is the way I would run it. If it is not going to hurt nothing on a stock turbo with it unplugged I don't see how it would hurt anything unplugged on the aftermarket turbo.

If your running the stock wastegate then with out a doubt unplug it. I would aslo get an aftermarket wastegate for it. The stock one is rated to open up around 22psi.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Leave it plugged in. Especially on a stock turbo. The stock turbo is out of it's map by the time you get to 30 psi and if you are making over that by unplugging it you are just heating the air and not getting any more mass into the engine. I've seen it actually gain power on the dyno by plugging it back in. There have also been several guys post on here that after plugging it back in they noticed more power and their fuel mileage went up.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
your stock injectors, I may be wrong here, will not create enough boost to put your TN out of its map, so do a few test runs on it and see which way you like it better

·
PMR = JUNK
11,244 Posts
dumb question probably, but what do you mean out of its map? Is that an acronym for something or am i just retarded tonight?

·
Registered
13 Posts
boost fooler

Leave it plugged in. Especially on a stock turbo. The stock turbo is out of it's map by the time you get to 30 psi and if you are making over that by unplugging it you are just heating the air and not getting any more mass into the engine. I've seen it actually gain power on the dyno by plugging it back in. There have also been several guys post on here that after plugging it back in they noticed more power and their fuel mileage went up.

unplug it but get a boost fooler

you just need to get a boost fooler and put inbetween the map sensor and the actuator it blows the valve at around 24 psi so that your truck does not go into de fueling mode and you loose power but with out one you not gonna be able to feel much of a difference because your truck is gonna underfuel it self trying to keep the boost down but that fools the map sensor so that your still getting all the fuel your truck needs and thats when you will see the difference

·
Registered
959 Posts
dumb question probably, but what do you mean out of its map? Is that an acronym for something or am i just retarded tonight?
A turbo map shows it's efficiency at a given pressure ratio (boost) at a given air volume or mass and what rpm the turbo is spinning in those circumsnaces. It also shows where the turbo would stall or surge in relation to pressure ratio and air flow.

Typically when someone is referring to a turbo being "off it's map" they are saying that it is at a point where it's efficiency is beyond diminishing returns.

unplug it but get a boost fooler

you just need to get a boost fooler and put inbetween the map sensor and the actuator it blows the valve at around 24 psi so that your truck does not go into de fueling mode and you loose power but with out one you not gonna be able to feel much of a difference because your truck is gonna underfuel it self trying to keep the boost down but that fools the map sensor so that your still getting all the fuel your truck needs and thats when you will see the difference
While this may be an issue in some cases for those who have solved that problem already it is just that the turbo is beyond it's useable range and that by keeping the waste gate closed you are creating a ton of drive pressure which further diminishes the increases you THINK you are getting by uplugging it. It's there for a reason. And more boost does NOT = more power. The only time more boost or denser air is going to make more power is if you have fuel that's not being burnt AND if you aren't superheating the air so that you are actually just getting the same amount of air mass in a larger volume making more pressure.

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Ok....Here we go. I don't know how many people on here have actually tried it and what they had for results. We all know that every truck is different, but here is my experience. Soory for the length.

I first heard about doing that on here and I was somewhat dissatisfied that when I had my Edge Evolution I was only making about 15 PSI. I disconnected my wastegate line and WOW...What a difference. Not only was it noticeably faster, I was also getting 20-25psi and a much faster climb on the boost gauge. Shortly thereafter I got my DP Tuner and decided to plug it back in....I still could barely get it to 20PSI with the wastegate hooked up. Not knowing for sure which way I wanted to go with it, I left it plugged in for awhile. To the tune of about 14-15mpg and quite a bit of smoke. Eventually I tried it again with the red line to the actuator disconnected. WOW again! What a difference. Depending on the tune I could routinely get 25PSI or more, especially in the higher gears/loads. I also average about 16.5-17mpg and MUCH less smoke now (even on the 140 smoke tune) and I have been running it disconnected for just under a year. I voted to disconnect it, but only if you have a gauge to keep an eye on it. I chose not to put on the boost fooler, just because it is just a shade of extra insurance that I won't get to heavy on my right foot while not paying attention to the gauge and get way more than 30psi.

It is somewhat dissapointing that I can't currently put the foot to the floor all the way up to highway speeds, but I don't know if an aftermarket (Banks/BD Diesel) wastegate actuator would make the difference I am looking for, and I can't afford a new turbo right now.. I could never go back to having it hooked up without some other changes along the way, the difference in my truck is astonishing.

I suggest if you have gauges to disconnect and plug the line and take it for a drive...See what you think. If you don't like it, it can be plugged right back in and it will be back to normal. If it is anything like my truck though....I doubt you would plug it back in. More power and better mpg, why would you? Good luck. This is just my experience with it.
-Aaron

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
i unplugged mine before i put my ts in and i didnt see any difference really?? like you said every truck is different but i will tell you this i dont have a guage so i plugged it back in. not only for that reason but on my 140 tune the turbo would surge really bad i plugged it back in and no more problem i dont know??

·
Registered
387 Posts
If you unplug and the boost dramatically increases then you have a faulty wastegate. As stated before the stock ones have very weak springs and open prematurely. I would change out the wastegate for a BBHA or a Turbomaster.

At one time on my 02 I ran a stock turbo with a 1.0 banks housing and a Banks Big head. Even with stock injectors I would hit 30+lbs. of boost. This is way too much for that setup so I just dialed back the big head to 27 lbs.

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Yeah, I have some turbo surge at high loads. Specifically in overdrive at 70+ if I hammer down. I followed a bunch of plugged or unplugged threads on here for awhile when I was trying to decide what to do with mine. Seemed like it didn't do anything for some and others it was night and day. In most cases it didn't look like there was any danger of damage as long as you took normal precautions so I left mine unhooked. In my case I couldn't be happier. I still say try it out and go from there. I think possibly that my actuator rod might be longer than some and have been planning on shortening it up a good bit and hooking it back up, but with the lift and all it's pretty hard to reach the turbo, let alone mess with that little clip. When I get around to doing it, I will certainly post up the results. I suspect the length of this rod may be what makes some trucks react differently. When I was hunting for more boost, I couldn't find a specification for the rod length ANYWHERE. I think this debate will go on forever....lol.
-Aaron

1 - 15 of 15 Posts