Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i figured out that when i unplug my egr valve my truck stops smoking white as much. i only had it unplugged for a minute though. is it bad to drive for extended periods of time with the valve unplugged?

·
Registered
559 Posts
I think it will throw a code if you leave in unplugged, not sure if it's bad for the truck though, if you ever get a SCT it will shut the EGR off for you

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Well, for starters I think you want the valve itself in the closed position when you unplug it. Some other EGR Gurus can help you figure that out. You DO NOT want to have it open say 50% all the time now that it's unplugged!!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
okay. i ask cause my truck has been having more issues since i got a new motor and when i tried unplugging the egr valve and driving it, there was no more white smoke and the lagging issue went away too

·
Rice Hunter
4,036 Posts
Some of us are welding the EGR Valve closed and plugging the up pipe closed with freeze plug. When you unplug EGR it is basically doing the same. Heat is trapped in the cooler and is deadheaded causing heat. There are a couple ways of deleting/ bypassing EGR found in Tech files

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
The 2007 10yr/100k powertrain warranty on my truck is the only reason' I'm not doing a full EGR system Delete and a SCT. I don't feel like paying for a set of head studs or any other items that might go.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Here's my input based on ONLY my truck.
I unplugged my EGR and things worked great for a while (at some point the darn thing will be forced open due to exhaust pressure) but eventually had to clean it due to running issues. I buggered an O ring on reinstallation (not knowing) and truck would run like $hit towing/hauling heavy producing turbo farts etc.. I took out EGR to clean again and it was very sooty, this is when I noticed the Oring. Went to NAPA and got new Orings, cleaned EGR, reinstalled and using EGR shutoff in my SCT file it's been great eversince.
That paragraph of issues is over the course of 3 years time. I now know beyond any shadow of doubt that improper EGR function is the cause of many performance related issues. The best/simple fix for you is to get a couple $6.00 EGR Oring gasket sets and keep them on hand for cleanings. Unplugging it wont hurt a thing BUT if it aint 100% sealed (which I don't believe it can do) truck wont run 100%.
EGR flat sucks, no way around it. I plan on doing the whole removal in the near future.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Something else I wanted to add. I was made aware of my leaking EGR by Terry Dyson reading my oil analysis. I been using him for 5 years. At the time my truck seemed like it was running fine but my UOAs weren't perfect. After he had me check it I did the O ring fix and my next sample was awesome. An EGR leak WILL add to oil contamination.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how will i know when my egr valve is in the closed position? and i want to do the full delete cause my sct doesn't like that mod, but i still have the warranty thing.

·
Registered
180 Posts
according to other forums i read the default position for the egr valve is closed, so with the truck off, unplug it and it will stay closed til it is plugged back in, im going to try it when my dad get back with MY truck, he loves driving my rig

·
Registered
180 Posts
i just went for a drive with the egr valv unplugged for a 30 min drive, i know it not long but i know my truck pretty good and from what i can feel is that the turbo spolled up faster and seemed to have better throttle response and accelerated a bit faster

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
i just went for a drive with the egr valv unplugged for a 30 min drive, i know it not long but i know my truck pretty good and from what i can feel is that the turbo spolled up faster and seemed to have better throttle response and accelerated a bit faster
nice :thumb:

·
Registered
180 Posts
update... i went to to start my truck to play with the odometer trick and the check engine light went on, went to my local advanced auto and borrowed there code reader. it threw 3 codes all related to the egr, so unless you dont mind a cel thats all that happened. i plugged it back in because im goign to be driving 7 hours down to pittsburg and back and i would like to know when the cel comes on for a real importain code

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
My truck has had the egr valve unplugged for a couple years now with no problems!

Mine's a CA truck so it does throw a code, but the truck has better throttle response with it unplugged and has never had any surging or running issues.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Most people do not have problems when they unplug their egr :) But seeing the CEL for the people who do not have a reader is unseteling...

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have owned two 6.0's and always left the EGR valve unplugged on both . Never a single issue except better performance.

·
Premium Member
9,156 Posts
how sbout plugging up a 2nd egr valve hanging in the valley to trick the cpu?
You still might get a P0401- insuficient exhaust flow. Other words, the egr valve is not getting enough exhaust flow and with the dummy egr valve plugged in and tied to the side, it's not seeing exhaust flow.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
You still might get a P0401- insuficient exhaust flow. Other words, the egr valve is not getting enough exhaust flow and with the dummy egr valve plugged in and tied to the side, it's not seeing exhaust flow.
Yup! I did the cooler delete on my 06 and it was 401 all day long without the code removed via my tune.

My friends 07 never had a code.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts