Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard mention that certain tunes (Tony Wildman specific) are unnecessary for a truck with a manual transmission because they are very similar to other tuning profiles with only shift points changed or similar unnecessary changes. Would anyone provide mention on which Tony Wildman tunes would be identical to others or otherwise unnecessary for the below mentioned truck?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
I wouldnt think so. Tony has tuned my truck (6 speed) and I'm very happy with the programming!

I could be wrong but I don't think the pcm for an auto tranny and a manual tranny are the same. :dunno:

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Yea I have a 6 spd. and I love his tunes....but im sure someone from the dp tuner camp will sign on and let you know how they think tony sucks:dunno:....so i speak from experience that my TW chip is awesome.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Yea I have a 6 spd. and I love his tunes....but im sure someone from the dp tuner camp will sign on and let you know how they think tony sucks:dunno:....so i speak from experience that my TW chip is awesome.

WOOOOOOHHHH there buddy... Find me one post on any forum anywhere where someone said Tony sucks???

To the OP, What are you asking exactly? If you went with a TS chip, be it a auto or manual, you will feel a differance with custom tuning from any of the big guys, be it Tony, Jody, Tadd, David... any of them.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
It was that one guy that talks about how bad his tunes were and how it blew his motor, and how he would'nt buy from him again. Even though he has never had one of his chips from tony. I wanst saying every one of those guys would...Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I think he's wantin to know wich TW tunes to get. :dunno:

They'll all work awesome on your rig:thumb:

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I think he's wantin to know wich TW tunes to get. :dunno:

They'll all work awesome on your rig:thumb:
I agree...and I know from filling my tank up yesterday his economy tune got me 18.5mpg, around town.

·
Registered
125 Posts
his economy tune got me 18.5mpg,

SWEEEEEEEETTTTT :thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
125 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought I recalled reading somewhere in the past that the Daily and Econo tunes are too similar to justify putting them both on a chip when a manual transmission is involved because the fuel curves have negligible difference and the main difference is transmission shift points (obviously applicable to auto only).

I don't know how this turned into a TW doesn't suck type of argument... I simply want to know ... with a manual transmission, 4 tunes, and weekend towing of a 5000lb boat ... what tunes should I get ... and would any be essentially duplicates for the above mentioned reasons? ... Also, do any of his tunes specifically tune towing for a manual transmission ... I've heard of weakening the power near idle to be easier on the clutch, etc.

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
I thought I recalled reading somewhere in the past that the Daily and Econo tunes are too similar to justify putting them both on a chip when a manual transmission is involved because the fuel curves have negligible difference and the main difference is transmission shift points (obviously applicable to auto only).

I don't know how this turned into a TW doesn't suck type of argument... I simply want to know ... with a manual transmission, 4 tunes, and weekend towing of a 5000lb boat ... what tunes should I get ... and would any be essentially duplicates for the above mentioned reasons? ... Also, do any of his tunes specifically tune towing for a manual transmission ... I've heard of weakening the power near idle to be easier on the clutch, etc.
Oh no no no. The Econo and daily are nothing alike... The econo is just a bump over stock. the daily is actually a failry aggressive tune.

If it were me with 4 choices I would get

1. econo
2. daily
3. tow
4. high idle

:thumb:

·
Registered
125 Posts
you have a 4x4? I thought 4x4 made you lose 1-2 mpg?
Sorry Bud I had a customer at the door and had to hurry up and send my repley. In the process I messed up the quote. I meant thats good for you that you get 18.5:thumb:, but for myself I don't run TW and yes I do have 4x4 but I get 21mpg on DP's econ setting if I'm real easy.

·
Registered
578 Posts
i know what you mean. tony found out I had a 6 spd. he told me I would only need 4 tunes because of that. I understand what you mean but maybe he will chime in.

And about the mpg issue I already get 19 stock :)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Man, you guys are all lucky...

I have to TRY REAL hard to get 15!!!! TRYING to keep temps below 600*, and gentle accel, etc...

Apparently the 35s, 4x4, and auto area REALLY killing me...

Chase

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Sorry Bud I had a customer at the door and had to hurry up and send my repley. In the process I messed up the quote. I meant thats good for you that you get 18.5:thumb:, but for myself I don't run TW and yes I do have 4x4 but I get 21mpg on DP's econ setting if I'm real easy.

got ya, yea mine was turning it up a couple of times to smoke ppl and stuff...so its not all econ. and it was all around town stop and go.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
I have experience with superchips and Tony's tunes on my 99 6 speed.. it is a world of difference between the 2.. superchips was ok but Tonys tunes pull much harder through the 6 gears :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts