Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
About all you can do is drain the tank. Then drain the filter housing, then refill the tank with diesel and manually refill the filter housing. Start it up and let it run a couple of minutes, then repeat the drain and filling of the filter housing until all the no lead is out of the tank line( will take two or three times). Whatever ends up in the tank from the return line won't hurt much.

The 20 gal of unleaded is pretty much a loss if there's over two or three gal of diesel in it, it'll make whatever you dump it in smoke pretty good and run rough

G

·
Well

Heres what I do. Drain the tank, fill it up with good diesel and start it up. Let it run for a few mins then go drive it.

·
Registered
492 Posts
if there was fuel in your tank you should be okay. the two will seperate and the diesel will settle to the bottom. you probably never sucked any through if you cought it quickly. i would still change all your filters like maryland suggested but it already did what damage it was going to do. dump a quart of oil in there with the new fuel to make sure she gets lubed up good and let er rip.

G

·
Gas

if there was fuel in your tank you should be okay. the two will seperate and the diesel will settle to the bottom. you probably never sucked any through if you cought it quickly. i would still change all your filters like maryland suggested but it already did what damage it was going to do. dump a quart of oil in there with the new fuel to make sure she gets lubed up good and let er rip.
Trust me, 20 gallons in the tank and your gonna be running like ****. I pulled 30 gallons out of a 6.0 a couple weeks back and filled up my jeep and my buddys Mitz. :hehe:

·
Rebel
657 Posts
Done it a few times myself :doh: Just drain it and fill with diesel and run it. It will be fine. :thumb:

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,759 Posts
Drain it keep it for the mowers, weed eaters, wife's car, what ever you have that runs on gasoline.

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
:hehe::hehe::rofl: i find that funny
She wont know the difference, let alone if she didnt pay for the gas nor would she care if it was free.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,759 Posts
Serisouly drain the tank, refill with fresh diesel, then run it a while, then change fuel filters.

I will admit I have done this once. 5am on my way to the hunting stand. Stopped jumped out of the truck. Paid at the pump. Next thing I know I was smelling gasoline very strong. I stopped looked and notice I put about 4 gallons in my tank. I just put the nozzle back, repay then fill the tank with 26 gallons of diesel. I have 167,772 miles on my truck with no problems.

Some people will even claim that you should run 1-2 gallons of gasoline through your engine to clean the injectors. I won't do it on a regular basis. They have companies that make injector cleaning additives for fuel for a reason.

·
Registered
26 Posts
When did diesel and gasoline stop mixing? Never heard of them separating, that's why the old timers used to put a couple of gallons of gasoline in the tank in the winter time to make a winter blend.

If gas and diesel separate then adding oil to the tank as you suggested wouldn't work either. :wink[3]:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.