Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! new to the website so here's a bit of background. My name is Jake im 20 years old graduating the diesel tech program with an associates of science degree at Kirkwood. Future hopes are to open my own shop moving more into the performance side of things.

So here's my problem. I am currently looking into purchasing two project trucks. one is a rollover replace cab front end ect, no problem done it before.

The second is a 1999 f350 ex cab dually with 180k. the motor has a unique problem that I nor anybody I have talked to is familiar with. According to the tech that ran the diagnostics for current owner, the motor is sucking air in through the exhaust and pushing it out the intake. It will not start

My first guess (best case scenario) was it is a timing issue. I was thinking it may need a new cam or new valves or both. Again that was the best case scenario first thought running through my head type of thing. If anybody here has seen this problem before or has an idea of what needs to be done any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!

·
Registered
168 Posts
That is an interesting one fore sure. Never seen anything like it. Hopefully someone can chime in on it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Is it more like a backfire through the intake side? Sounds like maybe a closed exhaust valve due to a stuck valve or a broken rocker arm. Never seen it on a 7.3 but I have on gas turbo engines.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts