Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
im fat and ugly
15,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this may stir up something but shoot its just my opinion. I work at an automotive plant that is UAW, they disgust me. I can not speak for all unions since I only have experience with a few, but this is the biggest group of crybabies. They whine about everything and try to run and hide behind the union. My dad just retired from GM and had 35 years in the UAW and is a hardcore supporter of it, when my plant went union I told him I didn’t like the idea of unions, oh boy did I get an ear full. And yes I know back in the day unions did GREAT things for labor laws and child labor, safety and tons of other productive things. What I see now is junk, people are given positions they don’t deserve based solely on seniority. People that blatantly screw up multiple times are fired and they cry to their little union and they get there job back. I worked for my plant for 2.5 years then I was offered a management job, before that I wouldn’t even listen to what they had to say. Ill admit still to this day there are rare instances that the union steps in and their cause is just but that is VERY rare. Most of what I see is petty crap that wastes everybody’s time and accomplishes nothing. When the plant was initially deciding to go union they talked about striking, well I don’t know about you but striking doesn’t feed my kid, pay my bills, or put fuel in my psd, I told them I would go to work no matter how many picket signs I had to go through

just my :twocents:

·
7.3 tech, supporter
1,224 Posts
I hear ya man, there are pros and con's to the whole thing. Here is wichita (the air capitol of the world) we have like 10 aircraft manufacturing facilities the largest is what used to be Boeing (before Spirit bought them) and they employ 33% of the population alone and they are all pro union. So there are guys out there that use the ol "my union conract says i don't have to do that" bs and they get paid $20-$30 and HOUR for it. WTF??? I bust my arse day in and day out to make 1/2 that??

J

·
0 Posts
Brings up a good point.

I have "Spernce" with the unions and it's like the Chicken in a Chinese buffet. Some times it's hot most of the time its not. I had good luck with a coulple of unions I worked in but I'm sure there are a few bad ones.

·
im fat and ugly
15,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hear ya man, there are pros and con's to the whole thing. Here is wichita (the air capitol of the world) we have like 10 aircraft manufacturing facilities the largest is what used to be Boeing (before Spirit bought them) and they employ 33% of the population alone and they are all pro union. So there are guys out there that use the ol "my union conract says i don't have to do that" bs and they get paid $20-$30 and HOUR for it. WTF??? I bust my arse day in and day out to make 1/2 that??
yeah thats somethin esle one of the reasons we pay 50k for our rigs is beacuse some one is makin 80k a year to put in 2 bolts every few mins, trust me i know there are thousands and thousands of em

J

·
0 Posts
Thats the problem

Unions started out a great thing and now I think they are more corrupt the the Venezualen government! And on the price of our trucks. Let me tell you. At the money most of those people are making I think they can pick up there own healt ins.

·
7.3 tech, supporter
1,224 Posts
I had a good friend that worked for Boieng when they sold to Spirit and he came over to the house one night gripin cause he was gonna take a pay cut from $28.50/hr to $26, I about knocked his teeth down his throat, all he does is sit at an injection molding machine and open and close the door every 4 min, checks the 4 parts for flash, throw them in a box and wait for the next cycle. Don't get me wrong, if I could get a job like that I would jump on it in a heatbeat, but if your gonna moan about 2 1/2 dollars when your makin dam near $30/hr you don't need that job, you need to be out here with the rest of us workin folk.

Just my :twocents: on unions

·
im fat and ugly
15,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a good friend that worked for Boieng when they sold to Spirit and he came over to the house one night gripin cause he was gonna take a pay cut from $28.50/hr to $26, I about knocked his teeth down his throat, all he does is sit at an injection molding machine and open and close the door every 4 min, checks the 4 parts for flash, throw them in a box and wait for the next cycle. Don't get me wrong, if I could get a job like that I would jump on it in a heatbeat, but if your gonna moan about 2 1/2 dollars when your makin dam near $30/hr you don't need that job, you need to be out here with the rest of us workin folk.

Just my :twocents: on unions

yep my point exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
543 Posts
I only have one question. How much money would you think you guys would be making, if the uions weren't pushing to get a fare wage for the working man?

·
Banned
0 Posts
I only have one question. How much money would you think you guys would be making, if the uions weren't pushing to get a fare wage for the working man?
the unions have no controll over CURRENT wages for most industries.

My take on it is this. I will NEVER work for a union shop. I have no need for a union. If i want to negotiate my wage i will. If they dont want to pay me, i wont work there. If they screw me over, i will take them to court.

Unions were one of the best things america ever had untill recent times. A person was powerless over large business as an employee without them. If something happened in a non union trade, the employer never had to answer to anyone without the unions to back the employee. Raises would have never happened either.....BUT

In our day and age, Litigation and competition has replaced what the unions were constructed to do. I can fight big busness myself and actually employment practices are one of the few things in the nation anymore that big business is hard pressed to win cases against them unless its just totally absurd. While unions in thier hayday were a nessecity, for 95% of trades now they are just a way for a group to take your money and most have gotten lazy anymore and dont fight for the people like they used to. thats my two cents...

·
Registered
54 Posts
A union employees wage doesnt have much to do with high vehicles. There is about a thirty five percent mark up "give or take" on these trucks we drive and also the suvs

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
For years the teamsters have been trying to unionize RPS (now FedEx), and they never have been successful. I am among the majority there when I say that they can stay out. I've never had anything but trouble with unions, especially when I worked as a rigger. Working in some plants was flat out dangerous when other crews were there that were part of the steelworkers. You always had to be on the lookout for anything, crib piles comprimised, equipment tampered with, flying wrenches, even the occasional flying fist. All because we did better work than them faster and for less money.

·
Registered
543 Posts
the unions have no controll over CURRENT wages for most industries.

My take on it is this. I will NEVER work for a union shop. I have no need for a union. If i want to negotiate my wage i will. If they dont want to pay me, i wont work there. If they screw me over, i will take them to court.

Unions were one of the best things america ever had untill recent times. A person was powerless over large business as an employee without them. If something happened in a non union trade, the employer never had to answer to anyone without the unions to back the employee. Raises would have never happened either.....BUT

In our day and age, Litigation and competition has replaced what the unions were constructed to do. I can fight big busness myself and actually employment practices are one of the few things in the nation anymore that big business is hard pressed to win cases against them unless its just totally absurd. While unions in thier hayday were a nessecity, for 95% of trades now they are just a way for a group to take your money and most have gotten lazy anymore and dont fight for the people like they used to. thats my two cents...
Ah Nonuion dues for a court case.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Ah Nonuion dues for a court case.
so im supposed to pay thousands of dollars a year for the 5%(number off the top of my head, dont go searching to crucify it) chance ill need to retain a lawyer??

Thats silly, why would i want to pay when lawyers are looking for every oppertunity to sue big business and most run with a "win or dont pay" to get people in the door. With the state labor boards involved as well, i think its reduculous. It would be like packing "supplimental" insurance on your car.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Re: I've need to put in my 2 cents

I've have been a member of the International Brotherhood of Electricial Workers for over 35 years. From that you could guess where I stand on this topic. I think unions or any other organization are what the members make of it. If you let a few do all the work, then you will not be properly represented. The membership neededs to be involved and informed to make good policies. In the union I'm in you vote on issues. Many time there will be a small percentage show up for meetings and do the voting for the rest of the membership. If I don't show up and vote then I don't have the right to complain, it's my own fault for not taking care of business. Also something my union does is training. We have a five year apprenticeship program, with classroom and on the job training. I was an instructor for eight years in this program. I feel that it is the best program for electricains available. I bring this up to show there is more to unions than paying dues and strikes. We also have a no strike clause in our contract, we have not been on strke during the 35 years I have been a memeber of my local.

Granted there are problems in organized labor, but the answer is to work them out. I respect everyone's opinion and hope you also respect mine.

Jim

·
im fat and ugly
15,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've have been a member of the International Brotherhood of Electricial Workers for over 35 years. From that you could guess where I stand on this topic. I think unions or any other organization are what the members make of it. If you let a few do all the work, then you will not be properly represented. The membership neededs to be involved and informed to make good policies. In the union I'm in you vote on issues. Many time there will be a small percentage show up for meetings and do the voting for the rest of the membership. If I don't show up and vote then I don't have the right to complain, it's my own fault for not taking care of business. Also something my union does is training. We have a five year apprenticeship program, with classroom and on the job training. I was an instructor for eight years in this program. I feel that it is the best program for electricains available. I bring this up to show there is more to unions than paying dues and strikes. We also have a no strike clause in our contract, we have not been on strke during the 35 years I have been a memeber of my local.

Granted there are problems in organized labor, but the answer is to work them out. I respect everyone's opinion and hope you also respect mine.

Jim

this is why i didnt include all unions. what what you explained your type of union is completely different than what i have experienced.

·
Banned
0 Posts

Jim
as always, very well spoken jim and your above statement is the key. This thread could easily become very volotile. If it even starts to go that way it will immediately be locked. Agree or disagree with each other, there will be NO personal attacks and everything must be kept to discussing with point, not blindly arguing. Thank you and you may return to your regularly scheduled programming :lol:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts