Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a New Sinister Coolant Filter system on my 03' SD. Now its blowing out the degass bottle. Anyone had this problem? Few notes: DID NOT get rad flushed before install, bought new degass cap, either pressures up alot or not at all, NO oil in coolant, NO coolant in oil, NO sweet smelling exhaust either! Been filling the coolant up when seen low (under the min), should be at "LOW" when at running temp right? What should my engine, coolant, and trans temp run? mine usually runs around 173-180 on eng & cool, and like 150 on trans. But if I jump on it my eng & cool will go up around 190-210! Normal? Any HELP would be great!!!!

·
Registered
897 Posts
Your new coolant filter didn't have anything to do with the truck puking. It seems like your thermostat is stuck open for one. Do you have an EGR delete? Is the truck studded at all? If you put the old cap back on, will it not puke?

IMPORTANT: The level of your coolant should be at the factory MIN line. That is the new MAX.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Yes, the coolant should be at the min mark when the truck is off and cold. Not warm and running.

Reactions: Bullmastiff07

·
Registered
117 Posts
This may be a dumb question but I only mention this because I have gotten the same phone call before...

You made sure the two valves on the filter head are in the open position right?If one of those is closed it's going to cause pressure in the coolant system.

Did it puke coolant before you installed the filter kit?

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
This may be a dumb question but I only mention this because I have gotten the same phone call before...

You made sure the two valves on the filter head are in the open position right?If one of those is closed it's going to cause pressure in the coolant system.

Good point! Sometimes the simplest solutions can be overlooked.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts

Ive always wondered why they put the valves there in the first place? If they are closed and that causes pressure then why have them?

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Ive always wondered why they put the valves there in the first place? If they are closed and that causes pressure then why have them?
Having the valves installed allows for a cleaner filter change since once the valves are closed the coolant will not keep leaking out while changing filters.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Having the valves open or closed shouldn't matter. The filter kit is just a bypass. Your coolant will flow like stock when the valves are closed (or the filter is plugged up).

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
I hear ya, but typically the coolant filter will be at the high point of the system and spliced into the heater circuit... Wont be too much leaking from there, but I hear ya. I would think the filter being full of coolant when you spin it off would leak more than the hoses.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I hear ya, but typically the coolant filter will be at the high point of the system and spliced into the heater circuit... Wont be too much leaking from there, but I hear ya. I would think the filter being full of coolant when you spin it off would leak more than the hoses.
Where they mount it at the top of the radiator is a couple inches bellow the degas bottle. It can be pretty messy

·
Super Moderator
12,955 Posts
wait what? Isn't the sinister kit a bypass system like XDP/Dieselsite/PMM?.....Sooo if the valve is closed, coolant flow just doesn't go that way but it shouldn't create more pressure in the system....right?

Edit: Thanks sixOH, I thought I was losing my mind for a second :crazy:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yeah it should just bypass, that's why I asked him if it was blowing coolant before he installed it.

It wasn't designed to solve blown head gasket, oil cooler or EGR cooler issues. It was designed to avoid future issues.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
As far as puking after coolant filter install goes I would put the old cap on and any other variables that were changed ( as long as it didn't puke before install) and see what happens. Your ect numbers from cruising and getting on it have me wondering...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have installed a livewire SCT tuner, 4" turbo back exhaust, a H&S intake, and then the coolant filter system from Sinister! I have a EGR delete kit but haven't put it on yet. also no studs (but planning on them), as well as it didn't puke before, just after and I think I threw the old degas cap away! whether the coolant filter valves are open or closed its the same! but i have been thinking that the min fill line was full while running and at temp. I think it pukes just enough out to bring it to the min line while off and cool. I will watch to see what happens if I don't fill it up anymore. and how long should it take to depressureize after driving around? and what should my temp be for ECT & EOT

·
Premium Member
4,182 Posts
I have installed a livewire SCT tuner, 4" turbo back exhaust, a H&S intake, and then the coolant filter system from Sinister! I have a EGR delete kit but haven't put it on yet. also no studs (but planning on them), as well as it didn't puke before, just after and I think I threw the old degas cap away! whether the coolant filter valves are open or closed its the same! but i have been thinking that the min fill line was full while running and at temp. I think it pukes just enough out to bring it to the min line while off and cool. I will watch to see what happens if I don't fill it up anymore. and how long should it take to depressureize after driving around? and what should my temp be for ECT & EOT
Did you install the tuner at the same time as the coolant filter?

Was this time the first time that you have ran a tuner?

What tune r u running?

If you did it all at the same time it is more than likely your headgaskets were slightly blown and now you are just seeing it because of the tuner. The tuner could also have made the blown gaskets much worse. Take the tune off and drive around for a week and see if it goes away and/or gets better.

I have had blown headgaskets before with no signs other than degas bottle puking. No oil in water, no water in oil, no sweet smelling coolant etc... You can do a simple test by putting a T on one of you degas hoses and hook up a pressure gauge and see what it does

·
Super Moderator
12,955 Posts
ECT should be about 190-191 before the t-stat opens, EOT should be within 8 or so degrees of that on a healthy system. Max delta is 15 degrees before you should start thinking about replacing the oil cooler.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts