Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So if im am reading their instructions correctly (the 94-97 install), the wvo feeds into the return lines (reversing the origional flow) to fuel the heads/injectors? And it does this by turning off the diesel pump, and also bypasses the fuel bowl. Is this correct?

http://www.dinofuelalternatives.com/downloadmanual.php?file=1994-1997_installation_manual.pdf

(Page 7 in particular)

So then, what happens to the diesel return? does it push back into the return lines toward the veggie feed until it meets with enough opposing force?

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
So if im am reading their instructions correctly (the 94-97 install), the wvo feeds into the return lines (reversing the origional flow) to fuel the heads/injectors? And it does this by turning off the diesel pump, and also bypasses the fuel bowl. Is this correct?

http://www.dinofuelalternatives.com/downloadmanual.php?file=1994-1997_installation_manual.pdf

(Page 7 in particular)

So then, what happens to the diesel return? does it push back into the return lines toward the veggie feed until it meets with enough opposing force?
The stock OBS fuel bowl turns into a pressurized bowl like the the 99+ superduty. So the fuel enters the bowl pressurized from the electric fuel pump. goes through filter and out bottom of fuel filter. runs through check valve and T to go to rear of heads (DFA step 12). The hole that is drilled and tapped in step 10 goes back to tank pressurized, and the purple inline FPR in step 3 on the frame rail regulates the pressure for the diesel side. So the diesel pressure is done in the fuel bowl before it goes out the bottom of the the bowl and through the check valve.

The Vegistroke system filters, heats and pressure regulates the WVO at the V3 block on the frame rail. The fuel is the brought up to engine compartment and connected to the original diesel lines on the front of the heads and its pressure regulated wvo pushing against the check valve on the opposite side of system, that lets diesel in but not vegie out diesel side. (V3 runs at a higher pressure than stock diesel pump, so when the V3 block senses higher pressure it will remove power from the stock diesel pump.)

When the V3 block is not supplying pressurized WVO, its closed and will not let anything reverse past it back to WVO tank, unless you push the purge switch. The V3 in a no power state is closed also, so even if its total power failure, as long as diesel side it working, truck will operate normally.

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
OBS, 99-03 7.3s and 6.0 Veggiestroke systems all run on the same concept of having a veggie line and diesel line on oppposing ports of cylinder head. then a check valve on diesel side, so diesel can go in but not reverse out.

Veggie and diesel must make it to cylinder fuel port filtered and pressure regulated.

The only thing that changes is the configuration of line connections. OBS are diesel in rear of heads, WVO front. 6.0 is opposite, diesel in front WVO in rear. and 99-03 7.3 is diesel in pass rear/ driver front, and WVO driver rear, pass front.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks, that helps a bit. im goign to have to compare this to my stock setup to get a good visual. so the wvo enters at the T they have you install at the bottom of the fuel bowl? thus bypassing the fuel bowl for wvo?

that is one of my main concerns, that the wvo does not enter that 500 gallon fuel bowl. :Rant:

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
Page 7? Didn't see page numbers....do you mean step 7?
I'm not familiar with the fuel system on the early models so i'll let Jason answer this one.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
as i scroll it tells me what page im currently on, they arent numbered. its the first step installing the vegistroke.

thanks, so the veg goes directly into the heads. as i understand it, the veg goes what used to be the return line correct?

also, the veng never hits the fuel bowl correct?

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
thanks, that helps a bit. im goign to have to compare this to my stock setup to get a good visual. so the wvo enters at the T they have you install at the bottom of the fuel bowl? thus bypassing the fuel bowl for wvo?

that is one of my main concerns, that the wvo does not enter that 500 gallon fuel bowl. :Rant:
The diesel and WVO are completely separate. The diesel goes in fuel bowl then out the bottom through the check valve, splits at T to go to back of each head. The stock diesel return lines that come out of the heads are now the pressurized WVO feed lines into the heads. The stock FPR is removed from the side of the fuel bowl and fuel bowl is modified with a line that feeds directly back to the diesel tank with a fuel pressure regulator inline, and regulates pressure at the fuel bowl

The front lines which orginaly connected to the stock FPR are now the feed lines directly from the V3 directly into the front ports to the front ports of cylinder head. WVO comes from the V3 heated, presurized, and filtered to the front of the heads. The check valve on the diesel side stops the WVO from pushing the diesel system backwards.

The idea of the system is the diesel and WVO feed from opposite side of the heads independently of each other. What is called a dead head system. Diesel feeds to the back of the heads pressure regulated and filtered and doesnt come back out. The WVO does the same through the front of the heads, but can also open an orfice (purge valve) and let the diesel flush wvo backwards into tank to clean out heads at shutdown. The only time diesel and WVO are common are in internally in cylinder fuel rails, and through the injectors into the engine, or if you flush backwards to the wvo tank.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks AF that answer my questions and confirms what i was thinking! its hard for me when i dont have something to look at. i just have to visualize it all. those pics of the return lines arent enough.

i ask because im replacing my pump soon, and would prefer to just convert to electric. but from what i see in the instructions, i could build a similar system crazy cheap and make my own in-line filter instead of using the V3. yes it would be manual but wouldnt cost $3500

right now there is a different system i dont care much for. and all the veg goes intot eh fuel bowl and never truley flushes...

·
Registered
923 Posts
instead of being a plantg drive where u need the switching valves and use the stock fuel system it just runs it strait into the normal fuel system and back

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
Thanks AF that answer my questions and confirms what i was thinking! its hard for me when i dont have something to look at. i just have to visualize it all. those pics of the return lines arent enough.

i ask because im replacing my pump soon, and would prefer to just convert to electric. but from what i see in the instructions, i could build a similar system crazy cheap and make my own in-line filter instead of using the V3. yes it would be manual but wouldnt cost $3500

right now there is a different system i dont care much for. and all the veg goes intot eh fuel bowl and never truley flushes...
Yeah sorry about the long explaination. I searched everywhere becuase DFA used to have a diagram on there website that explained it 1000 better than in words.

The key is to use check valves and have 2 electric fuel pumps that can independently supply the diesel and WVO, and you wont have to deal with switching valves. The system then becomes rediculously simple!!!:thumb:

My first Veggie was a 95 OBS, so I know how your current system runs, either it doesnt flush out all the veggie, or you end up dumping a good 1/4 to 1/2 gal diesel back into the veggie tank.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
exactily. i just want something better than what i have, and i need to upgrade anyway with winter coming up.

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
exactily. i just want something better than what i have, and i need to upgrade anyway with winter coming up.
You won't find a system beter for your PSD than the V3...i assure you, you will be amaved at the attention to detail and the customer service that come with it as long as you own it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts