Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The true reason for the ccv mod is to what???

·
Registered
243 Posts
its to eliminate the oil that would go into your turbo and boost tubes (which usually leak out oil and can make the boots blow off).

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how would this effect my performance????

·
Registered
854 Posts
Well for one, the thing that routes your blowby into your intake is VERY restrictive of air flow. Probably blocks off 20-30% of the intake tube.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Take off one of your boots and then tell us what you figure out. :hehe:

·
Registered
854 Posts
That too... It's heck on intercooler boots...
Just unhook the hose between your air filter and the valve cover, look at that thing protruding and that's enough to wanna jerk it out

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
right on man I do know what your talking about, but didn't know it restricts that much air flow. i just took off my intercooler inlet tube and WOW! That's a lot of nasty sh#t in there! Do you know of any good CCV mod posts for how to DIY?????

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I run a closed system ccv mod and had to keep the stock piece that supposidly blocks 20% of the airflow. I have a hard time believing that it blocks enough to do anything. They also say the AIH blocks 20% of flow as well. I took that out and it obviously made no difference. So I guess what im trying to say is I dont thing that CCV piece in the intake tract takes any performance or airflow away. one could always just trim that little lip that sticks up in there if they wanted to.:thumb:

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
If you think it is not restrictive you don't flow enough air.....LOL.... I will tell you this, if you tow heavy a lot, getting rid of that CCV block it will drop the EGT's a little since the air flows much better. Plus the oil is not blowing the intercooler boots at 23psi pulling grades.

Do some dynamic flow testing on the system with and without the CCV POS restriction in it. All I can tell you is my truck flows 1770cfm through the filter heading into the turbo under full boost. Anything in the way will restrict that much air flow so I don't want anything in the way. That is just my $.02 worth on that.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
hmmmmm. I will have to trim it flush then tomorrow when I put my new intake on. And I dought Im flowing half as much air as you strokin!! lol Im just a stock guy

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So does the oil and crap coming from the crankcase effect the performance of the turbo itself????

·
Desert Shield/Storm Vet
9,092 Posts

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
The oil does not affect the performance of the turbo. Some have speculated the oil in the intercooler reduces efficiency but no hard evidence has ever been shown to my knowledge.

Another 7.3 with a stock turbo recorded 801cfm of air through the air cleaner. With that much air flowing any kind of restriction relief can't hurt.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
yup, im for suer gonna cut that thing out of my intake tomorrow. Im gonna cut it out with a cutting bit on my dremel. I have to keep that piece cuz my ccv routes back into my intake there. I could drill a hole in my new intake tube but i dont think i wanna do that. thanks for the advice strokin

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
When i took off my turbo intake tube, oil dripped out. If anyone knows of a good, sealed system..... please PM me. I would like to get one

1 - 15 of 15 Posts