Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"04 6.0 PSD" Left norfolk last night headed back to ohio for my grand dads funeral and had nothing but trouble with the old truck the whole way. When i was leavin town and about to go through the tunnel i heard a noise that sound like a shotgun go off under my truck somewhere, truck started to shake and then lost power. Pulled over and poped the hood and too my surprise the intercooler tube coming off of the turbo blew clean off....:tard: Got it back together and went down the road 40 or 50 miles and noticed a lack in power and my turbo was surging quite a bit goin through the mountains. Pulled over to check the pipe again and it was almost all the way out again. i made sure the grove on the boot was in the grove on the intercooler tube, and tightend it down reall good.... well long story short this happend from norfolk to West VA about 5 times. The last time i got a closer look at the inside of the boot and it was saturated in oil. upon further inspection i looked down in the turbo and seen that there had been a fine mist of oil coming from behind the impeller. First thoughts shaft seals are bad. Im not really familiar with this turbo but when i got to ohio today i stoped by the ford dealer and seen if the sell a rebuild kit for this turbo and they dont... gona look around to see what i can find but ive been having nothing but trouble with the turbo from day one, vanes sticking, when it gets hot it blows boost as soon as you get on the skinny peadal and now it wants to blow the intercooler piping off....??? im going to presure test the intercooler and see if its plugged up also. Any one have some advice for a route i should try? I have 16 days till i have to be back from leave so im tryin to figure out somthing prety fast. :confused:

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
You sir need a turbo. That seal went bad. You can get a rebuild kit on ebay. There is one guy on there that sells them, it comes with bearings and seals. If that seal went bad the oil is not bathing the bearings and just blowing into your intake and intercooler. It's surging possibly because the bearings are worn out because the shaft is moving because the thrust washer is shot. And it's getting hot because all this is causing a lack of boost. You need to rebuild or (recommended) get a new turbo.

I rebuilt mine, and it cost 250 and I found a used housing. If you get an ATS housing, wicked wheel, rebuild kit and do it yourself it's gonna be a real pretty penny!

You COULD drive it back, just REALLY REALLY baby it, I mean boostless accelleration, and expect terrible mileage. Like single digits. Your best bet to make the boots stay is clean 'em all as best as possible and spray the pipes and inner boot with hair spray and crank 'em down tight enough to hold but not strip them.

That's my diagnosis. (COULD BE OFF this is all what would work for a 7.3's turbo.)

·
Registered
965 Posts
You can get a rebuild kit thru Ford. I found this out last week. The kicker is, that list price is around 900.00 from what the parts guy told me. List on 6.0 turbo is around 1050.00

The kit Ford sells includes new exhaust housing, the middle section where the VGT solenoid goes, impellers, shaft.
I was told you keep the compressor housing side.

·
Registered
597 Posts
so basically you stick a new turbo into your old compressor housing?? For that much, you might as well spend the extra hundred bucks and save headache of messing with the turbo, and just swap it out. Now if the rebuild kit was 400 bucks, that would be worth the 2 or 3 hours to rebuild it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lookin like im gona rebuild it... have to see if the funds will alow but thanx for the help guys.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'd suggest to leave the turbo right where it is!! The pcv system on your truck may
be allowing oil to enter the intake before the turbo, and show as a fine mist on the hot side of your innercooler. Remove the air duct hoses and clean them well. Then apply some rtv sealant (a thin layer) to the metal piping, that way no large pieces of sealant will be built up on the inside of the air duct. Get new clamps and you should not have to worry about the pipe blowing off anymore.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
I'd suggest to leave the turbo right where it is!! The pcv system on your truck may
be allowing oil to enter the intake before the turbo, and show as a fine mist on the hot side of your innercooler. Remove the air duct hoses and clean them well. Then apply some rtv sealant (a thin layer) to the metal piping, that way no large pieces of sealant will be built up on the inside of the air duct. Get new clamps and you should not have to worry about the pipe blowing off anymore.
It's not just the oil though, he said it was surging, causing excessively high egt's, low power, etc.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Once those hoses blow off we always replace them at our dealer. New hoses and clamps! there is usually a little oil in there anyway. I would go with option #2 as well before throwing to much money at it.

I had a tea kettle noise on decel and was told head gaskets. We replaced the degass bottle cap and the truck went another 5k miles before it puked. Now studded and gaskets and perfect but it was worth the cheap try to figure it out!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea im kinda at a loss these days with this truck... i love it to death and wouldnt want to own anything else but im just getting kinda dissapointed with it at the moment. Ive got a 18ft stratos bass boat i tow behind it and it man handles my truck....???? I used to tow a 20ft enclosed box trailer with race quads to the track every weekend with a half ton chevy and it didnt do as bad as my truck now... just hoping i can get the problem eliviated because ive been wanting this truck ever since they came out in 99. im geting discharged from the navy here in a few months and ill be back home where ill hopefully be abble to give my truck a little more attn. I know this truck is much more capable than what it is rite now.... well see im gona work on it some this week and see if i cant find anything out. Whats that test called that the ford guys can run on my truck with there diagnostic tool..? cost..? Oasis report, where can i get one?

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Bout a hundred bucks for a diagnostic run. They'll run codes, and see the oil n' stuff, same thing you're seeing.

·
Premium Member
4,448 Posts
some oil in the cac tubes is normal. It sounds like you may have an overboost concern on top of the fact that your boot is oil saturated. I would replace the boot and connect a boost gauge and see if there is an overboost concern.

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
Whats that test called that the ford guys can run on my truck with there diagnostic tool..? cost..? Oasis report, where can i get one?
An OASIS report is a that indicates the vehicle's build specs. that every Ford dealer uses to access the warranty repair history.

The appropriate diagnostic test for your concern is a turbo boost test.

The part number for the center housing rotating assembly is 4C3Z-9G489-AARM if your truck is a late build 2004 model.

The part number for the unison ring is 3C3Z-6C885-A for all model years.

For what's worth, it is worth buying the housing or new turbo because they are updated. The center rotating housing side of where the unison ring is situated, is now machined with a recessed dip in it, as opposed to being perfectly flat. This is supposed to prevent a repeat issue with the unison ring seizing up inside the housing. Don't forget to replace the drain tube with the update (6C3Z-9T515-A).

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
how much ushually for them just to run codes....?

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
some oil in the cac tubes is normal. It sounds like you may have an overboost concern on top of the fact that your boot is oil saturated. I would replace the boot and connect a boost gauge and see if there is an overboost concern.
what would cause over boost? sorry im asking so many questions this is just all kinda new to me and im tryin to learn a bit in the process... Im looking at pluggin up the egr soon also... o i went out this morning to get the S/N off the motor and i was takin a look at that boot again. There were little dropplets of oil all over that boot, All the way around.. so i dont think something could be spraying a mist on it. Is it a posibility that the boot dry rotted or something and is letting the oil seep through it...:dunno:

·
Registered
151 Posts
I had removed my intercooler boots and after putting them back on,they kept blowing off. I bought new boots and put hairspray on the end of the pipe and inside the boot then clamped them on and never blew one off again.
I had oil in my tubes as well but was told that there should be a bit of oil in there and that it was normal. I am still going to re route my crank case vent elsewhere than back into the intake.
Also,the company "BD Diesel" here in Canada does a mod with the 6.0l turbo. They machine something out and rebuild it suposedly making it more reliable. Cost is about a 1000 bucks CND funds from what I heard. I'm having issues right now and I think it's my turbo as well. Going to give those guys a call here today.I'll let you know what I find out.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Just called BD Diesel (Abbotsford B.C Canada) and talked with there turbo department. They said you can send your turbo in and they do a bunch of machining so the turbo vains won't stick anymore. Also they rebuild it with new bearings and seals and the cost id about 550 600 bucks CND funds. I know mine is going there A.S.A.P! I wouldn't even consider looking at my self when they can do all the work and all i have to do is R&R the turbo. 600 bucks is dirt cheap in my mind. They seem like a great company to deal with. Very friendly and very helpfull.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
BD diesel has definatley been a thought... I ran across a cranck case breather relocation kit from them for about 300 bucks, im wonderin if i cant just take it off the intake and put a small air filter on it.. Where is the ccv even located? O and i went to ford today and ordered a new boot......woooeee $$$$ that thing was $91 with tax, kinda hurts to sit down now if you know what i mean. As far as the turbo goes im thinkin about tryin to push it a little longer until i get out of the navy in a few months and get back home because i planin on pullin the motor and goin through and doin studs and ect... so im thinkin im gona wait for that.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Pulled an oaisis report on the truck today while i was at the Stealership... This truck has been in quite a few times actually. Its goten a few injectors replaced, pcm was replaced, pcm/ficm were reflashed twice, engine harness was replaced at one time, and has been in numerouse times for surging turbo and ect...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts