Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Uhh yeah, I don't think so...

2K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  Heavy_GD 
#1 ·
Triage sends me a pt. yesterday. Guy says he was hit by a car while crossing the street at an intersection. Knocked unconscious for approx 2 minutes, can't put any pressure on his right leg / foot, ankle swollen, abrasions scattered about his body.
I ask him why he wasn't brought in by an ambulance (he was brought into the ER by family). He tells me the Police and Fire came out to the scene, looked him over and said there was nothing wrong with him. He goes on to say that the paramedics refused to transport him. :gr_bs::gr_bs::gr_bs: With an LOC and obvious injuries, yeah, I'm not buying this for a second, in fact I am sure there is a law about refusing to transport a pt.
His family goes on to tell me they have the police report from the incident and pull out a piece of paper. It is 3x5 (similar to a note pad) and has a service number on it and says, get this........Contact City of Dallas Parking Enforcement Division at yada yada yada. No no kids, this is not a Police report, this is information concerning a parking violation.
I have no idea what actually happened to the guy, but he did tangle with something bigger than him and lost (fractured femur). But there was no way I was having any part of this "Paramedics wouldn't transport me" crap.
Anyways, just thought I'd share.
Craig

See less See more
#2 ·
sounds like he's gonna be one rich pup if its true. i highly doubt that the ambulance would refuse him at $500 smackers a ride.

#6 ·
That aside, this guy really was hurt, there is no way our EMS which is the Dallas Fire Dept. wouldn't transport if requested to do so.

I'm going with they came up with the story about being hit etc while they all sobered up from whatever caused his injuries and drove to the hospital ;)happen to get a look at the condition of the vehicle they arrived in?
I couldn't help but wonder if he was hit by a family member (on purpose / accident who knows :dunno:) Didn't see the vehicle, I was way in the back of the ER, and who knows where they parked.

I don't think I could work in a job where I had to deal with "Those People" on a regular basis! The idea of lieing to benefit in that way makes me sick!
I didn't appreciate them saying our FD wouldn't bring them in. I could be wrong, and they got the worst crew Dallas' FD has to offer, but I just don't buy it.
As for dealing with "those people" this term is all encompassing (Rich to poor and every color of skin) people will pull all kinds of crap. For me the reward comes from helping those truly sick / injured (which this guy was). I bet if asked, that is what most in LE / FD / EMS would tell you is rewarding........helping others.
Craig

#5 ·
I don't think I could work in a job where I had to deal with "Those People" on a regular basis! The idea of lieing to benefit in that way makes me sick!

#8 ·
thats what i was thinking

#11 ·
Hey all,
I have been a full time FF/PM for 19yrs with a busy suburban Chicago dept.
There is no way the crew on scene is going to look at this guy and get a refusal!. Maybe he had warrants and didn't want any more police scrutiny?

#14 ·
Def sounds kinda fishy. I know that no one around here would let him go without trying to talk him into it. He could have refused and then said that they refused to take him :dunno:

not only that but its would also be considered abandonment and a violation of your duty to act as a medical technician

if i was on a medic bus he would be transported reguardless if he wanted to go or not just due to m.o.i auto-peds are ones where the car will win

oh and i could not possibly see dallas fd not transport him
If you take someone to the hospital against their will, that is kidnapping. Plain and simple.

#16 ·
Def sounds kinda fishy. I know that no one around here would let him go without trying to talk him into it. He could have refused and then said that they refused to take him :dunno:

If you take someone to the hospital against their will, that is kidnapping. Plain and simple.
well yea true but just m.o.i thould be enough for transport regardless...
and if he refused then he should have paperwork and dfd should have the paperwork signed and everything

#18 ·
If he refused he would def have paperwork. I have been to many people that SHOULD have been transported and did not want to go. You can do your best to talk them into it, and they wont budge. Around here, most of the cops could care less if they go to the hospital. That is not their job.

#19 ·
There is more too this story than this guy and his family were telling me. My main point was that it ticked me off when he said he was refused transport to the hospital. That was when my B.S. detector went off.

And like Logan said transporting against their will is kidnapping, treating them against their will is assault.

Doesn't matter to me how you injured yourself, just don't lie about other good men or women refusing to help you.
Craig

#20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDPOWERSMOKER
not only that but its would also be considered abandonment and a violation of your duty to act as a medical technician

if i was on a medic bus he would be transported reguardless if he wanted to go or not just due to m.o.i auto-peds are ones where the car will win

oh and i could not possibly see dallas fd not transport him

Wasn't he an altered LOC. Bag 'em and drag 'em, willing or not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.