Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a trip to the mountains this week and when I pulled up at home to park my small trailer I was towing I had trans fluid leaking everywhere. Crawled under the truck and it looks like trans fluid was leaking from the pan where a bolt had come out of the pan. I will attach a pic!!

Truck ran fine all week and all the way home, just hope nothing got messed up. Checked the dipstick and it was dry. Gonna have it towed tomorrow to shop to get it checked out because I am far from mechanically inclined.

What kind of trans fluid should be used? Does gasket need to be replaced with a new one? How many quarts does trans take? Anything else I should have the shop look at? Is there a filter that should be changed?

Any help is appreciated.
It’s a 2001 7.3

Attachments

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
The missing bolt is on the "inspection cover" and unrelated to fluid loss. Most likely the transmission overheated and puke fluid out of the front seal. Cheap fix is to add some fluid and test drive before sending to the shop.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Greenskeeper is right. That is an inspection cover plate and the odds are the front seal on your transmission is done. You can probably add fluid to it and see if it will hold, but my experience with these things is that it will not for very long and you will probably have to have the transmission dropped and serviced. This could get pricey.

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
8,576 Posts
Took a trip to the mountains this week and when I pulled up at home to park my small trailer I was towing I had trans fluid leaking everywhere. Crawled under the truck and it looks like trans fluid was leaking from the pan where a bolt had come out of the pan. I will attach a pic!!

Truck ran fine all week and all the way home, just hope nothing got messed up. Checked the dipstick and it was dry. Gonna have it towed tomorrow to shop to get it checked out because I am far from mechanically inclined.

What kind of trans fluid should be used? Does gasket need to be replaced with a new one? How many quarts does trans take? Anything else I should have the shop look at? Is there a filter that should be changed?

Any help is appreciated.
It’s a 2001 7.3
If my memory serves the transmission hold around 17 quarts but the pan hold 6-7ish. go buy 2 or 3 gallons of Valvoline dexmerc from walmart and a long narrow funnel. add a couple quarts and wait 5 minutes and add more till you are at the cold full line. start the truck up and shift through all the gears and put back in park and turn the truck off. wait about 10 or so minutes and check again.

once the truck is at the cold full mark take it for a drive and get the truck/transmission warm and check it again.

The oem transmission cooler is a piece of junk on the 99-03 7.3ls and many install one of two kits.

tru cool kit or the 6.0l transmission cooler (both require some work and an adapter for larger hoses and few feet of 1/2in oil rated hose but are easy. did mine in like 3hrs in the street in front of my house).

I would get the trucks fluid right and install one of the above transmission coolers and truck on for now.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How much would front seal be to get fixed? Anyone have a guess. Truck is going to shop tomorrow to get checked out!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just got a call from my mechanic and he states I need a new trans. Mechanic says pump stopped working and that would mean I need a new trans.
Does this sound right or do I need another opinion?

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I would wait for @[email protected] to reply and get his opinion. He is the resident 7.3/4r100 (your trans) expert.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Sorry man - about the only thing I know about automatics are the following:
1) My wife can't drive one to save her life and she kills them early.
2) They *always* have to be overhauled based on number 1.
3) It's never cheap.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Since you say you were towing when this ocured, you had a sign of the classic overheated 4R100 trans/torque converter. So I would fill it up and test drive it to see if it drives and still leaks, if no leaking and it shifts fine just drive it. The trans shaft seal will have cooled and sealed up and hold fluid, if it continues to leak then the trans will need to be taken out to replace that seal and it might make sense to ck the whole trans out and rebuild. If it was caused by the over heating you have to figure out why. Cooler clogged or blocked, bad bypass valve or slipping bad trans.
You could have a blocked/malfuntioning bypass valve/tube that could be causing the over heating or it could have been the towing. I certainly wouldn't pay someone 2,3 or 4K to rebuild it if it still drives fine after filling it up.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I picked it up and drove it to another place that specializes in trans only work and it drove fine there which was a 30 minute drive. Second place is removing the trans on Monday and going through it to see if anything is damaged. He has already stated it may need a torque converter and new pump but also said they drove it and it leaked no fluid and drove fine.

My fear is just continuing to drive it until it pukes fluid all over the place again. Again I am not mechanically inclined so I am kind of going off what they tell me.

When the trans leaked and puked fluid I was simply just backing a 5x8 trailer backwards into a driveway. 2nd mechanic did state that trans is under a lot more stress when going backward. He thinks pump overheated and may have caused damage and he also thinks I guess pump gasket or some gasket in front of trans may be compromised.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Backing up the truck would create a no air flow tru the trans cooler issue and could cause a over heat if it was a long heavy push but a simple small 5"x8" into a driveway I doubt it.
Hopefully you've got a guy who knows all the little fixes and up grades that the 4R100 need to make them great. I had mine rebuilt with a upgraded torque converter and also had a TransGo "Tugger" upgrade kit installed when mine was done a great investment to do ! Along with a added large trans fluid cooler. The features it has are great and 85,000 miles later my trans is still towing strong.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Rebuild begins tomorrow. Should be back on the road friday. $4000 later with all upodates and 3 year, 100,000 mile warranty

1 - 20 of 21 Posts