Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i decided that today i was going to change the donuts on my up-pipes, the last remaining v-band is kickin my butt, thats the one behind the turbo, i got 1 of 3 sections of the v-band off can't get the others as its a royal pain to get something in there to pry it off, but while i contemplate that i am cleaning the ic pipes and they are getting a paint job along with the spider haven't decided yet if i want to paint the turbo or not, i'll be soooo happy when i get that turbo off, gettin tired of smellin diesel exhaust in the cab, not to mention its even worse when its idling and the hood is up. but as far as painting the ic pipes, they are soaking in some degreaser, they are covered in grease, oil, dirt and God only knows what else, then i figure a wipe down with some acetone, then the paint, i have chosen to paint them red and blue and the spider is going to be a silver/greyish color, i think it will look pretty good with the exception of that turbo but again dunno may paint it.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I had a real hard time getting mine off also!! You are doing the best thing by walking away for a bit, you will get it!! good luck!!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Sorry to hear it is a such a pain in the @$$.

After I get all my current projects done with the truck exhaust was going to be my next priority. I was looking at the up pipes Diesel Innovations sells.

Now I know what I have to look forward to...:doh:

Thanks!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah i got them off before when i rebuilt my turbo, that took a couple of hours but i prevailed, borrowed a crowbar this time and a small ballpeen hammer and bam, its off and the turbo's out, but since i rounded off the bolt for the up-pipe my only course is to take the whole exhaust off, with the exception of the manifolds, looks to me like it would be easier to cut the bolts off than try to save them, they are soo rusty and corroded, so i got her up in the air and sawzal in standby, i can't see any other way to get the up-pipe bolts off except heat and i don't want to do that while they are in the truck, my next quest is the downpipe if i can get that bastard out of the way to get my saw up there i am gold, tried going out through the engine that didn't work, tried pulling down and that didn't work, i'm thinking you have to take out the transmission crossmember and i'm not feelin it, probably just put a jack on it and push it out of the way.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I had to cut my down pipe to get it out.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well this sucks, got the up-pipes out, broke 2 of the 4 bolts for the turbo mount and also 1 of the bolts that holds the turbo to the pedestal, they are not completely froze but you cannot get a pair of pliers to grip them, so its out with the drill, burnt 2 drill bits and broke 2 more, this is starting to turnout to be one of those projects i regret starting. but i'll get it one of these days...lol

·
Govy Magnet
714 Posts
You don't need a welder if you cut your downpipe just a band-clamp (no v). Those are what big rigs use for the exhaust to stay together and they are removable and re usable. I have had a band clamp on mine after I cut the exhaust for two years now and only one time it fell off but no big deal.
-Phil

1 - 8 of 8 Posts