Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have the DS out of my 04 CCLB... i am trying to replace a bad u-joint. i have done u-joints in the past but not on this truck so i expected to just be able to pound them out and install the new ones. Well so far all i have gotten is to apply a big beating to the yoke and nothing has moved as far as u-joint cups.
any advice from someone that has done it?
i read on a local driveshaft shops website that ford staked some u-joints in place..making them non-servicable. also friction welded the shaft together making the carrier bearing non removable.
any validity to that statement...in regards to this model/year of truck ?

a friend told me GM used to use some resin glue on there u-joints so ya needed heat then they came right out.

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
Silly question, but you removed the clips, right?
If they're really seized in there, I usually cut the centre section out with a torch, then knock the cups out with an air hammer.

·
Premium Member
11,853 Posts
^^ +1 on the air hammer, much better than pounding with a punch and hammer. Less destructive (if properly used) and the high frequency vibrations will help break it free much quicker than beating on it with a hammer.

·
6.2 Convert
1,383 Posts
When I did my 04 the clips were rusted and a couple of them broke on the way out so I had to dink around with a small punch and hammer to remove the remaining pieces. Once they were out I put the joint in a vise and pressed them out with sockets. They were really in there and I used more muscle on them than any others I've ever done. After cleaning up the bores, the new ones went in much easier.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yep, the clips broke/crumbled on both cups where i removed them...and the punch werk sucked but i got all the piecesl outta there. They are currently soaking in PB Blaster so I will attempt more on it tonite...I thought about the vice idea since it is sitting on the vice to support it during its beatings so I will use that tonite and see if they budge. Otherwise I have a shop lined up in town that will do the whole job + rebalance it for $300-$350.
I would rather do it myself cuz thats just me (plus avoid going near downtown Cincinnati) but they have all the right tools and presses and will make short werk of it. Plus a rebalance so thats a good thing.

A side question though...is an air hammer the same as an air chisel?

·
Administrator
33,316 Posts
same tool

its a Pneumatic punch/hammer/chisel/shear/scraper/balljoint seperator / ETC just change the insert

I had my rear drive shaft in the press when the hydraulic jack failed I was all to happy to take mine in and have it done and balanced it was going to be a Pain to DIY

·
Premium Member
2,789 Posts
You can rent a ball joint press for free from advance, orileys, or autozone. It makes it easier.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Or you can do the old Thor method with some extra penetrating fluid. Took me a little bit but that's how I did mine about 3 months ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts