Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, this is the first Powerstroke I've owned. It's a 1996 F-250 with the 7.3L stroke. Right now I've been having an unduly amount of trouble with the u joint's going into the rear end. This last time around it's cost me the transmission. I was wondering if anyone has any advice as to a possible solution for this problem. I have a brand new driveline balanced and u joints installed by the company that did the repair. The only thing I touched was the install on the rear end and the transfer case. Any advice is welcome, Thanks.

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
:welcome1:
You're saying that you can't get the rear lined up and bolted up or excessive vibration or what?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I got the driveline installed, and after about a week and a half it caused my transmission case to crack while I was driving

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
From excessive vibration? I guess I'm not following. Not jointing correctly or is that what you're asking?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes excessive vibration, but I'm not sure why my rear ujoint keeps failing. I believe that the bearing cap failed and fell off, after which the excessive vibration caused by this cracked my tranny case. I'm trying to find out why after only two weeks the cap failed. On the rear end, I have the straps that bolt to the yoke and I made sure that they were tightened as much as possible.

·
Registered
90 Posts
did you mark the yokes to ensure the driveshaft went back in the same orientation as it came out? for the trans you can try using a product called duraweld to weld the crack its basically like soldering for aluminum check it out online.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
have you checked the play in the pinion bearing?

·
Registered
303 Posts
On the rear end, I have the straps that bolt to the yoke and I made sure that they were tightened as much as possible.
and we have the source of the problem

1 - 8 of 8 Posts