Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok changed my oil a couple of days ago and now i have this annoying noise coming from my truck. How long does this usually last? Anybody found a way to avoid it?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
568 Posts
Ford posted a bulletin on it, it is normal and will go away after 200-399 miles if not sooner

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Ok changed my oil a couple of days ago and now i have this annoying noise coming from my truck. How long does this usually last? Anybody found a way to avoid it?

It might be the def pump emptying the def from the lines back to the tank. Even with deleted tuning the def pump still does this process after vehicle is shut off.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Super Moderator
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I read that it goes away after a couple hundred miles. I changed it myself this time. Don't know if that makes a difference. I don't think it is the DEF tank. The noise is definitely in the front of the truck.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using auto guide App

·
Super Moderator
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just put 2500 miles on my truck going from Florida to Tennessee and back. Still sounds like a typewriter. Can't hear it inside the cab, but no mistaking it when you get out. Ran like a top the whole trip and averaged 17.5 MPG, which included a lot of mountain driving. I don't want to put it back to stock so i can take it to the dealership. Any ideas?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Steve,Thats funny you posted this because i just changed my oil and filter on saturday and it started doing the same thing this is the first oil change on the truck it has only six thousand miles on it it sounds like and old motor with a valve tap I used A Lucas oil additive also with 15 w 40 rottela oil that i used in all my diesels let me know if it goes away and i will do the same call me tomorrow 302-542-2289 , Joe I am going to call ford tommorow

·
Super Moderator
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Everything that I have read or heard was it should go away after a couple of hundred miles. The one thing I am wondering is this is the third time the oil had been changed. The first 2 were at the dealership and the this one I did. Never had this problem when it was done at the dealership. I can't imagine they do anything differently. Pretty straight forward job.

·
Registered
74 Posts
yes i agree i also just read that it could be air in the fuel pump i also drained the water fuel conditrioner on the same day but i leading to beleive the oil change did it

·
Super Moderator
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like we performed the same maintenance. I agree i don't think it has anything to do with the water separator being drained.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Just curious, are both you guy's running 15-40 wt oil? I heard the factory fill is 10-30 just wondering if the heavier weight oil is adding to the tapping noise.

·
Super Moderator
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, 15-40 here and i have wondered the same thing.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My truck is still making that same stupid noise i might change the oil or trade it in lol

·
Super Moderator
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Guess I'll try the factory oil next time. Can't figure there is that much difference, but who knows.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Wally has the Rotella T5 10-30 for about $12,00 a gallon.

·
Registered
74 Posts
LFD are you stil getting the ticking noice ?

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Ill say this so take it for what its worth. I have tried other oil than motorcraft twice in my truck. Twice. On each occasion the bearings on the turbo went out. Coincidence? I don't know. Im sticking with motorcraft. I get better fuel mileage with it anyway.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using AutoGuide.com App

·
Super Moderator
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ill say this so take it for what its worth. I have tried other oil than motorcraft twice in my truck. Twice. On each occasion the bearings on the turbo went out. Coincidence? I don't know. Im sticking with motorcraft. I get better fuel mileage with it anyway.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using AutoGuide.com App
Just speaking on the fuel mileage portion of your post. I cant believe that the difference between one oil and the next is enough to reflect in a increase or decrease of fuel mileage. It would have to be so slight that most people would never notice the difference. That being said, I will be switching to motorcraft at my next oil change.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just got my 1st oil change on Monday and questioned the service writer when I got my receipt because it said 10w30. She said the 2011's and newer use 10w30. Drove from Kannapolis,NC to Danville,VA and back as soon as I left the dealership and no typewriter noise here.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts