Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys im new to the forum, Ive been a volley fireman for 4 years now in Johnson County Missouri. I just got a 6.4 and its been very cold lately so my questions are, Is it hard to start these trucks and take off in the middle of the night, and is it hard to leave them running while where on a call? Several of us drive diesels and this time of year we just let them idle while were gone.

·
Premium Member
5,529 Posts
other than someone stealing it it should be ok, as long as its under...I say 5 hours or so

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I won't leave it running for structures but on your shorter mva's and medicals I figured it would be okay

·
Registered
755 Posts
I can relate to your concern. Although my truck is older I don't drive it on calls after the temps get down in the 30's. First off I can't afford to leave the block heater plugged in all the time. Secondly, my old 7.3 sounds like it's trying to push clattering engine parts out of any openeing it can at those temps. My neighbor has even commented before how my truck sounded like it was going to cut loose on cold mornings. So I drive my Jeep Cherokee once it's cold outside. Our statoin OP normally is that POV's don't go on runs but still getting to the station can be tough on the old girl.

The idle time would be fine. Local ambulance services have 6.4 powerplants and they leave them idling. Even on structure fires they will sit on scene for hours. Other than fuel consumption I wouldn't think it would be an issue.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I guess the idling is true, out ambulances are 6.7s and they leave them running all the time also. Were the same way we have to respond to the station, it's very rare to run pov to a scene unless your an officer

·
Premium Member
2,783 Posts
I'd say you're alright going to the station when its cold out, just dont push her hard to she warms up. I'm about 2-3 mins from my station and I usually take my time, unless its a confirmed structure or serious MVA, esp when its cold out. Now with my 6.7 that truck is pretty much fire up and go. It sure is not and day difference from my 06 6.0, great truck, but didn't like to go when it was below 20* unless she was warm.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what I was told about my last cummins I had is that it was okay to fire it up and roll without tearing anything up, I figured this truck is probably the same way

·
Registered
7 Posts
I always respond to the station unless the truck beats me out my 6.0 dont like the middle of the night runs when its sat for a while luckily i only live about 2 miles from the station

·
Premium Member
31,729 Posts
Let it idle if its under an hour. Wont hurt a thing except your wallet.

And firing it in the middle of the night unplugged wont hurt either. Start it. Scrape your windows if you have to and go.

If no window scraping take it easy the first few blocks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts