Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to use a VGT turbo in a twin turbo set-up? Reason I ask is, I was at an Industrial Injection diesel show and they had a display motor with a VGT and a non-VGT set-up for a Duramax and was wondering if it can be done for the 6.0?

·
Premium Member
481 Posts

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Is it possible to use a VGT turbo in a twin turbo set-up? Reason I ask is, I was at an Industrial Injection diesel show and they had a display motor with a VGT and a non-VGT set-up for a Duramax and was wondering if it can be done for the 6.0?
I would like to see if this is possible as well but I know as of to date, no one has been successful in getting a VGT turbo to work in a compound setup on a Ford 6.0.

Perhaps once Adrian looks for his "next experiement" he will look into something like this.

The Dmaxes can do this where the 6.0 can't because their computer allows it and so far ours does not. They also have EFI live and we do not.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
I would like to see if this is possible as well but I know as of to date, no one has been successful in getting a VGT turbo to work in a compound setup on a Ford 6.0.

Perhaps once Adrian looks for his "next experiement" he will look into something like this.

The Dmaxes can do this where the 6.0 can't because their computer allows it and so far ours does not. They also have EFI live and we do not.
EFI Live is a pretty amazing tool, wish we could get it.

·
Premium Member
31,729 Posts
Yes you can use a VGT in a twin setup.

It functions no differently than two non VGT turbos in a twin setup:doh:

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Functions the same yes but it's just alittle bit diffrent. Not as simple as just using a vgt instead of a non vgt. The fact that no one has ever got one to last in a compound set up says something.

Deffently not saying it can't be done tho! Just don't want people reading this and thinking its that simple. Tuning is the big player here.

·
Premium Member
31,729 Posts
IIRC MPI's been using VGT's in their duramax setups for years.

Does Erics towing twins set use a VGT?

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Duramax trucks have completely diffrent tuning that is why they work so well. Controlling the vgt with a wastegate was the problem. I think I have found a way to make it work. Me and a few tuners were brainstorming ideas.

No the industrial injection towing compounds uses a 62 non vgt

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
IIRC MPI's been using VGT's in their duramax setups for years.

Does Erics towing twins set use a VGT?
Duramax's and dodges can because of their PCM's. No one with a 6L is using a vgt on a set of twins.

·
Premium Member
31,729 Posts
What exactly in the 6.0 ECM prevents controlling a VGT turbo in a twin set?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I think when Shawn used a Vgt it didn't work because he sprayed the chit out of it.

Also...I had drive pressure, and boost pressure gauges hooked to my Vgt when it was a single, and at certain points they are at 2:1 drive to boost....not good.

·
Registered
425 Posts
What makes efi live so much better than the tuning products that we have ?

·
Premium Member
31,729 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,729 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
the sct and efi live software is not as different as they may appear. Both are capable of live tuning and recieving pre made tunes. I have seen both in cr applications and the params are almost the same just a differnt layout and execution.

I believe efi live doesn't fool with the fords due to sct being available. They have the dodges and chevy's and that brings in a ton of business on top of other applications.

·
Turbos = Witchcraft
2,740 Posts
What exactly in the 6.0 ECM prevents controlling a VGT turbo in a twin set?
This is the big question. I think it has something to do with how the 6.0 ECM determines what to tell the VGT vanes to do based on drive EBP and throttle position versus how duramax and Cummins ECMs determine, but I am not sure. I would love to hear more about this tho.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts