Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I Purchased the TW chip, but I overheated my exhaust pulling a 30 ft fifth wheel. I used the heavier tow setting. I have a 1996 OBS F350 7.3, and 3" DP and 4" exhaust. Also K&N factory style filter. What is next for my truck? One Mod seems to lead to another. I'm thinking intercooler, but is there a easier way, or do I need to send My TW chip back to get it checked out?

·
Registered
12 Posts
So do you think a new intake would lower my exhaust temps?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Per the instructions I installed the probe about 6" after the turbo on the down pipe. Boost level at about 25. The trailer weighs about 15,000 lbs. It is being pulled up in the mountains. Elevation around 8000 ft. d.y.i. intake sounds like a great idea. Where do I find an intercooler for my truck? I already have A TW chip, and That is what caused it to over heat. I pulled the same trailer up the same mountin two weaks ago without the TW chip and had no problems, or over heating. By the way thanks for all of your advice, and input.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i agree with big... you need to move that probe... your egt's are at least 200 degrees above what your gauges are saying right now..... i highly doubt its the TW chip fault for the reason it burned.... if you would of had any other programmer or chip it would do the same... you need to keep an eye on your EGT's... if it hits 1300 for more than a few seconds you need to get off the throttle....

what egt's are you at without the chip? move the probe and monitor your egt's without the chip in.. if they are still in the 1200 range then you got something else wrong....

-Raul
I'm not sure what the egt's where without the chip. I think around 1100. I will move the probe to the manifold. I just purchased the TW chip, and I wasn't aw struck with it's performance. The truck is still a little slugish. I had an edge chip a couple of months ago, and the truck was quick to respond to the peddal. I was wondering if durring the programing of my new TW chip if altitude was taken into consideration?

·
Registered
12 Posts
OK YOU HAVE A TONY WILDMAN CHIP OR DO YOU HAVE A TS CHIP WITH GENERIC TUNES????? FROM TS PERFORMANCE
I have TW tunes I purchased threw stealth.I paid upwards of 500.00 for the 6 program chip.

·
Registered
12 Posts
To be frank, if you were hitting 1100 degree's post turbo without a chip, you have other issue's to worry about.

You need to check the boost, sounds like you have some serious boost leaks or the turbo is about done for, I would pull the chip and drive it stock until you can do some deeper investigation. Feel free to send the chip back to me I will reburn it for you, no problem.
Thanks for jumping in on this thread. I'm not sure what the problem is yet. If egt gets to high what is it damaging? The turbo? How do you track down boost leaks? I was trying to avoid replacing or rebuilding the turbo. When he temps started getting high I had a total loss of power, and had to pull of the road to let everything cool down, also check engine light came on, after cooling down it went off. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'll make some modiffications before I send the chip back, unless you want to check it out anyway. Thanks TW

·
Registered
12 Posts
egt

i agree with big... you need to move that probe... your egt's are at least 200 degrees above what your gauges are saying right now..... i highly doubt its the TW chip fault for the reason it burned.... if you would of had any other programmer or chip it would do the same... you need to keep an eye on your EGT's... if it hits 1300 for more than a few seconds you need to get off the throttle....

what egt's are you at without the chip? move the probe and monitor your egt's without the chip in.. if they are still in the 1200 range then you got something else wrong....

-Raul
egt without the chip and still on thermocouple still on down pipe was at 1000. What could be causing the high egt? I noticed TW left me a note stating I may have boost pressure leaks. Does this mean a bad turbo?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for you addvice. I recently replaced the turbo. Made all the diffrence. can't beleive the power. The truck is still a little slugish with the race setting on the TW chip all other settings working great. What is the 18k mod and what does it do? Also I'm now getting close to 30 psi of boost should I change head bolts?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for your input. I used my truck over the weakend towing a 30ft fifth wheel, but unfortunatly I had problems again. I haven't had a chance to check it with a code reader. I think part of the problem is intake air, and second being the turbo I just installed. The compression ratio on the old turbo was 1.1 and I installed a turbo with a .98 compression ratio. Also did the diy air intake, but after running the truck hard for an hour the air in the engine compartment is so hot it wont compress properly for the right boost pressure. Any input would be great. Thanks in advance

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.