2. econ
3. daily
4. light tow
5. street
6. high idle

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
I would go with what you have BUT instead of Stock go with heavy tow. The econo is almost a stock setting, and if you really want stock you can just take the chip out. JMO though.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Stock, tow, all she's got is ALL you need. Everything else is just fluf for the pissin' contests on who's got the most programs yadda yadda yadda. The difference between 6 different positions isn't going to be hardly anything anyway so there really isn't any point.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stock, tow, all she's got is ALL you need. Everything else is just fluf for the pissin' contests on who's got the most programs yadda yadda yadda. The difference between 6 different positions isn't going to be hardly anything anyway so there really isn't any point.
People who run Tony's chip would beg to differ on that one.

·
Registered
959 Posts
It really doesn't matter who's chips you are running. If you are going from 200hp stock to 280-300hp with the chip cranked all the way up you might have 15-20hp difference between programs. What's the point in that? IMHO if the tow program is good enough to control EGTs when towing then that's all you need. Stock for if you let someone else drive it or if you take it in for emissions and all she's got when you want to run the ricers. Like I said IMHO the rest is just fluf so ya'll can brag about how many programs and what programs you got.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
It really doesn't matter who's chips you are running. If you are going from 200hp stock to 280-300hp with the chip cranked all the way up you might have 15-20hp difference between programs. What's the point in that? IMHO if the tow program is good enough to control EGTs when towing then that's all you need. Stock for if you let someone else drive it or if you take it in for emissions and all she's got when you want to run the ricers. Like I said IMHO the rest is just fluf so ya'll can brag about how many programs and what programs you got.
You sound like a very sour person, do you have many friends? :doh: :hehe:

Seriously....all the different setting on a chip are nice to have.

Here's what I've got on my chip

1. high idle
2. 40hp tow
3. 80hp economy
4. 100hp
5. 140hp
6. SMOKE

I would rather have the stock setting and lose the 80hp economy because I don't like the shift points of that particular setting. I normally run on the 140hp setting and find myself getting a little better MPG. The hard part is that the pedal is so responsive on that setting, you've got to have a very steady foot to get those extra MPG's.

There's also not much difference between the 140hp and smoke setting. I've heard you start to tell the difference whenever you get injectors upgraded.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I also have a ZF so I don't know if that would make a difference but there you go.

Can some one explain the bennies of a the HighIdle position, please.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I have econ,hi idle,heavy tow, street race. IN that order, the hi idle is nice, you put it on that so your truck's rpm's go up and warms up so much faster

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
hi idle like farmboy above said is good for letting the truck warm up in the morning (or cool down in summer time) or if you will be idling for exteneded periods of time to keep the EGT's up to keep the cylinders from washing.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys. That's what I thought but wasn't sure.

·
Registered
959 Posts
You sound like a very sour person, do you have many friends? :doh: :hehe:
Yeah I actually do! :thumb: Not sour just a realist that doesn't jump on bandwaggons and is a bit old school and doesn't get caught up in all the fluff.:wink[3]:

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
The high idle is nice because it will speed up the warmup process on a cold morning, and it will also help cool the truck down faster in the hot summer. As the engine is turning faster, so is the water pump and fan.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Most of the SDs will do that anyway if you set the E-brake. It is nice to be able to set the idle higher with an AIC but I wouldn't want it on a chip. About the time you either forget it's in that program and come to a stop and not realize it and not push the brake hard enough and end up in the back of someone else or loan your truck out and they get it on that program and either go to put it in gear or not realize it at a stop and hit something or someone it won't be so nice. There is a reason why on the AICs and the way the trucks are stock that raise the idle have it manditory that the e-brake is set and if you touch the brake it dissables it. It's a liability thing.

But honestly guys if y'all want 50 programs so that you can have 2hp increments yadda yadda yadda by all means go for it. Don't let my opinion stop you. I'm just saying all you ever really need is 3. Stock, tow/daily driver/all she's got. The only exception I would make to that is if you have other systems that are not used all the time like nitrous or propane and you have burns to run those when you are running them and the mornal burns for when you aren't.

·
Registered
553 Posts
on my custom tunes i have.
-stock
-high idle
-tow
-eco
-daily
-smoke

there is a difference in them all in the fuel curves. so its worth it to get the different tunes. but thats just my thinking. but youll love the custom tunes on the truck

·
Registered
511 Posts
What tunes do you guys I should order?

The only thing I pull is a jeep.

I'm thinking

1. stock
2. econ
3. daily
4. light tow
5. street
6. high idle
I don't recommend a stock setting, because like mentioned you could have something else. Since this is a new toy for you then you might want a stock to flip back and forth to compare things.

Remember, you can always get it reprogrammed later if you change your mind.

I had mine live tuned and now the all-out/race/extreme whatever can be driven in neighborhoods at 5mph nice and smooth. I was amazed at how many quirks each truck has and how Tony being in the passenger seat helps.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I don't recommend a stock setting, because like mentioned you could have something else. Since this is a new toy for you then you might want a stock to flip back and forth to compare things.

Remember, you can always get it reprogrammed later if you change your mind.

I had mine live tuned and now the all-out/race/extreme whatever can be driven in neighborhoods at 5mph nice and smooth. I was amazed at how many quirks each truck has and how Tony being in the passenger seat helps.
man thats just what he did for me. and there not tonys tunes. and i dont have to switch back to stock to know the difference in my tunes

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
I’ve had 4 programmers and 4 different chips. Currently Tony has my chip re-reburning it to;
Tow
Heavy Tow
Econo
Daily
Street
Extreme
I can’t wait to get it back, the truck drives like a dog without the chip. I had to tow my camper last weekend without the chip and the whole trip kinda sucked because of it.

With every chip and programmer I have had I could tell a real difference between settings. It seems like lots of parameters can be changed, especially auto tranny shift characteristics and fuel settings. I agree that most of the time I find myself only using two or three of the settings but the rest are nice to have when needed. I wish I had more than 6 choices so I could add stock and high idle. My truck will high idle automatically after sometime in the cold with the e-brake but I can’t make it happen when I want it to.

When I had stock and HI on one of the old chips I remember only using those settings very rarely and I have the computer box cut open so I can remove my chip in about 2 seconds if I need stock so I made different use of those two positions on the current chip.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts