Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got a ‘12 f250 that I bought new, I’ll be turning 200k this year in it and want to sink some money into it to make sure it’ll go another 200k. Its currently deleted w/ mini max tuner. Im thinking about doing the ‘17 turbo swap and hpfp. Also going ahead and doing the egr delete. Anything else y’all can think of I should change? I know the mini max is outdated so I’ll prob go with a different tuner. My truck does shift extremely hard sometimes going from 1-2 while driving around town. It mainly does it right after a long trip. It did it prior to deleting it but that just made it worse. Anyways open to any advice, what egr delete do y’all prefer? Been a great truck and I’d like to get some more out of it. IMG_2987.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Drunk Post Extraordinair
969 Posts
Its currently deleted w/ mini max tuner... Also going ahead and doing the egr delete.

You lost me here bro.

Never heard of one deleted with the EGR intact. I’d go ahead and put that first on the list, with a new tuner. Late model turbos and fuel systems are over my head. A solid tune and programmer will take you a long way. If you don’t raw hide that turbo it should be just fine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You lost me here bro.

Never heard of one deleted with the EGR intact. I’d go ahead and put that first on the list, with a new tuner. Late model turbos and fuel systems are over my head. A solid tune and programmer will take you a long way. If you don’t raw hide that turbo it should be just fine.

The shop that did it said the tune would eliminate the egr being used. And he was worried about breaking the bolt in the exhaust manifold(deleted at 110k). We didn’t see the cost vs reward on removing it at the time. But now that I’ve decided to keep it, I want to go ahead and get rid of it. Is there a certain kit your prefer?

·
Drunk Post Extraordinair
969 Posts
The shop that did it said the tune would eliminate the egr being used. And he was worried about breaking the bolt in the exhaust manifold(deleted at 110k). We didn’t see the cost vs reward on removing it at the time. But now that I’ve decided to keep it, I want to go ahead and get rid of it. Is there a certain kit your prefer?

Got you now man. Misunderstanding on my part.

I removed my EGR at 163k give or take. No problems for me, but the bolts breaking are a real threat. I think with the proper precautions, most of the time, things go ok. I went with No Limit Fabrication’s EGR delete. There are cheap kits out there but I buy American when I can. Plus they are a site sponsor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got you now man. Misunderstanding on my part.

I removed my EGR at 163k give or take. No problems for me, but the bolts breaking are a real threat. I think with the proper precautions, most of the time, things go ok. I went with No Limit Fabrication’s EGR delete. There are cheap kits out there but I buy American when I can. Plus they are a site sponsor.

Thanks for the input

·
Registered
64 Posts
The 'bad' (as if there's a good...) bolt to break on the egr is the exhaust manifold bolt. Guess what you have to replace when you swap to '17 turbo?...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 'bad' (as if there's a good...) bolt to break on the egr is the exhaust manifold bolt. Guess what you have to replace when you swap to '17 turbo?...

Yes sir that’s why I said I wanted to go ahead and do the egr delete with the new turbo configuration. At the time when I deleted it almost 100k ago I didn’t want to run the risk of snapping it off.

·
Registered
112 Posts
SCT X4, H&S Cold Side Pipe, +17 Turbo Retrofit Kit, 2015+ HPFP, New Tunes, S&B Intake with Dry Filter and Pre-Filter(remove clear plastic cover)......maybe throw in all fluid changes if not done already.

Call it a day after that unless anything else is worn out. I just did the Retrofit Kit and HPFP upgrade with new tunes and my 2013 runs so much better than before. Plus I don't feel like it's going to **** the bed on me at any moment. Lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SCT X4, H&S Cold Side Pipe, +17 Turbo Retrofit Kit, 2015+ HPFP, New Tunes, S&B Intake with Dry Filter and Pre-Filter(remove clear plastic cover)......maybe throw in all fluid changes if not done already.

Call it a day after that unless anything else is worn out. I just did the Retrofit Kit and HPFP upgrade with new tunes and my 2013 runs so much better than before. Plus I don't feel like it's going to **** the bed on me at any moment. Lol

Thanks for the input, yea I def go with a dry filter. I work in the oil fields of West Texas and a oil coated air filter doesn’t last long. I’ve been running the afe oem washable filter and it works well but I would def be looking to upgrade. Question for you, which year egr delete kit will I need if I’m going to do a 17+ retro. Does it still just need the one for 12’ or newer? Also what are your thoughts on the prevention kit for even the new cp4.2 hpfp. Do you think it’s worth doing that while installing the new pump?

·
Registered
112 Posts
My EGR Delete stayed the same if I remember correctly when I went with the retrofit kit. I didn't do anything with the new HPFP. Just installed it as is.

Thanks for the input, yea I def go with a dry filter. I work in the oil fields of West Texas and a oil coated air filter doesn’t last long. I’ve been running the afe oem washable filter and it works well but I would def be looking to upgrade. Question for you, which year egr delete kit will I need if I’m going to do a 17+ retro. Does it still just need the one for 12’ or newer? Also what are your thoughts on the prevention kit for even the new cp4.2 hpfp. Do you think it’s worth doing that while installing the new pump?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts