Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only have one key for my truck and I made the mistake of turning on “mykey”. Dealership said it would be $250 for a new key to make it an admin key. Does anyone know if I can buy a cheap 80bit Ford key and make it the admin key?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Check with a locksmith. I know most have programmers. Not sure if they can help in your situation.

Tom

·
Drunk Post Extraordinair
992 Posts
Tomshep’s right. When I bought my truck the MyKey was on and I only had one key. I had two more keys cut and programmed at a locksmith for $75. Granted that was a friend price and that’s not the key fob key, just a plain key.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check with a locksmith. I know most have programmers. Not sure if they can help in your situation.

Tom
Tomshep’s right. When I bought my truck the MyKey was on and I only had one key. I had two more keys cut and programmed at a locksmith for $75.
Granted that was a friend price and that’s not the key fob key, just a plain key.

I’ve heard that I might need to get two more keys. Plain keys would work just fine for me. Just trying to find a way to save some money. I’ll look up some locksmiths and try to get some pricing. Thanks for the info.

·
Drunk Post Extraordinair
992 Posts
I’ve heard that I might need to get two more keys. Plain keys would work just fine for me. Just trying to find a way to save some money. I’ll look up some locksmiths and try to get some pricing. Thanks for the info.
You’ll only need 2 keys to disable it. Check several locksmiths. The first one I called wanted something outrageous for a plain programmed key, like $150 or more. I’m thinking the guy I got mine done by charged $50 a programmed key normal price. Shop around for sure.

·
Super Moderator
1,534 Posts
I believe the latest version of FORScan can do the PATS key programming.

You can buy the 80 bit chip keys off eBay for $10 or less. They should have SA stamped on the key. Never had any problem programming them with the two key method in your owner's manual. Assumption made that they would also work if PATS needed reprogramming to remove MyKey at dealer or locksmith of FORScan.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Can someone explain this mykey deal to an idiot. I don’t understand the point of it.

·
Drunk Post Extraordinair
992 Posts
Can someone explain this mykey deal to an idiot. I don’t understand the point of it.

It sets limits on that particular key when the truck is operating by it. Limits top speed to 80 or 85. Limits radio volume. Not sure what else. Basically if you didn’t trust your 16 year old you could turn mykey on on his key.

·
Registered
246 Posts
It sets limits on that particular key when the truck is operating by it. Limits top speed to 80 or 85. Limits radio volume. Not sure what else. Basically if you didn’t trust your 16 year old you could turn mykey on on his key.

Wow didn’t have the faintest idea that’s what it did.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Yep, just a Nanny Key like filtering the internet or TV channels for kids (or maybe your wife?!?!?... LOL)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Yep, just a Nanny Key like filtering the internet or TV channels for kids (or maybe your wife?!?!?... LOL)
Or the idiot at the dealership working on your vehicle.

Tom

·
Registered
214 Posts
Go find a locksmith and see if he can help.

The "two keys" is referencing the trucks arrive at the dealer. You get TWO keys that are programmed to the truck. As long as you have two keys, you can add additional keys and program them without a dealer or programming needed. If you lose one key, then that second key won't help YOU program a 2nd key. It takes a programmer.

This is in more detail in your manual.

Tom

1 - 12 of 12 Posts