Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 ford f 250 diesel super duty 4x4 163000, turn key to on and all the needles spin around to as far as they can go, turn key off and they come back where they should be, truck would not turn over, no idea what it is, do any of you, thanks.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I cant say I jave had that happen on my Ford, but that did happen with my Grand Cherokee. The battery was toast.

Reactions: bismic

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
But can they carry a load? There is a difference in electric potential and the ability to handle a load.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, I will go buy two new battery`s once my brother gets done work, I live alone and no other wheels, Thank

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,998 Posts
As posted in the other thread - 12.7 is fully charged. 12.5 volts is still undercharged somewhat - approximately 80% charged (not as bad as 12 and 12.1 though!).

Since you did not update the other forum's thread - at least now you are getting 12.5 + volts .... when a few days ago you could only get 12 and 12.1 after charging (according to several of your posts). BTW - I have had relatively new batteries, showing 12.7 volts, drop to almost zero under a 500 amp load test.

As I posted on the other forum - have them load tested (as The Evil Twin posted above). Testing is free, so have that done before buying new ones - who knows, you may have wiring issues or even charger issues.

Have you checked the wiring and/or replaced the starter as recommended in the thread below?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Yes. Get them load tested first. Sorry, I should have been more specific as to what I was getting at. I would hate to see someone change the batteries and that was not the problem.
If that IS the issue then I would suggest getting the alternator load tested. There is always the possibility of a bad alternator taking the batteries out with it.

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
Was there any resolve in the no crank thread?
sounds like this is related

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry, I thought I said I was going to get two new battery`s but had to wait till my brother came back from Vac, we are going today when he gets done work, I will post what happens, Thank All of you for your time, Thank You.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I said I have no way to load test them, and noway to get them any where, I will take them to Auto Zone and have them tested before buying new ones, I JUST NEED TO WAIT FOR A RIDE, I am 73, no wife no kids and one brother, I said over and over I had to wait on him, sorry I wasted your time.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What don`t you understand, I said I have No Way to take them any where till my brother comes over tonight, money has nothing to do with it, he was gone when it started and just got back, it was not that I did not hear you guys, there just was no way I could take them to be tested, of course I would have them tested before I spent near $300, on new ones, I thank you so much for all you`ve done, what more can I say.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Brother just got here a bit ago did a load test on them, each battery had 12.6 volts, had juice to the solenoid, I have no idea.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
2003 ford f 250 diesel super duty 4x4 163000, turn key to on and all the needles spin around to as far as they can go, turn key off and they come back where they should be, truck would not turn over, no idea what it is, do any of you, thanks.
Sounds like a bad ground connection

·
5,998 Posts
Totally agree Zmann! My new (fully charged) batteries will drop to 11.5-11.7 when cranking and that is about a 400-500 amp load. Even dropping to 10.5 is considered acceptable (although I consider that borderline). My 130A load tester will drop good batteries to 12V or so. Sounds like the test was a small load to remove the surface charge on a freshly charged battery.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Did you try checking that ground block under the hood, drivers side If I remember. Had the gauges go crazy on an 03 7.3 wouldn’t start. Ground block corroded horribly cleaned it up and replaced ring terminals. Gauges worked and truck started.

·
5,998 Posts
That was suggested in one of his other threads. He didn't respond on that. He did post (on a different forum) that a new starter fixed his issue.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts