Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys im new to the site i work at grand rock with josh stewart.. well i had a quick question my buddy has a late 99 and has stage 3 injectors with no turbo(dont worry injectors are not in yet) and was wondering if the garret 38r would hold these injectors and if so what kind of power is he looking at with a fass fuel system the 180/200gph pump a bts trans and exhaust and intake obvisoly . he wants to have david lott also tune this truck so any power number idea or if this combo would even work thanks a ton for any feed back at all

Zach

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
With Lott's mini-me stage 3 injectors and a GT38R, he guarantees 450hp with his tuning. So, I would have to say if Lott tunes it and it is a hybrid/gt38R combo it should be close to 450hp.

A little reading from DI's website:
Diesel Innovations - Products

·
Registered
959 Posts
The 38R will work but it's really not enough to get the full bang out of a set of hybrid injectors. A lot of guys have reported a lot of surge issues with that turbo and that big of an injector as well. You'd need to step up to something like the H2E or bigger to really get good air to the engine with those injectors but that costs more and is a lot more work to install.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
he was also wondering about the hightech big bad wolf? i think they call it??? cuz i run a garret 42 but he doesnt really want to spend that money

·
Ole White
5,253 Posts
The BBW is similiar to a D-66 which isn't a bad turbo but for Stage III's he needs at least a GT-38 or for no surge issues a Turbonetics BB which (Maintain) runs and I do also and has been a great turbo so far but if he wants something to build on and be able to Upgrade definately go with the H2E or a Modded H2E its more money but in the end will be worth it

Oh and WELCOME TO ORG! ! !

·
Registered
959 Posts
The BBW, Ball Buster, HTPS, is NOTHING like a D66. Two completely different turbos. The D66 is based off the '94-early '99 turbos. The others are a completely upgraded compressor housing and wheel and are based of the late '99-'03 turbos and is a drop in for those years. It's fairly compreable to the 38R just it doesn't have a ball bearing center section so it spools a little slower but air flow is as much or more and doesn't surge like the 38R does.

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
Just an FYI, The D66 is a built for whatever year you want. Not just the OBS and early99. Don't believe me, call Bean. Plus they meet "work stock" for pulling..... :nod:

·
Registered
497 Posts
The BBW, Ball Buster, HTPS, is NOTHING like a D66. Two completely different turbos. The D66 is based off the '94-early '99 turbos. The others are a completely upgraded compressor housing and wheel and are based of the late '99-'03 turbos and is a drop in for those years. It's fairly compreable to the 38R just it doesn't have a ball bearing center section so it spools a little slower but air flow is as much or more and doesn't surge like the 38R CAN.
Fixed it for your GTS.

·
Registered
959 Posts
No actually it's pretty well documented that with a stage III hybrid injector they do. Not just can. Especially when towing.

·
Registered
411 Posts
No actually it's pretty well documented that with a stage III hybrid injector they do. Not just can. Especially when towing.
HMMMM, never heard of that. I have stage 2's and have had no issues..

·
Registered
497 Posts
yea, i dont hear of too many issues with the 38R surging with many different injectors. It still means IT CAN surge, DOESNT mean IT WILL.

·
Registered
959 Posts
It's been very well documented on other forums. Maybe this forum is to young to have gotten most of that info. On TDS awhile back there were many complaints of hybrids making BB turbos surge like mad. That's why the whole 1.15 nonwastegated housing trend got going.

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
From seeing waht you guys are saying if I want to put in a bigger turbo I definatly need to install injectors
Larger injectors are not necessary to run a BB turbo.

What they are saying is larger injectors have been known to make the BB turbo to surge easier than with stock injectors.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I also wanted to know will a 04-07 6.0 turbo fit on a 02 7.3. I have heard that the intercooler is a direct bolt on I was wondering if that would be a good swap without have to install studs in the heads. I was going to install a tw chip before i did this swap just wanted some input on what was best.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I also wanted to know will a 04-07 6.0 turbo fit on a 02 7.3. I have heard that the intercooler is a direct bolt on I was wondering if that would be a good swap without have to install studs in the heads. I was going to install a tw chip before i did this swap just wanted some input on what was best.
No, the turbo will not fit on an '02 7.3 truck but you're correct on the intercooler part, that will bolt right in.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts