Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 94 7.3 IDI thats got amazing power off the line due to my gears but I am planning on turboing my engine soon. I know that these engines will run forever cause my ag teacher is over 600,000 and still runnin strong. Im an 320,000 and plan on boosting the injection pump(after i buy a pyrometer) and runnin stacks. I am wondering what is the best kind of turbo, a hypermaxx or a ats or should i keep looking for one buy international? Any other tips on getting more smoke and power is greatly appreciated. Thanks and Gig'Em

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have the Banks on my truck, and i love it, but I don't know if its still available. It is very complete and was a simple install. I have heard ATS & Hypermax are very good, just not very complete. Your best bet would be to contact each one's tech department and see which is best for your budget, skills, ect.

·
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER
5,877 Posts
The ATS kit is much like the one used on '94 IDI factory turbos. I personally like the sidewinder.

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
To my knowledge ATS is the one that designed the turbo system on the 94 idi's. Might be the best shot.

·
Registered
190 Posts
No dyno #'s but it made a huge difference.....best bolt on ever.

·
Registered
190 Posts
so its a big noticiable difference in power, smoke, and milage
No real #'s but after I installed it I was able to outrun my friend's STOCK PSD. I added the propane to keep up with him after he modded his.

The smoke actually decreased after the install, and thats with me even turning the pump up more than the install manual tells you to.

Mileage did increase although not like i was under the impression i got that it would, but its probably due to the way I drive it. I gained 2-3 mpg in city and 5-6 on the highway.

The banks kit was very complete, it had every fastener, clamp, nut, ect. I like that in a "kit". Didn't have to make any trips to the store to pick up stuff. It took two of us 6-8 hours over a weekend to do the install, really pretty straight forward and not to difficult.

Hope this helps ya out and iff you need more info/pics or anything let me know.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
how much was your banks sidewinder kit

·
Registered
190 Posts
If I remember right it was around $2600....from Banks directly. I got it from the previous owner when I bought the truck (hadn't been installed). Keep in mind that is very,very complete, like I said, I don't think there was a single bolt, screw or nut missing out of the kit.

·
Banned
1,684 Posts
Advanced Turbo Systems designed the kit, Not the ATS that everyone knows.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
do you like the ats
i contacted banks and their kit runs 3167 for a ship to the door
but i hear hypermax is also really good
im a college kid lookin to get the most out of my truck so cost is important

1 - 14 of 14 Posts