Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
My 7.3l is completely stock (engine, exhaust, and intake wise). I was wondering how do i get that "turbo whistle" some of you guys get off your trucks. I cant straight pipe it cause im going to be plowing residential driveways this winter and i don't think they would like a straight piped 7.3 diesel going up and down their driveway at 3am:help:...

Thanks Guys,
Tom

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
Get an intake or a diy intake, and a down pipe, that should help

·
Registered
368 Posts
Non sense on a straight pipe, they're only loud if you romp on them. My truck makes a low whistle when I'm just driving but its not by any means "loud and obnoxious," only way it will be loud is if you're on of the people who "rams" the snow and then yeah, itll be loud but youll have the noise from the engine to compete with. The intake and dp will help but the cat and muffler are huge blockers of the noise.

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What would happen if i delete the cat and stock muffler and put a MBRP muffler on?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Straight pipe will definitely make it louder. Buddy has his straight piped and mine is bone stock with cat and muffler, tons of difference. I do believe a down pipe would make the most difference though, from what others have said on the forum. Not sure if you looked at yours yet or not, but it is pretty restrictive. I can't here mine whistle at all either.

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is a 7.3 extremely obnoxious straight piped?

·
Registered
583 Posts
I did the down pipe last year and then a few months later did the 6637 air filter ,both were improvements performance wise and a little turbo whistle.Two weeks ago the 4 inch Diamond Eye with muffler was installed without a cat and I must say the whistle is much more noticeable without too much increase in exhaust noise levels.My original equipment muffler was a straight thru design like Diamond Eye and for that matter the cat was also straight thru.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Not really, but if i get on it in a hotter tune it will bark pretty good. Kinda annoying though cause everybody just looks at me. :hehe:

But my truck doesn't sound like a 7.3.

·
Registered
999 Posts
If I put my TS chip in the stock setting, the truck isn't much louder than with the muffler on it as long as I am not heavy on the throttle.

A straight pipe and intake is the only way to get the sound you are looking for. The muffler eliminates all noise, hence why it is called a muffler.

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any good sites you guys recommend for a straight pipe/new exhaust system... Ive looked on PDP and they only had stuff for the 99-03 7.3l

Do you guys recommend the Tony Wildman Chip? Just looking for tow tunes, high idle, and just a little more hp.

Thanks

Tom

·
Registered
999 Posts
Any good sites you guys recommend for a straight pipe/new exhaust system... Ive looked on PDP and they only had stuff for the 99-03 7.3l

Do you guys recommend the Tony Wildman Chip?

Thanks

Tom
MBRP is about the best. If you use it as a plow truck, go stainless.

Tony uses the TS chips. He just burns his tunes into them. He is about the best for the 7.3.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The only way your truck will be loud plowing snow is if you have a manual. The 7.3 gets loud at wide open throttle.

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea my mason dump is an auto, But I'm kinda glad i got a auto cause running a manual plowing snow is probably a pain in the bawls.

So I'm probably going to do is get a new exhaust system from MBRP straight piped version alone with down pipe, Add the MBRP muffler and see how it sounds, remove the cat, get the Tony Wildman chip, and hopefully get an intake... We will see how that goes...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yeah plowing snow is nicer in an auto as long as your nice to it and stop before you shift it. ha. You will be happy with Wildman tunes and also make sure you get gauges especially the tranny gauge to keep an eye on it while your plowing.

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The fricken gauges with the wild man tune is an extra 350! haha but its worth it then frying your trans...

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Whats a good site for new MBRP straight pipe exhaust systems?

Tom

·
Registered
999 Posts
You can buy the MBRP direct.

Don't get a muffler; it won't be a straight pipe if you have a muffler. The muffler is a waste and you will want it gone in no time.

The 7.3's are NOT loud without a muffler. If I can drive through my neighborhood at 4am without anyone of the oldies complaining, it isn't loud.

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yea, Im gonna check into the pipe and muffler and intake... hopefully i can get it done before winter.

Also, My truck didn't come with cup holders and i saw a picture of some cup holders on top of the trans tunnel. It looked after market but looked really nice.Anyone know where i can get some?

Tom

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
What cab config is your truck? And what seat option do you have, is it stick or auto?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts