Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I am starting to tear my truck engine down because i am looking to replace my stock injectors with stage 1's. I pulled the turbo tubing and found out that my wheel is either bent or just really scratched up... Can any of you clear this up for me please? Thank you for your insight. A little backstory... My stock intake had a hole in the side that wasn't taped up or covered or anything when I first purchased the truck so the tard that was the owner before me could have ruined this. I spun the wheel and it doesn't scrape or stop, it spins normally. I know that the scratches are a bad thing. My question is: Should the wheel be bent like that? Thank you. P.S. I already replaced the intake with a cold air intake!

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Something more than dirt went through there, that impeller is hurt pretty bad I would definitely think about getting the turbo rebuilt.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Something more than dirt went through there, that impeller is hurt pretty bad I would definitely think about getting the turbo rebuilt.
I think the previous owner messed it up... the engine still runs great! but that impeller is all scratched up. My question is; should the impeller be bent like that?

·
Registered
2,870 Posts

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Agreed that turbo is done. You could rebuilt w/ a new wheel though but I'd have a shop do it so it can be rebalanced.

·
Registered
662 Posts
i have a turbo ill sell you...

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah damn! I don't have money for a new turbo at the moment :( I just spent money on stage 1's! Do you all think that just the impeller and ONLY the impeller is messed up? Or the whole turbo is finished?

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
It is one of those hard to tell things without taking it apart and inspecting the bearings and shaft. You may be able to replace the impeller and be fine but then again maybe not. With the rpm's that a turbo turns I would rather be on the cautious side. Here's a picture of a superduty turbo of what can happen.

Attachments

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is one of those hard to tell things without taking it apart and inspecting the bearings and shaft. You may be able to replace the impeller and be fine but then again maybe not. With the rpm's that a turbo turns I would rather be on the cautious side. Here's a picture of a superduty turbo of what can happen.
Right on. As far as I know, this truck has had this bent wheel for a while. I still get boost, but I know it isn't good for the wheel to be like this. Especially since I am putting in new injectors and looking to get a chip. I think instead of a chip I will have to look in to getting a new turbo. It's not a big deal, I just don't want to push that turbo with the bent wheel. I am confused as to what to do :( I wish I had an unlimited supply of money! Don't we all though? haha. Well... thank you all for the information. It is appreciated!

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
See what hcstroker wants for his turbo, might be a good deal. You don't show a location but I have Ron's turbo service in Salt Lake City do most of my turbo work. With the much more boost that you will get with stage 1's I would fix the turbo first.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
See what hcstroker wants for his turbo, might be a good deal. You don't show a location but I have Ron's turbo service in Salt Lake City do most of my turbo work. With the much more boost that you will get with stage 1's I would fix the turbo first.

I am in Denver, Colorado. I have ATS Diesel here that could rebuild it and balance it. That's all I'm aware of. I will have to give them a call and purchase that wicked wheel within the next week before i get those new injectors! I don't have enough money to purchase hcstroker's turbo right now... I am hoping only the impeller is damaged. I am going to go rip it apart and see what I can do. Thank you!

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Best of luck. BTW in case you didn't know, that wicked wheel is exactly the same wheel our trucks already have stock.

·
Registered
662 Posts
i dont want alot for it..make me an offer

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Best of luck. BTW in case you didn't know, that wicked wheel is exactly the same wheel our trucks already have stock.
Ya I knew that! I just didn't want to confuse you in to thinking I am oblivious! Thank you for your help! It's appreciated!

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Ah damn! I don't have money for a new turbo at the moment :( I just spent money on stage 1's! Do you all think that just the impeller and ONLY the impeller is messed up? Or the whole turbo is finished?
Very hard to say, but if one of the wheels has a messed up blade I wouldn't chance a normal rebuild kit w/out having a shop do it so they can balance it. I can almost guarantee its out of balance.

Right on. As far as I know, this truck has had this bent wheel for a while. I still get boost, but I know it isn't good for the wheel to be like this. Especially since I am putting in new injectors and looking to get a chip. I think instead of a chip I will have to look in to getting a new turbo. It's not a big deal, I just don't want to push that turbo with the bent wheel. I am confused as to what to do :( I wish I had an unlimited supply of money! Don't we all though? haha. Well... thank you all for the information. It is appreciated!
the problem w/ bent fins on the wheels is that the turbo has to work substantially harder for boost to match boost requested. this means the probability of you over speeding your turbo is 100% guaranteed.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Very hard to say, but if one of the wheels has a messed up blade I wouldn't chance a normal rebuild kit w/out having a shop do it so they can balance it. I can almost guarantee its out of balance.

the problem w/ bent fins on the wheels is that the turbo has to work substantially harder for boost to match boost requested. this means the probability of you over speeding your turbo is 100% guaranteed.
Damn. I'm really bothered. I have 2 weeks to fix this before my injectors come in. Hopefully I can figure something out.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Send that guy above an offer or have a shop rebuild it. These garretts aren't rocket science to rebuild and usually dont have any issues (such as a vgt would).

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Send that guy above an offer or have a shop rebuild it. These garretts aren't rocket science to rebuild and usually dont have any issues (such as a vgt would).
Is it impossible to balance them without having a shop do it? I really am scrounging for money right now. I am tearing that turbo apart today to see if there's anything else damaged

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

1 - 20 of 34 Posts