Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know plus or minus temperature is in the area between the heatshielding & the turbine @ anywhere from normal operating temp. to about highway speeds? I've found some aluminum ducting tape from the local hardware store that says it's good for 260deg. I know my exhaust gas runs @ about 500(cruising speed) to about 1150-1250(standing on it). How much heat would the turbine housing generate? I need to know if this tape will help or just melt.

·
Desert Shield/Storm Vet
9,092 Posts
There is some cooling from the time the gases hit your probe to getting to the turbine side, but not enough to use 260 degree tape in my opinion.

·
PMR = JUNK
11,244 Posts
Why would you want to put tape on it?

·
Stupidity pisses me off
3,861 Posts
Wouldn't it turn into a big sticky gooey mess? Then you'll be doing another foil delete mod! :hehe:

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not duct tape it's ducting tape. It's used for HVAC type stuff. It's like aluminum foil with a really sticky adhesive on the backside. It comes in a role about the width, maybe a little wider than duct tape. It has a paper backing you peel it from and stick it to an area you need protected from a heat source. So it's not actually tape, it's a role of insta-heatshield.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is some cooling from the time the gases hit your probe to getting to the turbine side, but not enough to use 260 degree tape in my opinion.
Here's my thing: I've got 2 pyrometers. 1 @ the driver's manifold where I get data from the Six-Gun, & a 2nd @ the Power Elbow behind the turbine housing. Typically, under acceleration with low or high boost, the Power Elbow pyro reads higher temps than the Six-Gun, when the Six-Gun is showing me higher temps @ idle(until cooled). I was worried the heat strips(or "tape" as I've coined it) wouldn't hold up when my Power Elbow pyro is reading about 850-1250deg under WOT. Should the heat strips be ok?

·
Desert Shield/Storm Vet
9,092 Posts
I wouldn't use it. Check out a place like jeggs that has the high temp header tape that should work. Can I ask what your trying to accomplish?

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can I ask what your trying to accomplish?
I've got a rip in the firewall heatshielding, from removing the turbo recently, that exposed the fiberglass "horsehair" material. The "hair" was being smoldered from a combination of the turbine housing temp, & an exhaust leak from the up pipes I had corrected. Although there's no more hot exhaust gasses REALLY burning the hair up, it'll still burn from the turbine housing temp., resulting in that oh-so-lovely toxic-smelling smoke that comes through the defroster vents. I'm trying to find a material that does the same job the heat shielding does, is easy to install, is worry-free, and doesn't cost an arm & leg. This HVAC stripping I found is the only thing I could come up with. It's heat reflective like the heatshielding & seems to have a really good adhesive that installs easy. The role cost $20. I also want to make sure that I've found either a permanant or temporary fix for this. If it's the latter, I need to find out what I actually need.:nod:

·
Stupidity pisses me off
3,861 Posts
Couldn't you just put the tape you want to use over the ripped heatshielding on the firewall in a couple of layers to replace the material that was ripped?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Just get stuff made for the application...

Your turbine housing will exceed 260 degrees under full boost.

·
Desert Shield/Storm Vet
9,092 Posts
Oh okay that makes more sense sorry I was confused on what your intention was. That should hold up on the insulation I would think.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Couldn't you just put the tape you want to use over the ripped heatshielding on the firewall in a couple of layers to replace the material that was ripped?
Yes, I can. I just needed info on seeing if this stuff I have is worth it. With the paper backing it has makes it simple to cut with scissors to any length desired. The problem is if this stuff's junk, I'll memorizing the length I need cut........on a weekly basis.:hehe:

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh okay that makes more sense sorry I was confused on what your intention was. That should hold up on the insulation I would think.
Sorry about the confusion. I'll give the stuff a try & keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, this "heatshield tape" is holding up excellent! For only $20, I saved myself a $200 job @ the local Ford dealership! It's day 2 & I've been driving the crap out of my rig. The strips seem to withstand the heat near the turbine housing & are showing no signs of fatigue. The trick is to make sure ALL edges of the strips are adhered completely to the surface it's being put on. I used a 2' prybar and zip tied a rag to the end of it. The curved end of the prybar got behind all those hard-to-reach crevices & massaged the strips onto the surface. After a few hrs. of errands both days, the strips haven't even shown any color changing from heat. I don't know if I can mention the brand of the tape, but if you go to any hardware store & ask for heatshielding tape for A/C or HVAC systems, they'll point you in the right direction.:thumb:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts